Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Flat plate setter???

Options
Anyone seen this before? I saw it on amazon and was intrigued. I guess it's best purpose would be when you need a crapload of space for major cooks???

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

Comments

• FanOfFanboys
    FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
    Options
    So... A pizza stone that extends out? I could see it being useful but a pizza stone on a grate is essentially same thing
    Boom
  • KenfromMI
    KenfromMI Posts: 742
    Options
    I think the extra space being lower would be too close to the charcoal to be useful when stacking the food.
    Dearborn MI
  • Cremon
    Cremon Posts: 21
    Options
    If they start selling it at local dealers I'll get one.  
    Marietta, GA

Big Green Egg XL, 
    Cheap char grill for quick grilling
    110,000 BTU outdoor propane burner with an 18" Chinese wok.
  • FearlessTheEggNoob
    Options
    That looks like a Safire brand kamado in the pic.
    Gittin' there...
  • DaveRichardson
    DaveRichardson Posts: 2,324
    Options
    It says it will fit the LBGE in their description....

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,567
    Options
    That looks like it would work well with the adjustable rig.
  • DaveRichardson
    DaveRichardson Posts: 2,324
    Options

That looks like it would work well with the adjustable rig.

That's what I was thinking!

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited June 2014
    Options
    There's a couple of these around, per Amazon, one at $55 the other at $95. Have no idea what the difference might be but they are basically a setter without legs. 
    I think the intention is to use it as a setter or if placed on a grid at the felt line a pizza stone with something else acting as the heat deflector. Most of us use an AR or setter to get a grid at or above the felt line and then put a pizza stone on the grid. 
    If it was available in 16" to fit my MBGE, I'd be interested for indirects if I didn't have a setter. I use a Grill Dome grid extender to get above the felt line (it sits on the fire ring and straddles the setter legs)
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    Looking at my platesetter's legs, there is a ridge of material running vertically on the leg to strengthen it. Without the leg and this ridge of material, I wonder if the legless "ears" would be weaker and easier to break? Just thinking out loud.
    Flint, Michigan
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    Here's a pic.
    Flint, Michigan