Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Playing Master Chef

Options
Howdy everybody!

Just wanted to let everyone in on whats happening Wednesday at my house in Austin.

The gf and I looooooooove Hell's Kitchen and Master Chef.  Its just fun to watch people panic.  I work in healthcare but my hobby is cooking.  The gf told me that this Wed we are having our own master chef night. We are going to the grocery store and she is picking out any 4 items. She is only going to let me know what the protein is......

When we get home I have 60 minutes to make a dish....and she'll critique me like Gordon Ramsey.....should be fun!  I'll post what happened after Wednesday.

Anyone done anything similar to this? How'd it go?
Louisianian by birth, Louisianian by death. Austinite for now...

Comments

• grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    Sounds fun. Be sure to have her post pics as you will have no time
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    Options
    What happens if she sends you home?
    Dunedin, FL
  • apinion
    apinion Posts: 470
    Options
    We haven't discussed win vs losing yet.  Maybe this could play into my advantage. :-)
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @apinion‌
    Sounds interesting my friend. I would be afraid that my wife would stack the odds in her favor if we wagered on it. Just some food for thought my friend.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• keepervodeflame
    Options
    60 minutes. Let's hope she doesn't bring home a Brisket or a Rack of Ribs. Better hope for steak, chops, fish,  or chicken parts.  
  • apinion
    Options
    She seems really into it too, which is the best part. Its wonderful finding someone to share things with.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @apinion‌ ^^^^^^^^^^
    You got that right my friend.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    Options
    i don't know master chef but i'm a chopped addict and we will do it occasionally here but with freezer diving etc.  i'm not too into time limits because i like to imbibe too much.  here is one I did a post on. http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1148439/chopped-bge-edition-pics-included
  • apinion
    Options
    That's awesome! Nice bacon weave!
  • apinion
    edited July 2014
    Options
    So, Wednesday was the day when it happened....

The surprise ingredients:
    Scallops
    Kale
    Quinoa
    Feta Cheese

I had 60 minutes.....

I decided to make 2 dishes.  Why? Who the hell knows....I thought I had all the time in the world, but it went fast!

The first dish was a zucchini and yellow squash pasta that I cooked in butter.  I pan seared some scallops, shrimp, and tossed them in a basil marinara sauce.  Topped it with feta cheese.

The second dish was a stirred egg.  Basically, bring a pot to a rolling boil, scramble an egg in a bowl.  Stir the water in the put to make a whirlpool and pour in the egg.  Count to 15, drain, pour in colander, wait 30 seconds and then plate.  Olive oil over top.  I gave it a hit of the same marina sauce I used for the seafood and topped it with a crisp I made.  The crisp was quinoa cooked in chicken stock, then once cooked pulsed in food processor with feta to make a paste.  I then baked that until firm.  Topped with rendered bacon that I then used the bacon fat to cook the seafood with.

I'll do this again! It was stressful, but fun!

*Not pictured is the kale chip I also topped the egg with.  Got ate too quickly. :-)