Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My Egg is on Crack

Options
DMW
DMW Posts: 13,832
Heating up my XL for pizza tonight. Heard a pop, thought it was just charcoal. Sitting here drinking a beer and noticed this.

OK to proceed with high heat cook?
imageimageimage
They/Them
Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker

Comments

• CANMAN1976
    CANMAN1976 Posts: 1,593
    Options
    Have a hose handy and get the warranty in action . Wouldn't risk a fire !
    Hows ya gettin' on, me ol ****

Kippens.Newfoundland and Labrador. (Canada).
  • badinfluence
    badinfluence Posts: 1,774
    Options
    Ain't gonna hurt it anymore. I say go nuclear
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • DMW
    Options
    I have a fire extinguisher at the ready. Warranty will be submitted Monday.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Sorry that happened.  I'd fire it up but keep an eye on it. 
    Options
    Can't tell but looks like it may be on a deck. As above, keep a close watch and be ready to put out a fire if even more disaster strikes. I get sad every time I see one of these.
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Options
    I recently discovered a crack like that on the bottom of my Egg.  Warranty order has been placed, but I have still cooked pizza, etc on it with no further problems....
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Options
    Definitely keep an eye on it. My warranty dealer said he would only do low n slows until I could install the new base. When my base was cracked and I didn't know it, my lump consumption was quite a bit higher. It must have been drawing air in through the crack as it took a long time for the temp to come back down. I couldn't see the crack due to my egg being in a table and the crack was at about 11 o'clock and working across the bottom. Found it when I saw moisture coming out the bottom on a low n slow. I guess what I'm saying is that even when you think it's snuffed out it likely won't be. Be very careful on your deck. 
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    Sorry man. :(
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    That's exactly what mine did.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • DMW
    Options
    Just finished pizza 4 of 4. Pulled beef turned out pretty good too.imageimageimage
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @DMW‌
    Looks like a winner to me brother. =D>

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    @DMW‌ Bummer man :-( And this is why the warranty is worth every penny. Nice pies too!
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • GeorgeS
    GeorgeS Posts: 955
    Options
    Damn shame on the crack! Nice looking chow though for sure!
    Bristow Virginia XL&Mini One of the best feelings in life is watching other people enjoy the food I cooked!
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @DMW‌
    I have heard a very loud pop a few times myself before that really concerned me. So far haven't found a crack any where yet. Wonder what it was?

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• DMW
    Options
    Everything was rolling fine, and then this happened.

JK, this is the fire pit. :))
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Options
    That sucks... Happy you were able to get dinner finished
  • pescadorzih
    pescadorzih Posts: 926
    Options
    Sorry to hear about the crack DMW. Hopefully warranty won't take long. Did you get it at Fred's or Meadow Creek?
    SE PA
    XL, Lg, Mini max and OKJ offset
  • DMW
    edited June 2014
    Options
    @pescadorzih Got it at Meadow Creek. They have handled a few other warranty claims for me and have been great to deal with.

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    You make nice looking pizzas, even when on the crack! 

Damn shame about the crack.  I mentioned this in another crack thread...it seems like Big Green Eggs crack all the time now.  Maybe there is just more activity and people report them more, but I think BGE needs to address this.  It's great they have the warranty and all but it's still a hassle to disassemble it and return it.  They need to get the eggs off the crack.  Are the ceramics no longer space aged?  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• pescadorzih
    pescadorzih Posts: 926
    Options
    DMW said:
    @pescadorzih Got it at Meadow Creek. They have handled a few other warranty claims for me and have been great to deal with.

Are you going to the eggfest next weekend?
    I might be stopping over again to sample some food.
    SE PA
    XL, Lg, Mini max and OKJ offset
  • DMW
    Options
    @pescadorzih‌ Nope, won't be able to make it this year. Really bummed, the SKH fests are next week as well. If I was around I think I would have done a tasting tour.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• KJWILD
    KJWILD Posts: 95
    Options
    Sorry to hear that, meal looks like it turned out awesome. Hopefully the warranty replacement will not take that long.
    Husband, Father, Grandfather and Chef of the Home Front. XL BGE- purchased on 5/28/2014
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    They have always cracked I think there were just less around. I have had 2 bases crack both at 700 plus degrees. Sucks when it happens but luckily I am kinda close to tucker just drive down and get new ones. I also do my pizzas around 550 now.
  • DMW
    Options
    FWIW, dome temp was only up to 400* when I noticed the crack.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Options

Well that's a darn shame for sure but you do have the lifetime warranty from BGE! But now you have me wondering if you have ever used any of that horrible Royal Oak Lump? If so I'm sure that is the reason for the failure in the egg! Must have been a ROCK that caused it! Yep I'm a trouble maker! JJ

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• DMW
    edited June 2014
    Options
    Hmm, been using mostly RO since I got it. This was the first time using Rockwood. Should I blame the Rockwood? :))
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• DMW
    Options
    OK, tried to call my dealer, but they are closed today for Pentecost Monday. Had no idea Amish observed that, but according to their answering machine they do.

Yesterday decided to gather up the family and head to NYC since the weather was perfect. Oh, yeah I saw this mentioned as well:

Since it was being held in Madison Square Park, I just had to hit the Shake Shack as well. @cazzy is right, the burgers are really good at Shake Shack. And brisket from Delaney was good as well. Finally got to try some of their sausage, great flavor profile. I need to start playing with sausage recipes again.

imageimage

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• Tbonesmokes
    Options
    We go to the Big Apple Block Party every year with Ubon's BBQ of Yazoo City MS.  Served 5000 lbs of pulled pork this year.  Great event.

XLBGE, LBGE, 2 Superior SS-2 gravity feed smokers;  Medford Lakes NJ
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    Mine did that too, my cedar table started to burn as well. Be careful.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Options
    DMW said:
    Hmm, been using mostly RO since I got it. This was the first time using Rockwood. Should I blame the Rockwood? :))
    I wouldn't tell Big Green Egg you were using Rockwood!!!!!!
    =))

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer