Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Best PULLED PORK I've had.... and FIRST TIME egging it!

Options
2»

Comments

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    KiterTodd said:
    drewmack said:
    Did you go fat cap up?
    Yes, fat cap up.  The white part you see is where the bark cracked as the fat reduced (I guess).
    What do you do?

I've seen both sides discussed.  I seem to always put the fat cap on top to let it baste the meat as it melts.  Seem to work fine and I'll continue to do that. 
    The only negative I can see is that if you really like bark, you typically lose the bark on the fat cap (unless you eat all the fat) and the bark on the bottom doesn't build up as thick since you are sitting on the grill grates.  I seemed to have plenty left for my taste, though.
    This is exactly why I go cap down. Fat insulates the bottom from radiant heat and more bark for me.
  • thailandjohn
    thailandjohn Posts: 952
    Options
    The reason I go fat down is, the fat on top will not render through the meat but will just run off the sides....the bottom will stick to the grate and I would lose the good bark...with fat down, I am able to get a nice bark on top to mix in with the pulled pork.....I also only do low and slow.....your results look outstanding so if I were you, I would not change what your doing i
  • KenfromMI
    KenfromMI Posts: 742
    Options
    You had me until the Vinegar sauce LOL............Looks great, would look even better with a nice sweet BBQ sauce on it LOL
    Dearborn MI
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    edited July 2014
    Options
    KenfromMI said:
    You had me until the Vinegar sauce LOL............Looks great, would look even better with a nice sweet BBQ sauce on it LOL

:))  No worries, sweet BBQ sauce on the side.  ;)

The kids put ketchup on theirs.   That's their mothers fault.  I can't take responsibility for that nonsense...
    LBGE/Maryland
  • KenfromMI
    KenfromMI Posts: 742
    Options
    Ketchup?  lol
    Dearborn MI
  • MGBBob80
    MGBBob80 Posts: 20
    Options
    Nice job!  I'm doing a 9 pounder as I type - looking forward to dinner!!!
    I reserve the right to be better tomorrow than I am today!
  • Nanook
    Nanook Posts: 846
    Options
    Man.....that looks amazing!! =D> =D>
    GWN
  • AmericanFlannel
    Options
    Best way I have found to reheat - get a foodsaver and vacuum seal it in a bag when storing. take the bag and put it in simmering water and heat til warm (not venting the tightly sealed bag keeps all the moisture in when reheating. i put a little sauce in before i seal it up as well to add a little more moisture)
  • ponder
    ponder Posts: 77
    Options
    Best way I have found to reheat - get a foodsaver and vacuum seal it in a bag when storing. take the bag and put it in simmering water and heat til warm (not venting the tightly sealed bag keeps all the moisture in when reheating. i put a little sauce in before i seal it up as well to add a little more moisture)

Now that right there is why I have this forum at the top of my favorites list...people sharing tips like that.
    Bloomington Springs, TN... LBGE, charcuterie, winemaker, cheesemaker, experimental plumber and approximate carpenter. Selective misanthrope and budding retrophrenologist.
  • AmericanFlannel
    Options
    I learned it here
  • llrickman
    llrickman Posts: 654
    Options
    put a 7lber on at 4:30 this am, its at 194 now been there for about 2 hours gonna let it go just a while longer till that bone loosens up a little more. It smells soo good
    2 LBGE
    Digi Q
    green Thermapen
    AR

Albuquerque, NM
  • AmericanFlannel
    Options
    203 is the magic number. The more I see it said the more I try it the more I believe in the 203.
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Options
    203 is the magic number. The more I see it said the more I try it the more I believe in the 203.
    Ha!  That's funny...I was shooting for 200, but by the time I got around to pulling it, the gauge was 203!   As I said...when I did an external temp probe survey before pulling it off the temps ranged between 200 and 206 depending where I poked.   All good!
    LBGE/Maryland