Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New to BGE

Options
Hello. I am getting my first ever XL BGE and custom table Monday. I know there will be a learning curve for using it so my question is what would everyone recommended cooking the very first time on it? Any other tips and advice would be appreciated!! Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    First cook = Spatchcock chicken. This forum will provide plenty of advice and recipes for you to try.
    llrickman Posts: 654
    edited July 2014
    Options
    I would go Spatchcock chicken. Cut the backbone out splay it open season it and put in on @400 direct raised above the gasket line if you can

about an hour later you'll have some good eats

and heres a page i always keep handy there is some very useful information on it

If you don't have one a Thermapen instant read thermometer its more than worth the investment

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/696661/x/p1
    2 LBGE
    Digi Q
    green Thermapen
    AR

Albuquerque, NM
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @Kmooose‌
    Welcome aboard my friend and congratulations on the egg. I say cook a butt. It's simple, foolproof and outstanding to boot. Again welcome.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,367
    Options
    Do a simple short cook like a spatchcock bird or something on lower heat and get used to the vent and heat controls first. Welcome I'm a newb also.
    Jacksonville FL
  • Canardflambe
    Options
    Mmm, I like grilling corn - fairly bombproof. Wrap it in foil after rubbing it in lime, butter, salt and a bit of cayenne and cilantro. We usually give it about six minutes on medium heat (adjust depending on your temperature) per side.
  • cook861
    cook861 Posts: 872
    Options
    Welcome like Dobie said small steps and get  use of the heat controls
    Trenton ON 1 mbge for now
  • hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Options
    Welcome!!! Have fun and make sure and take plenty of pics!
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Welcome! Spatchcock chicken is a good first cook. Quick and easy, rig something up to get your grid to felt line. Empty beer cans work.

For your second, pork butt, very forgiving and you can vary temps between 215*-350* during the cook without hurting anything, just alter cook time.

Here's another site to bookmark I wish I had known about when I started out.
    http://www.nakedwhiz.com/nwindex.htm
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • radamo
    radamo Posts: 373
    Options
    Welcome to the obsession.  When I got mine it was recommended to use lower temps for the first few cooks.  That being said I would go with some nice ribs as a first cook.  They are a great way to learn how to control the vents and are easy to make a great batch.  

Get your egg to about 235 to 250 dome and a batch of St. Louis should be awesome in about 6 hours. 

Enjoy....
    Long Island, NY
  • Kmooose
    Kmooose Posts: 35
    Options
    @DMW‌ probably a dumb question but what do you stack the beer cans on top of?
  • Kmooose
    Options
    @Canardflambe‌ My wife and I love corn from the grill, good suggestion. I'll toss it on with the chicken
  • DMW
    Options
    Set each empty can in the 3 notches of the fire ring, then set the grid on top of the cans.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Kmooose
    Options
    @DMW‌ got ya! Thank you.
  • DMW
    Options
    Don't smash them. ;)
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    I would start the fire a few hrs before you want to cook and play with temps. Start at 250 run for a while then lock in at 300. Do this till you hit 400 then cook your bird. Learning and eating all in one.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • HDumptyEsq
    HDumptyEsq Posts: 1,095
    Options
    There's no cure for this disease. just give up to it.

Tony in Brentwood, TN.

Medium BGE, New Braunfels off-set smoker, 3-burner Charbroiler gasser, mainly used for Eggcessory  storage, old electric upright now used for Amaz-N-Smoker.

"I like cooking with wine - sometimes I put it in the food." - W. C. Fields

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,485
    Options
    Welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  Degree of Kool-Aid consumption a matter of personal choice.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • RAC
    RAC Posts: 1,688
    Options
    Welcome aboard and enjoy!

Ricky

Boerne, TX

• TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Options
    Welcome to the lifestyle!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.