Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Small vs. Mini - Startup time, Lump Consumption, Temp, Smokiness

Options
2»

Comments

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    All of the new models of BGE have the mesh screen spark shield. Your Mini could have one added. That is an easy fix. I use my Smalls way more than my Mini. Yes, the Small heats up a little slower. Yes, the Small is larger than the Mini and uses a little more lump. No one is going to be able to give you an exact percent of lump use per Egg size. If the Mini is to small...the Small is your best bet. I only need high temps on my small to sear. I do this by starting with a full load of lump so the lump/fire is close to the cooking grate. This does not take a 700 degree Egg. Then I toss in my Woo and cooked raised direct most of the time. Yes, I also think I get more smoke from my Mini. I think it's because the fire box has little taper and all the drippings fall into hot coals and there is very little "free" space. Cooking on the Mini with a full load of lump is almost like tossing the food onto the lump.
    As others have said, the Mini Max, with the same cooking grid size as the Small, would be outstanding if you are looking for fast start up grilling machine. Just because it has "Mini" in the name does not mean it's closer to a current Mini than a Small BGE. It's just a little shorter than the current Small but has all the great features you claim to like in your Mini. Sounds like it was made for you. 
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • SmokyBear
    SmokyBear Posts: 389
    Options
    Thx..my Mini BGE does have the spark shield..it's the KJ Jr that doesn't.

I just keep the spark shield open when starting the Mini.  Maybe I'm just doing it wrong and can close the draft door spark screen while starting up?
    Mini BGE, KJ Classic - Black, Cookshack SM025, Weber Gasser (mostly for Kamado storage!)
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,794
    Options
    I can't speak for the mini nor the small egg as I have neither. But I do have the large egg for home use and the Kamado Joe Jr that we use at the fish camp. As far as the amount of smoke that can be imparted to the meat I don't think that size plays as much of a factor as other variables. Examples-
    Type of wood used.
    Amount of wood used.
    Type and brand of lump.
    Wood loading and layering.
    Type and temp of fire that is established.
    How well the fire is maintained.
    Green wood.
    Seasoned wood.
    Dwell time with internal temp below 170.
    Proper draft. Yes even on the ceramics a good draft is important unless cooking direct hot and fast.
    This is just a very short list of some of the more often encountered problems when trying to dial in a particular smoke profile.
    When properly loaded and maintained I can achieve the same "smokiness" on my small Joe as I can on my large egg. Hope this helps my friend.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Photo Egg
    Options
    SGH 

If you have the time. I can't find a KJ jr local but would like a couple measurements on the fire box. Please email through forum if you have time.

The width across.
    The height
    The rough dimensions of the air intake notch on the bottom of the fire box
    The size of the lump grate

Thank you very much

Darian
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Cowdogs
    Cowdogs Posts: 491
    Options
    Since you seem to like everything about the mini but the 10" grate I say wait for the minimax.  

I got the small, and I think it is the perfect cooker for dinner for 2.  It cooks more like the larger eggs than the mini.  When I cook chicken on my SBGE with the woo ring my food is about 10-12 inches from the coals, which I like as it is this distance that evens out the heat.   For parties, I like to be to cook the low and slow pork butt on the small, and leave my XL free for apps and sides. 
  • SGH
    Options
    @Photo Egg
    I will be glad to. It will be Friday afternoon before we are back at the camp if that's not to late. I will even send you pics if you would like.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    Options
    @Photo Egg
    Do you want me to PM them to you?

Status- Standing by.

• Photo Egg
    Options
    SGH said:
    @Photo Egg‌ I will be glad to. It will be Friday afternoon before we are back at the camp if that's not to late. I will even send you pics if you would like.
    Thank you very much...No rush at all.
    Thanks for your time. Have a great weekend.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas