Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sauces

Options
I'm doing a couple spatchcock chickens tonight and I'm looking for a couple sauces I could make that would accompany the chicken. Any good bbq or others that I could make? Love vinegar... Thanks for the help.
Large BGE, DigiQ DX2

Comments

• HDumptyEsq
    HDumptyEsq Posts: 1,095
    Options
    I love to boil some crushed red chili flakes in apple cider vinegar and a little sugar.
    Say 1 cup vinegar, 1 tbs pepper flakes, 1 tbs sugar. It's simple but packs a lot of flavor and a spicy kick. Boiling the flakes for about 5 minutes takes the sting out but leaves the warm buzz.
    I use it on chicken or pulled pork, just for a change.
    I make my own BBQ sauce but I never keep the amounts of stuff recorded so it turns out differently every time.

Tony in Brentwood, TN.

Medium BGE, New Braunfels off-set smoker, 3-burner Charbroiler gasser, mainly used for Eggcessory  storage, old electric upright now used for Amaz-N-Smoker.

"I like cooking with wine - sometimes I put it in the food." - W. C. Fields

• brianwdmn
    brianwdmn Posts: 371
    Options
    In my experience chicken cooked this way, with a rub and light smoke, at an Egg temperature above 350 will yield a bird that doesn't need a sauce. It will retain enough moisture if cooked to the internal temperature of 160 at the breast and 175-180 at the thigh.
    Marietta, East Cobb, GA
  • CarolinaCrazy
    Options

I love a peruvian green sauce with spatchcocked chicken. 

Just google it. It's similar to a chimmichuri but with a bit of mayo to make it creamier.
    1 LBGE in Chapel Hill, NC
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited July 2014
    Options
    Tangy sweet sauce used for long time, SWMBO likes this if we don't have her favourite commercial sauce around. Goes well with chicken, more of a mop than a thick sauce, but due to sugar content it will caramelize. (240ml=1 cup, 15ml=1Tbs, 5ml=1tsp)

240ml organic tomato sauce (in a pinch substitute ketchup)

45ml apple cider vinegar

15ml lemon juice (fresh or concentrate)

15ml honey

15ml Worcestershire sauce

30ml Turbinado sugar (in a pinch substitute brown sugar)

5ml onion powder

2.5ml Ancho Chili Powder (in a pinch substitute regular chili powder, omit cayenne)

2.5ml mustard powder

2.5ml granulated garlic

1.25ml cayenne (if using regular chili powder, omit)

1.25ml smoked paprika (in a pinch substitute regular paprika)

Dump into a sauce pan, bring to a boil, let simmer for 10 minutes, stirring so does not burn. Cool completely before use or store in fridge. 

Yields 250ml.

Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Chimichurri or try Shack Attack from bbq brethren.
    Greensboro, NC
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    Look up Bob Gibsons white sauce.  Here is my variation:  Great on shrimp also:

• 0oHUNTo0
    0oHUNTo0 Posts: 34
    Options
    Thanks for the help. 
    Large BGE, DigiQ DX2