Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: Late Night Butts

Options
DMW
DMW Posts: 13,832
Off topic because its not on an egg. Two butts just went on. Installed Rutland gasket around the door today and installed 2 thermometers, one on top, other lower down on the side. Also have my Maverick monitoring grid level temps. Been running for a few hours curing the gasket adhesive and temps have held pretty solid.

Did talapia for fish tacos tonight for supper with an old kettle grill that had a K-Mart brand on the handle. Turned out pretty good. Looking forward to waking in the morning to the sweet smell of pork smoking.

Vacation is awesome when you are spending time with family you only see once a year and cooking over fire. Though having an egg would be better.

Also had the opportunity for a science lesson to my kids on water filled paper and plastic cups over a fire. They were rather intrigued about how the cups didn't burn or melt with water in them.

imageimageimageimageimageimageimage
They/Them
Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Everyone likes late night butts.  ;)  Kids love science experiments....they should see our lunchroom refrigerator at work. 

Seriously, looks like good times.  Wish I was on vacation.  I'm not offended it wasn't an egg, hell, I'd put it on the egghead forum just to stir up the eggcists.
    Options
    @DMW‌
    Looks like y'all are having a heck of a good time. Enjoy your vacation and family time my friend. The food looks amazing as always. That shoulder laying on the top rack really caught my attention! Excellent job brother.
    =D>

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,795
    Options
    @DMW‌
    I agree with brother Nola. I would have absolutely put it on the egghead forum. Fine food is fine food no matter what it's cooked on. Just sayin.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• nolaegghead
    Options
    @SGH, you old dog....I thought I was the only one who never slept!
    Options
    @nolaegghead‌
    Brother I just recently completed a job offshore where I was mostly on night shift so I'm kind of messed up. It's very hard to go from nights to days when you been on it for months. I fixing to be working night shift again next week in Houston so I might as well be up.

Status- Standing by.

• nolaegghead
    Options
    @SGH I understand.  I worked night shift at a lab back in the late '80s.  Really messes you up when you have to do something like go to a diurnal family function on your time off.  It's a jet lag without crossing time-zones.

Have to get up at 7, so I'm hitting the hay.  'g-nite brother.
    Options
    Good to see I have @SGH and @nolaegghead‌ hanging in the wee hours. On pacific time here, almost time to turn in.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • SGH
    Options
    @DMW @nolaegghead‌
    Have a good one my friends.

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    @DMW‌
    How did that shoulder turn out!

Status- Standing by.

• DMW
    Options
    @SGH Coming along nicely. IT is 185* right now on the rear butt. The front one is running a few degrees behind. I ran it at 225* for most of the first part of the cook, up to 250* for the past few hours. Just added a pan of baked beans. Now to prep the ABTs and Rattlesnake Tails. My SIL prepped the beans and will also be making her cornbread recipe that has been handed down in her family originally from West Virginia. I'm getting really hungry. :)

imageimage
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• SGH
    Options
    @DMW‌
    Brother the food is looking outstanding as always. Keep us updated my friend. Any chance of sharing that cornbread recipe? ;)

Status- Standing by.

• nolan8v
    nolan8v Posts: 400
    Options
    DMW,

What kind of smoker did you use to smoke the butt?
    "You can live in any city in America, but New Orleans is the only city that lives in you."
    Chris Rose 

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited June 2014
    Options

@SGH, you old dog....I thought I was the only one who never slept!

Nope. I'm unfortunately also an insomniac!
    Insomniac with Dave Attell - New Orleans - Full E…: http://youtu.be/1o1BodkM2oI
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • SGH
    Options
    @NPHuskerFL‌
    Me to brother. I only sleep 3 or 4 hours in a 24 hour period. It's awful.

Status- Standing by.

• NPHuskerFL
    Options
    @SGH‌ ya it sucks big donkey D!
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • DMW
    Options
    @nolan8v It's a 30 year old homemade smoker we are guessing was made from a pool filter tank.

Butts are off and ABTs and Rattlesnake tails just went on.

@SGH I will try to get the recipe, as I will be interested in having it as well.
    imageimage
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• SGH
    Options
    @DMW‌
    That's some fine looking food my friend. Hope y'all enjoy! Don't forget that cornbread recipe!! ;)

Status- Standing by.

• DMW
    Options
    @SGH I just spoke with my wife, the girls have been out shopping all day and they won't be back in time for my SIL to fix her cornbread. So they picked up rolls at the store. I will be sure to get the recipe at some point this week and let you know.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• NPHuskerFL
    Options
    @DMW‌ you don't look old enough to have a SIL.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Sister is my guess
    Ok, showing more of my ignorance: whats a rattlesnake tail?

Little Rock, AR

• DMW
    Options
    @Biggreenpharmacist‌ Rattlesnake tails are like ABTs but use Anaheim peppers instead of jalapeño.

Here it is before we tore into it.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Looks like a feast fit for a king!! Just goes to show the majority of the cook is in the cook not the vessel. Nice job!!

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    Well heck, I guess I've cooked rattlesnake tails and didnt know it. We also use banana peppers a lot during the summer when the garden is producing.

Little Rock, AR

• NPHuskerFL
    Options
    @DMW‌ :)) didn't even think of sister in law. I was thinking son in law.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • DMW
    Options
    @NPHuskerFL‌ & @nolaegghead I heard last week I was going to be a grand-uncle in December. I couldn't believe it. My niece is with us this week from Hawaii (husband is stationed there) and sure enough she has a baby bump. My wife is 8 years older than me and she is the baby of the family, her brother and sister are 9 and 10 years older than her. My FIL is 93 this year and we are blessed to still have him here with us and with a sound mind.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• nolaegghead
    Options
    So NPHuskerFL is right.

Yeah, SWMBO is the baby of 8 kids.  One of her older sisters has 10 kids.  Some o them kids have kids.  Gets pretty insane around here during holidays.  I don't even know all of their names.
    Options
    @NPHuskerFL‌ My daughter is 12, I'd better not have a son in law! =))
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• NPHuskerFL
    Options
    DMW said:

DMW said:

I believe I'd see ya on our news discovering new ways to use a brisky knife. :))
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014