Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoke Ring

Options
What is the secret to getting a good smoke ring?  Cooked a butt and ribs separately for the 4th and the smoke ring was non-existent.
St. Mary's, GA

Comments

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Here's another thread that you may also find to be helpful. Although a smoke ring does nothing to add to flavor. We all tend to eat with our eyes. Why else would we take the time in plating it like Michelangelo?
    http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1163532/quest-for-smoke-penetration/p1
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    It's all about moisture. If you live in a high humidity area like the bay or the beach, you will get them. If not, you won't. You get them when cooking with wood because there is a lot of moisture in the fuel. Lump has none.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I get them when I cook on the rain but never when it's dry outside (unless I manipulate it which I never really do).
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited July 2014
    Options

It's all about moisture. If you live in a high humidity area like the bay or the beach, you will get them. If not, you won't. You get them when cooking with wood because there is a lot of moisture in the fuel. Lump has none.

+1!
    FL=high humidity
    + it seems like every L&S I have done lately (the last 8-10 at least) have been accompanied by some or a lot of rain. For sure have seen deeper and more pronounced ring in these conditions.

LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • SouthGaSmoker
    Options
    I live in extreme southeast Ga less than a mile from the coast.  Humidity has been kicking here lately.  I use lump and supplement with wood chunks.  Maybe I need to add more wood?
    St. Mary's, GA
  • unoriginalusername
    unoriginalusername Posts: 1,065
    edited July 2014
    Options
    For a shoulder I normally add 2-3 fistfuls of Hickory + 2-3 chunks of cherry wood that I've soaked for at least an hour beforehand.  How much wood are you using?

I start my fire in the centre using a looflighter and I over ignite it for the temp I want to help control the burn spread direction throughout the cook. (also build the fire for airflow)

Add chips, plate setter etc. and after its burned a little bit to clear off I add the meat while the grill is still coming up to temp (i.e. 175) and let it enjoy the smoke ride up to about 210 where I do most of my cooks (usually 24hours at this temp for 12-13 pound butt).

Always get good smoke ring results with this method, along with fall off the bone pork.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    never really thought about humidity but maybe. i get a really nice smoke ring cooking brisket direct at 350/375 and its only in the smoke for 2 to 3 hours max. its always wet near the lake here
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Cold meat also helps build a smoke ring. It is my understanding that unless you add a chemical, like a curing salt to aid in smoke ring creation, the formation actually stops at food temps above 140-150º. The ring has nothing to do with smoke, more to do with a chemical reaction involving nitrogen. 

Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!