Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rib Rub

Options
I just smoked my first couple racks off ribs on the Egg. I used Bad Byron's store bought on half and made something akin to a Myron Mixon rub for the others. I didn't think either one was overly "spicey" but unfortunately the rest of the household didn't see it that way. So, I'd like to ask for some suggestions for a nice, flavorful rub (so I can go with or without sauce) that doesn't bring the heat.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• fence0407
    fence0407 Posts: 2,237
    Options
    Large - Mini - Blackstone 17", 28", 36"
    Cumming, GA  

• Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    Try making your own so you can control the pepper content.
    salt
    onion powder
    garlic powder
    paprika 

for starters, 

then add black & red pepper to your family's liking

You can also add things like powdered (not rubbed) sage, powdered thyme (not leaves), etc.
    Maybe a little curry powder if you like curry
    cinnamon & nutmeg may sound strange, but in small quantities add an interesting twist.

You can use sugar but go real light if you do as sugar is very prone to burning
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• Firemanyz
    Firemanyz Posts: 907
    Options
    If you have a smart phone there is a weber grill app that has some good rub recipes on it. I have taken their base and added a few things to make some great rubs. Look at the beef rub and the type a rub. I got the app free one day through a link someone posted on there. But in my opinion it's worth checking out.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    edited June 2014
    Options
    I think that when most people say "too spicy," they mean too red pepper hot, even tho' the earliest BBQ sauce recipes I've read used cayenne.

I agree w. Zmokin a lot. I think sugar is not a problem if doing a low temp cook, dome around 275 or less.  His suggestions about cinnamon and nutmeg are good. I'd also suggest small amounts of allspice.

Tiny, tiny amounts of clove. Likewise Szechuan pepper, which isn't hot, but gives a numbing, tingly effect.

Using celery salt for a part of the salt component seems to work pretty well.

I've been messing w. rub mixes, and I've noticed that the flavors of several standard ingredients, namely paprika, black pepper, and mustard, fade away. I made one mix that had enough fresh ground black pepper that it made me sneeze, but after cooking, the flavor and zing was barely noticeable. I made another where 30% was good quality hot Hungarian paprika. It ended up like sawdust.

• smokeyj
    smokeyj Posts: 340
    Options
    At your local Lowes they may carry sweet rub o mine. I really lime that stuff. My favorite for ribs is texas BBQ rubs grand champion.
  • StillSmoken
    StillSmoken Posts: 327
    Options
    I like Oak Ridge "Secret Weapon" on line at oak ridge BBQ. Go Bucs!!!
    Kennesaw Ga. XL Egg. Cheers, Kevin
  • QDude
    QDude Posts: 1,052
    Options
    Simply Marvelous cherry rub is great and not too spicy.

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    I second your post, my kids can't do bad Byron's. I even cut it with 50% brown sugar and the bite was still there.
    Seattle, WA
  • BarbecueBuc
    Options
    Thanks everybody, I appreciate the help!

Working backwards...

I like Bad B's too Skinny. It's still got a place on my pork chops!

Q Dude- definitely going to check that out and SOON.

Still Smoken- the Secret Weapon is on order. Will report back... Go Bucs!

Smokey J- I've seen Sweet Rub O' Mine surface on the Egg threads. I'll definitely pick some up on the next Lowes' trip.

GDenby- interesting and outside the box extension on Zmokin's post. Combinations that I hadn't even thought to delve into. Very cool!!

Firemanyz- Thanks for the head's up on the Weber app. I am a big fan of the Chicago Steak seasoning when grilling thick Strips at high heat. Have you ever tried the KC Seasoning? Looked to be more of a sweet(er) grill seasoning than a rub for longer smoke but, I don't know.

Zmokin- a solid idea of building and tailoring. I've tried to do that a little but I'm still kind of new and I'm trying to learn the rules before I break the rules so to speak so I've been sticking pretty close to whatever the particular "recipe" is. The idea of tapering back the pepper in whatever combination I choose is a must. I LOVE me so some pepper too.  So sad... ;)

Fence- Dizzy Dust, eh?? A solid recommendation based on the amount of attention Dizzy Pig has garnered. Thank you for that, and I'm going to take my entire next pay check and buy a 4 oz. shaker. LOL!! Seriously, I'm going to give it another time or two to make sure I have the cooking/ time/ temp/ smoking part of this down & then I'm going to get Dizzy! Pic from my first attempt attached.

In the meantime brother, can I help you out with subbing out another beer for the one you have in your profile pic?!?!? C'mon man!! (Kiddin' cuz' I care).

Thank you again everyone for the awesome tips!

BBQ Buc... out.

500 Posts: 3,177
    Options
    Here is a basic rub recipe you can make your own; http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1166892/secret-bbq-rub
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • jerryb78
    jerryb78 Posts: 215
    Options
    Bad Byron's is pretty heavy on the pepper.  It would probably be fine for a bigger cut of meat like a pork butt, but on ribs it was a bit too much for my kids.  I've been real happy with Dizzy Dust so far.
    LBGE
    Menasha, WI
  • fence0407
    fence0407 Posts: 2,237
    Options
    @BarbecueBuc - Dizzy Pig gets a ton of attention on here and for the most part, rightly so. I'd say start out with a small bottle of it and see what you think. They also sell a sampler pack that might be of interest to you. 

As far as the 16oz Miller Light in my profile pic - it's cheap and in a cool can! Other than that, I'd have no reason to buy it lol. Besides my own homebrew beer, I prefer Landshark over most other beers. Bourbon and red wine make their regular appearances too :D
    Large - Mini - Blackstone 17", 28", 36"
    Cumming, GA  

• KenfromMI
    KenfromMI Posts: 742
    Options
    My go to rub has always been Slap Yo Daddy's all purpose from his website. (Not the stuff for sale) the free recipe. I've tweaked it 100 times but the original is quick and easy to make with everything you have in your house. I've tried a lot from books etc but for the most part they are pretty similar. I just bought my first store bought run in 9 years of smoking. I bought a 32oz Dizzy Pig and so far I'm pretty happy with it. I've used it on chicken, beef ribs  and chuck roast so far. I just need to try it on pork which is what I originally bought it for. I'm liking it so far but don't feel it's superior to homemade ones I have made in the past.
    Dearborn MI
  • EggarAllenPoe
    Options

I've had compliments on Amazing Ribs Memphis Dust. Good bark with just a little spice. Great on butts too!  Go Bucs!!

http://amazingribs.com/recipes/rubs_pastes_marinades_and_brines/meatheads_memphis_dust.html

"i'm not a complete idiot, some of my parts are missin'"

Cleveland, OH