Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Easy raised grid for SBGE

Options
I found this idea somewhere on the forum a few weeks ago (sorry I can't give credit where credit is due but it was a very old thread). I really want a Woo for the SBGE but I'm a tight ass and don't want to spend the money right now so I decided to do a homemade deal. I bought a piece of 1" square tubing for $7 and made risers for my grid. I plan to use it for tailgating this Fall and I would like to be able to make spatchcock chicken, wings, and brats without interfering with my pre game beer drinking (i.e. raised direct). As always, it took a little longer to make than I thought but I'm quite pleased with the results as the grid is very stable with the notches ground into the top of the risers. I did have to make a relief cut in one so that it wasn't too tight on the fire ring. I guess the tolerance on fire ring thickness varies a bit.

imageimageimageimage
L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
eggAddict from MN!

Comments

• cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,195
    Options
    That is awesome. Nice work.
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,582
    edited July 2014
    Options
    That's neat, thanks for sharing.
    canuckland
  • minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Options
    @Canugghead and @cookingdude555 - Thanks guys. I'm sure you could do the same thing for the other size eggs but bigger tubing will be required as the fire rings get thicker.
    eggAddict from MN!
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,733
    Options
    Pretty neat.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Nice! I will be doing this.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • minniemoh
    Options
    Thanks! @caliking and @DMW

Just a note: mine rusted right away before I used them but I didn't want paint inside the egg. Cook one spatchcock and they have enough grease on them to not rust anymore.
    eggAddict from MN!
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,733
    Options
    How about hitting them with Pam before the first cook?

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • minniemoh
    Options
    That would have been a great idea @caliking. Sure wish I had thought of that. I made them and didn't get to use them for a couple of days. I had them sitting on my BGE table and a thunderstorm came through. Rust... end of story. 
    eggAddict from MN!
  • Canugghead
    edited July 2014
    Options
    @minniemoh said: 
    ... but I'm a tight ass and don't want to spend the money right now so I decided to do a homemade deal. I bought a piece of 1" square tubing for $7 ...
    haha, you ain't met no tight ass yet, I found this when dumpster diving. I already have grid extender, nuts/bolts and AR, but one can never have too many eggcessories, right?  With your Small I notice there's a larger gap between the fire ring and egg base for the outer legs. My Large has a much tighter fire ring, and the tube is larger, so I probably need to make each post one-legged or trim down the outer leg.

canuckland
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Great idea, works well I bet. Use some caution when putting anything between the outside edge of the fire ring and the base. The ceramic parts do expand and if your support posts are jammed in the space you might crack or damage the fire ring. 

All in all, great idea - thanks for sharing.
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Canugghead
    Options
    another idea, if I get the smaller tube and nest it inside the larger one with predrilled holes, shown two posts above, the posts will be height adjustable!
    canuckland
  • Canugghead
    edited July 2014
    Options
    Great idea, works well I bet. Use some caution when putting anything between the outside edge of the fire ring and the base. The ceramic parts do expand and if your support posts are jammed in the space you might crack or damage the fire ring. 

All in all, great idea - thanks for sharing.
    true, I'm leaning towards the one-legged design but the stability may be compromised. Also, when the grid is removed, the posts will probably fall into the burning lump.
    canuckland
  • Grillmagic
    Grillmagic Posts: 1,600
    Options
    Saweeet! is it sturdy?
    Charlotte, Michigan XL BGE
  • HDumptyEsq
    HDumptyEsq Posts: 1,095
    Options
    Genius.

Tony in Brentwood, TN.

Medium BGE, New Braunfels off-set smoker, 3-burner Charbroiler gasser, mainly used for Eggcessory  storage, old electric upright now used for Amaz-N-Smoker.

"I like cooking with wine - sometimes I put it in the food." - W. C. Fields

• tulocay
    tulocay Posts: 1,737
    Options
    Great idea.
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • jrb06
    jrb06 Posts: 52
    Options
    Don't use galvanized steel. When galvanizing burns off it gives pretty nasty crap.
  • Canugghead
    edited July 2014
    Options
    at what temp does galvanized get nasty, just wondering!
    canuckland
  • minniemoh
    Options
    Thanks for the compliments guys.

@Skiddymarker - The tubing fits somewhat loosely as I didn't want to put any pressure on the ceramics with a friction type of fit. I had to put a small relief cut in one tube as it fit too tight. They simply rest on top of the fire ring and don't put any pressure on the egg itself or pinch the fire ring. 

@Grillmagic - When I put the cast iron grid on, it is a little wiggly but the stainless grate sits in the little notches and remains very sturdy. I can easily and aggressively brush the grill grate for cleaning purposes while it sits on top of the tubes. 

@jrb06 - I used raw steel for that reason. 

@Canugghead - it will take some fiddling around for sure but I'll bet you can make it work without hurting the egg. I like how you found your tubing dumpster diving! HA! That's great.
    eggAddict from MN!
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Ok, guess I won't be doing this after all. My JB Welded plate setter leg broke off. Just ordered a woo and 10" stone last night. Almost tossed in an AR for my XL, but really don't need it...
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Gogogordy
    Gogogordy Posts: 460
    edited July 2014
    Options
    Well done. Making things is very rewarding! And tasty.... Gonna do that for my Visions KUB
    When I'm not Eggin', I'm scootin'   Eggin' and 'cueing from Temecula Ca; an hour from San Diego, an hour and five minutes from Palm Springs, and an hour and a half from Los Angeles (yeah, right. With THAT traffic?)