Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Turbo brisket...without a foiled stage?

Options
Turbo Pork Butt I am now comfortable with. I have still not attempted a brisket (of any kind). I'm getting bolder and I want to give a brisket a try.  I would really like to do the brisket turbo-style. My question: Is it possible to do turbo brisket without a foiled cooking stage?
Large (sometimes wish it were an XL) in KS

Comments

• badinfluence
    badinfluence Posts: 1,774
    Options
    Order a snake river farms brisket for your first attempt at this and let us know how it turns out for you
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    I cooked my last brisket at 300 degrees.  I don't necessarily know if you would consider that "turbo" but certainly wasn't the normal low and slow.  I didn't foil anything until I pulled it for the rest.  It turned out fantastic. 

Little Rock, AR

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Order a snake river farms brisket for your first attempt at this and let us know how it turns out for you
    I would not do this with a SRF unless I had the method down pat. 
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    IMO...turbo and brisket isn't a great combination. Bark means a lot more to a brisket than it does to a butt since you're slicing and not pulling.

There are many a folk doing briskets hot & fast. I've done one by accident when my fire got away from me and the result wasn't acceptable.

Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    +1 on what @cazzy said, also for pulled beef. L&S for beef for me.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • KenfromMI
    KenfromMI Posts: 742
    Options
    High heat is ok but I wouldn't do it without foil. I use the method for high heat brisket from virtualweberbullet.com and so do many people on that site.
    Dearborn MI
  • badinfluence
    badinfluence Posts: 1,774
    Options

I would not do this with a SRF unless I had the method down pat. 

I was being sarcastic. If you don't have the time to do a brisket low and slow don't do it. Imo you will get a good chat but don't think the fat will render out but IDK as I would not go above 250.
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • Miked125
    Miked125 Posts: 481
    Options
    I have down a turbo with foil was alirght but never not foiled.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    edited June 2014
    Options
    @itsmce‌
    Everyone has different opinions on what is good and what is not. Here are my thoughts and what works best for me and me only. Brisket is best cooked between 200-275 degrees in my opinion. To truly duplicate the hot and fast brisket cooked between 350-400 degrees in needs to be cooked over a massive water pan then boated once the internal is between 150-160 degrees depending on the color set. Short of this method I prefer low and slow by a wide margin. Please remember this is just my opinion and what works well for me. If you cook upwards of 350 for the duration of the cook without wrapping or boating you will end up with shoe leather if you have not perfected your technique. Just my thoughts my friend. Proceed at your own peril.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    Options
    @itsmce‌
    Don't misunderstand my friend. It can be done but it takes considerable practice and understanding of what you are doing. Again at these high temps the massive water pan makes things much easier than attempting it dry. Let me know how it goes my friend.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    300 degrees. No foil. My best brisket to date.

Little Rock, AR

• xiphoid007
    xiphoid007 Posts: 536
    Options
    Holy smoke ring!?!
    Pittsburgh, PA - 1 LBGE
  • SGH
    Options
    @Biggreenpharmacist‌
    That looks mighty fine my friend. Excellent job!! =D>

Status- Standing by.

• Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    That was the one from last week. But it was a higher heat cook. I dont know that I'll be able to duplicate it but thats how I'll do them til it fails me. Cut a good bit of time off the cook time too and results were wonderful. Like I said, I dont know that its necessarly "turbo" but its a little higher heat than normal.

Little Rock, AR

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    @biggreenpharmacist - what grade was that brisket?

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    Choice. I let it age in bottom of fridge in the cryovac for over a month. My briskets always suck. That one was great. It was probably a fluke, but it was the best one I've ever cooked.

Little Rock, AR

• minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Options
    @Biggreenpharmacist - I let my last brisket sit in the fridge for about a  month in the cryovac too. It was my best yet. I did mine at 225 until tender. IIRC, it took about 18 hrs to get there. I didn't have a 1/2" smoke ring though. Great looking brisket.

I was at the BGE dealer the other day and he does a lot of comp cooks. He wet ages his for 4-6 weeks in the fridge too. He says that is the key to his good ones. 
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    I honestly don't have a clue why I got that smoke ring. Even my other briskets (that sucked) had great smoke rings. I only use ozark oak lump, but don't know that it makes a difference. All my pork buts get a good smoke ring, too. Just luck, I guess.

Little Rock, AR

• nick_banich
    nick_banich Posts: 110
    Options
    Do most of you not use a drip pan with water for your butts and brisket? I have on all of mine...
    -Large BGE since 6-13
    -Indianapolis, IN

• KenfromMI
    Options
    I'm new to the egg and originally thought a big plus of it over my WSM would be no drip pan. I've since found that the dripping fat smells coming from the vent as I do my cooks. I took a disposable aluminum pan and foiled it for re use. I placed 3 small About 4in clay pot bases upside down on the plat setter and the pan on top of that. With three bricks on the fire ring it fits perfect under my grate at gasket level.  
    Dearborn MI
  • KenfromMI
    Options
    Dry pan, its fat enough away from the heat that it doesn't seem to burn at least on L&S's
    Dearborn MI
  • itsmce
    itsmce Posts: 410
    Options
    Thanks, all, for all the comments. I am terrified of doing an overnight low and slow and was hoping that some manner of turbo might be what I need to tackle a brisket. Maybe not. I have not been successful at keeping the temp as low as 225-250. Guess I just need to keep practicing. Maybe someday I will be bold enough to try a brisket.
    Large (sometimes wish it were an XL) in KS
  • jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    Options
    +1 on 300 and no foil. Always turn out great and no overnights.
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia