Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Real Chef Knife

Options
I just purchased my first real high quality cheffects knife today. A Victorinox now owned by Swiss Knifes. Now I need to get a brisket to cook.
http://www.swissknifeshop.com/shop/swiss-army/victorinox/victorinox-cutlery?gclid=CjwKEAjwuYOeBRCy3pLljpjDkDcSJAAhA4mtchjptLo5MSeOi1HUXgO0pAIIx_jkL95azFLe-gPr4xoCzyDw_wcB
XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.

Comments

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Enjoy the knife and remember only trim the raw and or cooked stuff, keep the live, blood is still flowing parts out of the way. Have a couple of Victorinox knives, work just fine. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    I almost bought the cut resistant gloves, but thought I don't need those.

Kansas City, Mo.
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Options
    That's a good knife. I have the same one along with many that cost much more. I reach for that one more times than not.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Thecoiman
    Thecoiman Posts: 134
    Options
    I have this knife and a couple others. I really like them.
    Garland, TX

2 Large, 1 Mini Max, 1 Mini
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    My chef's knife cost $35,900. It's from the Ming Dynasty.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • cajuncook
    cajuncook Posts: 99
    Options
    Great choice. Keep it sharp and you'll have it for years. I use that $25 knife more than my Shuns that cost much more.
    Live on beautiful Lake Hartwell GA
  • Ladeback69
    Options
    cajuncook said:
    Great choice. Keep it sharp and you'll have it for years. I use that $25 knife more than my Shuns that cost much more.

Where did you buy it for $25? I paid $50. I guess should have looked around more.

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Ladeback69
    Options
    I just seen I could have saved money buy buying it on Amazon, but I bought it at my Egg Dealer, so feel like I am keeping them in business and if issues I can go back to them. I may buy sharpener on Amazon to save money, any thoughts on what I can get?

Kansas City, Mo.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,889
    Options
    I just seen I could have saved money buy buying it on Amazon, but I bought it at my Egg Dealer, so feel like I am keeping them in business and if issues I can go back to them. I may buy sharpener on Amazon to save money, any thoughts on what I can get?
    I have 3 of those, but with the Asian angle meaning they are sharper since the degree angle is smaller. BTW it was Cook's Illustrated recommendation. Furthermore I keep them honestly razor sharp using this sharpener I got from Amazon. I'm pretty sure that this mfg makes the same type for your new knife!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    henapple said:
    My chef's knife cost $35,900. It's from the Ming Dynasty.
    Oh yeah? I've got one from Luristan, c. 1000 BC, and I got it as a token of respect from an ancient pit master.
    :P
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Oh yeah? I mortgaged my house and sold my soul for a pre-universe Japanese sword.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options

Work Sharp Ken Onion Edition. Search on Amazon, you will find it. Just order it, don't think about it. You will be sharpening everything that has an edge once you get it. Your crappy dull knives work great after a minute or so.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • cajuncook
    cajuncook Posts: 99
    Options
    Ladebavk, I got it from a restaurant supply house in Atlanta. Atlanta Fixtures. They may a little higher now, this was several years ago.
    Live on beautiful Lake Hartwell GA
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    henapple said:
    Oh yeah? I mortgaged my house and sold my soul for a pre-universe Japanese sword.

That cheap, eh?

Flint, Michigan
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    Options
    Good purchase.  That is my everyday-go-to knife and I have many knifes that cost much more.  
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Ladeback69
    Options
    DMW said:
    Work Sharp Ken Onion Edition. Search on Amazon, you will find it. Just order it, don't think about it. You will be sharpening everything that has an edge once you get it. Your crappy dull knives work great after a minute or so.

The wife would kill me with my new knife if i spent that much on a sharpener. I think I will wait tell I use it a little and see what i can sell her on. Right now I am more interested in the food saver sealer. I like the V4800, because i want to be able to marinade with it to. An my Sam's Club has it in stock. Thanks for the advice though. Boy the toy list just keeps growing with the BGE, doesn't it?

Kansas City, Mo.
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options

The wife would kill me with my new knife if i spent that much on a sharpener.

=))

Tell her you need it to sharpen your lawnmower blades.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options

The wife would kill me with my new knife if i spent that much on a sharpener.
    At least the cut would be clean and quick!