Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

share the wealth (food)

Options
henapple
henapple Posts: 16,025
A guy I went to high school with has cancer. He's my age. A self employed log cabin builder. He's racked with cancer. Recently he tried an experimental treatment. It didn't work. I was supposed to deliver food today but didn't hear back from him.

It's not enough to be thankful for what we have. Help someone. The cancer patients, the friends I try to help usually can only eat chicken or fish but I believe it helps the other family members. I've been adding chicken with no smoke for them.

I'm not a saint or a nice guy. There's something comforting about good food and them not having to worry about dinner. It's not much but just what I can do.

Share your blessings and your gift.
Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 

Comments

• berndcrisp
    berndcrisp Posts: 1,166
    Options
    So very true Henny. If we all could just contribute, what to us are small things, to anyone in need this orb we live on would be such a better place for all mankind. This is just one example of how we need to treat each other. Good on ya Henny!
    Hood Stars, Wrist Crowns and Obsession Dobs!

• minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Options
    Sorry to hear about your friend. It's great to hear about these kinds of nice gestures and anyone who's been through a tough family situation like that has a deep appreciation for the smallest acts of kindness. 

Pay it forward... it goes a long way. Nice work @henapple.
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    Speaking as someone who has received food from a number of people when my first wife battled and lost her fight with cancer, Tony thank you! You are a nice guy. I don't care what anyone says!
    Flint, Michigan
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,980
    Options
    You're a good egg, Tony. 
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • uheep
    uheep Posts: 64
    Options
    A very good read. The world needs more people like you.
    North Georgia ~ Large BGE~Charbroil Outdoor Fryer~Big Chief Smoker~All Done
    With A Touch Of Classic Rock
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Tony- you're a hell of a man. Friend of mine is battling throat cancer now- it's brutal. Wish your friend the best. When he gets his taste buds back I'm going to take your advice and bring him some good home cooked food
    Greensboro, NC
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Home cooked grub is better than money as a gift. For folks who are ill or in suboptimal circumstances, the logistics of procuring fresh healthy food can be daunting.

I hope your friend is well, or at least as well as he can be.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    Luckily, I have not had to make food for a friend fighting cancer, but I do make butt or brisket for friends after having a baby. My wife and I have 3 children and even just a meal means a lot the first few weeks.
  • stevethegreat
    Options
    I'm sorry to hear about your friend. SWMBO volunteers to bake birthday cakes for people living in homeless shelters. It's a pretty cool program.
    Steve
    Outside of Appleton, WI - MBGE, LBGE
  • mokadir
    mokadir Posts: 115
    Options
    It is a terrible situation and I'm sure they appreciate the effort and your friendship. I had to explain to two patients and their families that I met for the first time today, that they had cancer (liver in a 31 year old and pancreatic in an 83 year old). I try my best to be so thankful for what I have.
    Delaware Valley, PA Large BGE, CGS adjustable rig, iQue110, High-Que grate
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    @henapple‌ Many years ago when I was diagnosed and then went through treatment it was great friends, neighbors and family that made the stress of it all a little less. A good friend of mine mowed my yard etc which is no easy task (1.25-1.5,acre and at that time all I had was a small push mower), same helped us out for Thanksgiving and even decorated the exterior of our home for Christmas. I feel very blessed to be a Cancer Survivor. Blessed to have the family and friends that I have. Equally blessed for my many Drs etc that helped me. I thank God everyday I get to wake up and kiss my wife.

You my friend are a stand-up guy. Period. End of story.

I hope your friend will find comfort and I hope pain free. Many people will say I understand or I've been there. I have and I hope for peace for your friend. Blessings to he & his entire family. O:-)
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Options
    Sorry to hear about your friend...

Despite all of your well documented faults ( ;) )you always managed to teach us something about having heart and thinking past our front doors.

Thank you...
  • warwoman
    warwoman Posts: 279
    Options

One of the tenets of our community garden is that a portion of your harvest be donated to those in need. This can be the local food bank, your church, thrift store, etc. A few years back, we were working our portion of the garden when an old man came wandering in off the street, said good morning, and proceeded to help himself to a couple of tomatoes and peppers from another plot. He said thanks on his way out, and another gardener came up to us and started complaining about his intrusion. I explained to the other gardener that "he's hungry, and that's all that mattered". That's what it's all about, don'cha know1

Our small community garden has donated over two tons of food in the last three years, and people are beginning to get the idea!! You share with whoever needs it....sick friends, the hungry and less fortunate!

Thanks for posting this thread.....it certainly keeps you grounded!

From the NE Georgia Mountains! Me, SWMBO, and two spoiled ass Springers!
  • PNWFoodie
    PNWFoodie Posts: 1,046
    Options
    I am very blessed to exist in a circle of friends and coworkers who all believe it takes a village. Over the years, I have found that soup is a wonderful gift to give and to have on hand. I generally make chicken stock (got to use all those backs and wingtips from spatching for something! :) ) and then add veggies like carrots, celery, and some type of green (usually chard or kale - I think it stands up better than spinach.) Add in some type of white bean or a hearty grain like farro which can stand up to freezing. If tummies are up for it, add in some diced chicken (no smoke) or a light sausage. I put the soup in half-pint, freezer safe canning jars labeled with the type of soup on top. I don't "can" it, as my intent is for the recipient to put it in the freezer and pull out as needed. I bring it to the family in the cardboard case the jars came with, I also include a few of the plastic reusable screw top lids in case the half-pint is too much for one meal. I've been told that it's a comfort to have a ready-made soup on hand in single serving portions. Families know that I do not expect the jars back - they are inexpensive and can be found in most groceries....but I also let them know that returning the empty jars back to me when they are ready will be my cue to make another batch of soup for them. :)

If you do this for yourself, a jar pulled out of the freezer in the morning and left on the counter to thaw will be defrosted enough by lunch to microwave for a couple of minutes for a quick, nutritious lunch. It's saved me many a times on busy mornings.

Food feeds so much more than our bellies...it nurtures our souls.
    XL, JR, and more accessories than anyone would ever need near Olympia, WA
    Sandy
  • henapple
    Options
    Sounds like some awesome neighbors. @warwoman‌ you don't play xbox do you?
  • henapple
    Options
    I wanted to make one thing clear. I wasn't tooting my own horn. (If I could I wouldn't leave the house) Just sharing what was going on. I appreciate the kind words but I'm sure there's folks on here that do much more. Egging and drinking, while doing it for others isn't exactly tough.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    @henapple‌ I don't think your post came across as anything but, a good friend. I didn't think for once you were being conceited or showy. You did a good thing. I for one can appreciate it at face value.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • jllbms
    jllbms Posts: 381
    Options
    A couple of years ago I was smoking a couple of chickens on a Sunday afternoon. During the cook I learned that my friend's mother had died. I delivered one of the birds to his house the next morning. A small gesture, but I was happy I could do something.
    Kemah, TX
  • henapple
    Options
    In the south, food is big at funerals. I like to cook for the deceased.

Lols jk broski. Probably wrong.
  • GeorgeS
    GeorgeS Posts: 955
    Options
    @henapple‌ Thank you for the reminder! We always try to help our friends and neighbors. There is way too much detachment from the people around us every day now. I'm amazed how little people help now days. When a neighbor is in a bad way because of a family issue, a new baby is born, a new neighbor moves in or an existing one is moving out we always try to lend a hand where we can and if all else fails we make sure to cook them a meal! Thanks for reminding us all that we need to take care of the folks around us!!
    Bristow Virginia XL&Mini One of the best feelings in life is watching other people enjoy the food I cooked!
  • HDumptyEsq
    HDumptyEsq Posts: 1,095
    Options
    @henapple. You have many strengths - terse communications being one of them. A large and charitable heart, another.
    I've posted so before. This confirms it wasn't an aberation.
    Well played.

Tony in Brentwood, TN.

Medium BGE, New Braunfels off-set smoker, 3-burner Charbroiler gasser, mainly used for Eggcessory  storage, old electric upright now used for Amaz-N-Smoker.

"I like cooking with wine - sometimes I put it in the food." - W. C. Fields

• flynnbob
    flynnbob Posts: 665
    Options
    @henapple You are a nice guy and have no idea how much you have helped others by cooking for them when they are in need. We have been both on the giving and receiving side.  Egging and drinking may not be tough for us on the forum but it would be very tough for others to duplicate and make sure that everything is hot going out the door. Keep up the good work all.
    Milton, GA.