Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

First Real Chef Knife

I just purchased my first real high quality cheffects knife today. A Victorinox now owned by Swiss Knifes. Now I need to get a brisket to cook.
http://www.swissknifeshop.com/shop/swiss-army/victorinox/victorinox-cutlery?gclid=CjwKEAjwuYOeBRCy3pLljpjDkDcSJAAhA4mtchjptLo5MSeOi1HUXgO0pAIIx_jkL95azFLe-gPr4xoCzyDw_wcB
XL, WSM, Little Kahuna, Coleman RoadTrip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.

Comments

• SkiddymarkerSkiddymarker Posts: 7,622
    Enjoy the knife and remember only trim the raw and or cooked stuff, keep the live, blood is still flowing parts out of the way. Have a couple of Victorinox knives, work just fine. 
    Delta B.C. - Vee-Gan: old Indian word for poor hunter. 
  • Ladeback69Ladeback69 Posts: 3,835
    I almost bought the cut resistant gloves, but thought I don't need those.

Kansas City, Mo.
  • travisstricktravisstrick Posts: 4,895
    That's a good knife. I have the same one along with many that cost much more. I reach for that one more times than not.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • ThecoimanThecoiman Posts: 123
    I have this knife and a couple others. I really like them.
    Garland, TX

2 Large, 1 Mini Max, 1 Mini
  • henapplehenapple Posts: 15,575
    My chef's knife cost $35,900. It's from the Ming Dynasty.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • cajuncookcajuncook Posts: 99
    Great choice. Keep it sharp and you'll have it for years. I use that $25 knife more than my Shuns that cost much more.
    Live on beautiful Lake Hartwell GA
    cajuncook said:
    Great choice. Keep it sharp and you'll have it for years. I use that $25 knife more than my Shuns that cost much more.

Where did you buy it for $25? I paid $50. I guess should have looked around more.

Kansas City, Mo.
    I just seen I could have saved money buy buying it on Amazon, but I bought it at my Egg Dealer, so feel like I am keeping them in business and if issues I can go back to them. I may buy sharpener on Amazon to save money, any thoughts on what I can get?

Kansas City, Mo.
  • RRPRRP Posts: 19,199
    I just seen I could have saved money buy buying it on Amazon, but I bought it at my Egg Dealer, so feel like I am keeping them in business and if issues I can go back to them. I may buy sharpener on Amazon to save money, any thoughts on what I can get?
    I have 3 of those, but with the Asian angle meaning they are sharper since the degree angle is smaller. BTW it was Cook's Illustrated recommendation. Furthermore I keep them honestly razor sharp using this sharpener I got from Amazon. I'm pretty sure that this mfg makes the same type for your new knife!
    L, M, S, Mini
    Ron
    Dunlap, IL
  • gdenbygdenby Posts: 5,238
    henapple said:
    My chef's knife cost $35,900. It's from the Ming Dynasty.
    Oh yeah? I've got one from Luristan, c. 1000 BC, and I got it as a token of respect from an ancient pit master.
    :P
  • henapplehenapple Posts: 15,575
    Oh yeah? I mortgaged my house and sold my soul for a pre-universe Japanese sword.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • DMWDMW Posts: 9,359

Work Sharp Ken Onion Edition. Search on Amazon, you will find it. Just order it, don't think about it. You will be sharpening everything that has an edge once you get it. Your crappy dull knives work great after a minute or so.
    My Facebook Page where I document my cooking
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - 18.5" WSM - Gasser
  • cajuncookcajuncook Posts: 99
    Ladebavk, I got it from a restaurant supply house in Atlanta. Atlanta Fixtures. They may a little higher now, this was several years ago.
    Live on beautiful Lake Hartwell GA
  • henapple said:
    Oh yeah? I mortgaged my house and sold my soul for a pre-universe Japanese sword.

That cheap, eh?

........................................................................................

Flint, Michigan.  If the lead bullets don't kill you, the leaded water will.

• Austin  EggheadAustin Egghead Posts: 3,555
    Good purchase.  That is my everyday-go-to knife and I have many knifes that cost much more.  
    Large, small and mini SW Austin
    DMW said:
    Work Sharp Ken Onion Edition. Search on Amazon, you will find it. Just order it, don't think about it. You will be sharpening everything that has an edge once you get it. Your crappy dull knives work great after a minute or so.

The wife would kill me with my new knife if i spent that much on a sharpener. I think I will wait tell I use it a little and see what i can sell her on. Right now I am more interested in the food saver sealer. I like the V4800, because i want to be able to marinade with it to. An my Sam's Club has it in stock. Thanks for the advice though. Boy the toy list just keeps growing with the BGE, doesn't it?

Kansas City, Mo.
  • DMWDMW Posts: 9,359

The wife would kill me with my new knife if i spent that much on a sharpener.

=))

Tell her you need it to sharpen your lawnmower blades.
    My Facebook Page where I document my cooking
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - 18.5" WSM - Gasser
  • gdenbygdenby Posts: 5,238

The wife would kill me with my new knife if i spent that much on a sharpener.
    At least the cut would be clean and quick!