Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

This won't fit on an egg

Options

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,794
    Options
    @‌DMW
    Question. Is that you in the pic holding the peel?

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    @SGH Yes, that's me.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • SGH
    Options
    @‌DMW
    Now I know what a real Pitmaster looks like! :D

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,511
    Options
    @DMW-Dang-that is gonna be some great eats.  Been so many years since I did a whole pig (well before the BGE and SWMBO rules) but I still remember the remarkable taste and flavor-when not too deep into adult supervisory beverages.  What a cook!!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • DMW
    Options
    @SGH I am still very much an amateur, but thank you.

Also, I don't think I answered your question about the Emile Henry stone. Yes, it is ceramic, but has a coating of some sort. It works very well.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    edited July 2014
    Options
    SGH said:
    @‌DMW Now I know what a real Pitmaster looks like! :D
    I'd like to see a pic of what an 89 year old egghead looks like.   :P
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • SGH
    Options
    @‌cazzy
    It ain't pretty I assure you!

Status- Standing by.

• DMW
    Options
    In sticking with today's pig theme.

Breakfast of sausage links and bacon.

Baby Back Ribs with Memphis Dust have been on since this morning, should be ready for lunch.
    imageimage
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• SGH
    Options
    @‌DMW
    Brother you are on a roll! It all looks outstanding.

Status- Standing by.

• johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,593
    Options
    My Saturday cook of ribs, kielbasa, grilled pineapple and grilled peaches and a few sides seems so mundane compared to all that you have got going on... Fantastic looking cook..
    ^:)^
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • GeorgeS
    GeorgeS Posts: 955
    Options
    Holy crap those are some thick and awesome looking ribs! I agree that DMW is the man this weekend!
    Bristow Virginia XL&Mini One of the best feelings in life is watching other people enjoy the food I cooked!
  • mcmac
    mcmac Posts: 496
    Options
    Hey, this is what I call a party!! Beer and homemade pizza on the 4th, only to be outdone by an allnighter and whole hog the next day =D>
    Gonna make my day of golf followed by steaks on my son-in-laws ceramic cooker seem like childs play. Have fun my friend... tomorrow you "may" get some rest!
    XL BGE -  Med BGE - Mini BGE - Traeger Pellet Grills

Hillsboro OR
  • EggHead_Bubba
    Options
    Just curious, I've always seen whole hogs cooked on their back. Is cooking on their belly common?

Rocky Top, TN — Large BGE • Cast Iron Grate & Platesetter • Rockwood Lump

• DMW
    Options
    IT is 194* I just dropped the temp to 220* and will back it down as it progresses to draw the cook out til eat time. Not really a good way to FTC this. ;)

And the ribs, if you haven't made up a batch of Memphis Dust from Amazingribs.com its really good on ribs.
    imageimage
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• DMW
    Options

Just curious, I've always seen whole hogs cooked on their back. Is cooking on their belly common?

Depends on the cooker, but yes belly down is common and allows the grease to drip out.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• EggHead_Bubba
    Options
    Good to know, it seems most of the times I've seen whole hog cooked it was splayed out on it's back. Heard it mentioned that it allowed the grease to baste the meet while cooking. I can't wait to see pics of that pig once you start pulling it! Yum!

Rocky Top, TN — Large BGE • Cast Iron Grate & Platesetter • Rockwood Lump

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    @DMW‌ loss for words =D> enjoy!
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • SmokeytheEGG
    SmokeytheEGG Posts: 149
    Options
    Man you made my 4th picnic look like an appetizer round. Looks mighty fine. :D my grandma would fight you for that pig tail back in the day!
    Blue Ridge, GA
  • boochsr71
    boochsr71 Posts: 267
    Options
    looks like a good time!! enjoy!

Booch- from Medina, Ohio

• Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Good to know, it seems most of the times I've seen whole hog cooked it was splayed out on it's back. Heard it mentioned that it allowed the grease to baste the meet while cooking. I can't wait to see pics of that pig once you start pulling it! Yum!

You may be seeing them flipped to eat?
    Greensboro, NC
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,511
    Options
    That is one sweet cook-again, I am envious that you have the green-light to partake in such cooks.  Geez- what a banquet awaits!  Most accomplished and thanks for sharing. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • StillSmoken
    StillSmoken Posts: 327
    Options
    You guys know how to throw a party!! Any beer left in the keg?? I've got a good friend that lives in Hummelstown.
    Kennesaw Ga. XL Egg. Cheers, Kevin
  • DMW
    Options
    @StillSmoken Yes, plenty of beer left. Only 6 of us drinking last night. Party is tonight, expecting about 110, including kids. In Leola.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• DMW
    Options
    ABTs are served. Ran out of filling with 3 left. So I found dark chocolate and cherries. @henapple is brilliant.
    imageimage
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• SGH
    Options
    @‌DMW
    Looks like a winner to me. I sure wish I was there to eat some of that hog with y'all my friend. Looks like a heck of a good time. Enjoy!

Status- Standing by.

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Nom nom nom =P~
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • jls9595
    jls9595 Posts: 1,533
    Options
    this is awesome
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    Impressive weekend, glad I stopped by the thread. \:D/
    Seattle, WA
  • Nanook
    Nanook Posts: 846
    Options
    ^:)^ ^:)^ ^:)^ ^:)^ ^:)^
    GWN
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    I cooked panty droppers last night for my neighbor's. Huge hit. Try cutting lengthwise and wrapping. Pita but less jalapeño and less heat. Either way, hope they were good. Weird combo. Everyone turns their nose up...till they drop. >:)
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN