Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smashed Burgers & grilled pineapple!

Options
Double 2oz smashed burgers cooked on a cast iron griddle I use on my Big Green Egg. Surface temp was on the griddle stayed just over 500 degrees. I never thought I would like smashed burgers until I started making them a few weeks back and now doing it that way is my favorite. Season both sides of it Cow Lick and Sea Salt and then put them on the griddle and smash the 2, 2oz patties as flat as you can get them. I bought a new grout trowel just for this an it works really well. Wait about 30 seconds, flip, put a slice of cheese on one, wait another 30 seconds, put other patty on top of cheese and it's done! I also made my first grilled fresh pineapple and man was it good. I just sprinkled Dizzy Pig Pineapple Head on it and it reminded me of hot apple pie.

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    yum!  Interesting meat buns.  Definitely paleo. 
    Options
    @jshillin‌
    Brother that looks outstanding to say the least ! I will take 3 myself if you deliver! Excellent job !! =D>

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Looks like something I may want to try.
    jshillin Posts: 42
    Options
    yum!  Interesting meat buns.  Definitely paleo. 
    Yep...  Doc told me to cut back on carbs.   Haven't had bread for 2 months.  The pineapple was a bit higher in carbs than I like to eat now, but it was so good that it was worth it.  
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @jshillin‌
    Did you cook the pineapple on the grid? I love grilled pineapple to say the least. Again that looks excellent my friend!

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,581
    Options
    Looks Fantastic..Def.something I will try..Thanks for sharing.
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • tulocay
    tulocay Posts: 1,737
    Options
    Looks good. On the list.
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options

Just had burgers earlier this week and your pic makes me want another.

Hard cutting out the carbs, esp w/burgers, but congrats on it. Keep it up and your health will get better sooner than you can believe.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    Options
    Nice cook.  My wife will love the idea of a double-patty-carb-free-cheese-burger . . . brilliant!   I was hesitant to SMASH a burger on a griddle, but I have tried it recently and enjoyed it as well.  Changing up toppings only does so much (micro), so to SMASH (macro) is a great change of pace when your stuck in a burger rut.    

I curious . . . do you hold this creation in your hand and eat like a normal burger - or do you use a fork & knife? 
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    Options
    kinda like this KFC chicken bun crapwich  . . 
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • Hibby
    Hibby Posts: 606
    Options
    Maximum Maillard reaction! Looks great.
    I cook. I eat. I repeat. Thornville, Ohio
  • jshillin
    Options
    SGH said:
    @jshillin‌ Did you cook the pineapple on the grid? I love grilled pineapple to say the least. Again that looks excellent my friend!
    I cooked a couple slices on the grill grates and a couple on the cast iron griddle.  Both worked equally well.  If you put Pineapple head on it, it really does remind you of apple pie.
  • jshillin
    Options
    NDG said:
    Nice cook.  My wife will love the idea of a double-patty-carb-free-cheese-burger . . . brilliant!   I was hesitant to SMASH a burger on a griddle, but I have tried it recently and enjoyed it as well.  Changing up toppings only does so much (micro), so to SMASH (macro) is a great change of pace when your stuck in a burger rut.    

I curious . . . do you hold this creation in your hand and eat like a normal burger - or do you use a fork & knife? 
    I ate it with a fork...  I'd say I could pick it up & eat it, but haven't tried.  
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    They look great!  I made the Amazing Ribs diner burgers once with Huey's burger seasoning and they were really good. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• DTEgg
    DTEgg Posts: 93
    Options
    Yummy!  I gotta try that, brother!  Grilled pineapple does taste great, hard to tell if fresh summer peaches or pineapple is better, so why choose, do both!
    LBGE