Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

fly....away

Options
henapple
henapple Posts: 16,025
The mancave was full of flies today. Not sure why. I hung a ziploc filled with water and it helped a little. Tried vodka on the table but didn't help. Finally put the fan on it and cleared most of them. Any suggestions?
Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 

Comments

• Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Had an issue a while back with Cluster Flies. https://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1155294/cluster-flies Means there is a dead animal near by. My son and I had a blast (pun intended) with the Bug A Salt gun. After a couple days flies went away. We probably killed a few dozen or so. Mrs. TJ didn't like all the salt all over the house. Never found a dead animal except for a mouse in the basement.
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Options
    Drink more vodka... Then the flies just sound like inlaws and you find yourself in party mode.
  • cajuncook
    cajuncook Posts: 99
    Options
    Battery powered electric fly swatter. Makes them suckers fry. $6 at Wally World.
    Live on beautiful Lake Hartwell GA
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Dry aging means to use a fridge, not a ceiling hook in the mancave.....What's with the vodka on the table, never heard of that...
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    I've got some red granular fly bait that I use to sprinkle out on my porch at the camp. The next day you will be sweeping up all the dead flies. I just make sure and do it when kids and pets aren't around.

Little Rock, AR

• stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    Turn the AC as cold as you can. Should slow the little bastards down enough to catch/kill them.
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,675
    edited July 2014
    Options
    Put a shinny penny in the bag. Not sure how well it works but they hang in front of Johnny's here where you eat.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    We've been inundated with them too. All over the patio area and coming in the house. Little bastards just showed up one day. I hate summer.
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,500
    Options
    Check out @nolaegghead's thread about raccoons-may be some great methods there. :)>-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • GQuiz
    GQuiz Posts: 701
    Options
    Please appreciate the humor... Quit using port-a-johns as man caves. :))

XL BGE; Schertz TX by way of Stow OH. #egghead4life
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Options
    Sounds like it might be time for a fresh bacon wrap!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    I use insecticides. Hell, I don't even have ants in my yard anymore!
    NW IOWA
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,515
    Options
    "I hung a ziploc filled with water and it helped a little."

.........??

"Commander, say hello to Cricket!"  - KN

• HDumptyEsq
    HDumptyEsq Posts: 1,095
    Options
    You know where flies land……..

Tony in Brentwood, TN.

Medium BGE, New Braunfels off-set smoker, 3-burner Charbroiler gasser, mainly used for Eggcessory  storage, old electric upright now used for Amaz-N-Smoker.

"I like cooking with wine - sometimes I put it in the food." - W. C. Fields

• henapple
    Options
    Botch said:

"I hung a ziploc filled with water and it helped a little."

.........??
    A lot of restaurants hang one by the back door full of water with a penny in it.
  • Botch
    Options
    Okay, but what does that do?  Do the flies land in the water, or see their reflection, or....?   :-/

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Chemicals, lots of them. Oh, wait, that's for me...
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • henapple
    Options
    @Botch‌ ...idk. I forgot the penny yesterday but today it seems to keep them off the prep table.
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    The theory is that reflecting light off the bag bothers the flies. Does it work? One controlled experiment showed that rooms with the bags actually had more flies than those with no bags. There are many kinds of flies, so it may work for some, just not the ones in the location where the experiment was done.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• Botch
    Options
    The theory is that reflecting light off the bag bothers the flies. Does it work? One controlled experiment showed that rooms with the bags actually had more flies than those with no bags. There are many kinds of flies, so it may work for some, just not the ones in the location where the experiment was done.

Ah!  With the compound eyes that flies have, that makes a lot of sense.
    Wonder what a strobe light would do?  Hmmm.  

• henapple
    Options
    Make them get high?
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    henapple said:

Make them get high?

I'd probably show up.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker