Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bacon on the Egg

Options
kthacher
kthacher Posts: 155
edited June 2014 in EggHead Forum
So, I tried the Charcuterie recipe which includes brown sugar and maple syrup in the cure.  The cure stage is 7 days, followed by a day of drying, and then the smoke.  The only issue I had was that the recipe said to hot smoke (200 degrees) for three hours.  In fact, it took me 7 hours to get to target temperature of 150.  BUT, the end result was truly outstanding.  Bacon from scratch is so much better than store bought, that you can hardly call them the same product.  The Egg is the perfect product for this, as all of you know.  I had it rock solid at temperature for all those hours after the initial firing up period.  Smoke was sugar maple. 

First photo is after the cure and drying in the fridge.
Second is part way through the smoke.
Third is end product before while cooling down.
Fourth shows the end result. 
Winnipeg, Canada

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @kthacher‌
    Awesome!! You are correct store bought bacon does not even come close. That bacon is absolutely beautiful. Well done my friend. =D> =D> =D>

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    Options
    Excellant, a job well done.
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Nice, time for me to make another batch.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    Looks great! If I remember correctly, I usually takes me about 2 hours @ 225F to reach an IT of 150F.