Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help needed

Options
I find myself in a situation where I will need to cook a dish in a gas grille. What I need to do is duplicate an oven as best as possible and I will be using a cupcake pan with a pasta mixture and bread. I ran a test yesterday and although the muffin tops were done, the inner walls were overdone.

Any ideas on how to as best as possible duplicate an oven?

Thanks
The problem with a problem is that you don't know it's a problem until it's a problem, and that is a big problem.
Holding the company together with three spreadsheets and two cans connected by a long piece of string.

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    You need a heat shield that is larger than the pan or object that you are cooking.  The object you are cooking needs to be raised up a couple/few inches above that on a grate.  You could use a large pizza stone or steel as a shield.  A cookie sheet would work, although it may warp.  The higher up you can get your food, the better, more even it will bake.
    Options
    I'm assuming that you're putting the cupcake pan directly on the grill grates on the gas grille?  Assuming that you're doing it this way that would be directly over the flame/heat source which is causing the pan to heat up more than the air around it, causing the issue of nicely done muffin tops and overdone inner walls.  I'll make 2 suggestions that could help you out, from my Gas Grilling days, never did much baking but either should work.  First depending on how many burners are in the grill and the way they run across the grill (either front to back or across the width of the grill) you could simply only turn on the burners that the pan will not be over to regulate your temp and create indirect/oven effect.  If you're using a 4 burner or more with the burners running front to back just light up two of them on one side and put the pan on the other.  The other route you could go would be to find a larger pan that the cupcake pan will fit in and you could fill with water creating a water bath around your cupcake pan.  This should give you more even heat around the pan than directly over the burners/in contact with the grates.  I would use this method if you can't shut off burners as this will create more moisture in the grill which could mess up your muffin tops...
    Large and Mini BGE

Hamilton, VA
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    I agree with both comments and would add that if you use a heat barrier like the platesetter, space the pan off the ceramic with something like a second muffin pan inverted.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• RajunCajun
    RajunCajun Posts: 1,035
    Options
    Thanks guys.  Crossing my fingers on this one.  It's a competition cook and I am forced to work with what we have.
    The problem with a problem is that you don't know it's a problem until it's a problem, and that is a big problem.
    Holding the company together with three spreadsheets and two cans connected by a long piece of string.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    edited June 2014
    Options
    @RajunCajun‌
    Every one above has given you good advice. I would like to offer one more very important tip my friend. Come over to the Crimson Tide side! Just messing with you my friend. Good luck at the comp. Hope you win.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out.