Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ribs over hang the Large Plate Setter...Question??

Options
jhl192
jhl192 Posts: 1,006
Earlier today, @hondabbq started a thread about the size of the drip pan and ribs.  It brought up a good question that I would like to hear more comments about. Here is the question:

A typical rack of Baby back ribs are 17 inches long to start.  The large plate setter is just over 13 inches in diameter.  He mentioned that the ends of his ribs dry out because they are basically cooking direct.  Based on some of the responses, there seems to be 4 choices to avoid drying out the ends of your ribs:  

1) Cut the racks of ribs in half  (thus not allowing you to do the bend test)
2) Put a 16" pan over the 13" PS and block airflow (<1 inch open on the sides) 
3) Wrap the ends of the ribs with HDAF until they shrink back to 13" (if they ever do)
4) Use an XL whose PS is already 18" in diameter to begin with 

Surely this cannot be a big a deal to resolve as I have seen tons of pictures of mouthwatering racks of ribs coming off larges on this forum.  None of these solutions seem to be ideal for the large owner ( I guess the problem is worse for Medium and Small).  Is this an over reaction or is @hondabbq onto something here?  Which is the best path? How do you cook a full rack of ribs or a few racks of ribs on your large?   
XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 

Comments

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    I just place foil under the exposed area..
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
    500 Posts: 3,177
    Options
    I've found that I need to use a rib rack, cut them in half, and cut the ends off, in order to fit three racks in the large. Fitting them has been a problem with me.
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @jhl192‌
    Simple my friend. Just lay your V-Rack on the grid upside down and lace your ribs across it. I have even used bricks wrapped in foil instead of the V-Rack. This will affectively shorten the ribs. Hope this helps my friend.

imageimage

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• LincolnPark_Egghead
    Options
    I used to worry about things like over hang, or the drip pan being too big or too small, but now I just go with it and I haven't been dissapointed once. The difference between getting it perfect and pretty good on the egg isnt big enough for me to worry about. Just put the drip pan on, set the temp low, and cook it slow. You'll make a winner every time. Keep calm and egg on!
    Large BGE, Chicago, IL
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited June 2014
    Options
    I typically just use foil to protect the overhang as well.  Basically I just shape the foil to fit the profile of the ribs. 

I usually only do 3 full slabs and just cut them in half so its less of an issue as they pretty much fit.  This was 4 racks with 2 of them cut in half.  The whole racks go in the middle.  On a random side note the skewers also help so I could shape the racks (note how the ends are sort of curled to the left and right), and as bonus makes it easier to carry out the rib rack pre-loaded.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Miked125
    Miked125 Posts: 481
    Options
    AR with r&b combo?
  • Nanook
    Nanook Posts: 846
    Options
    +1 AR with r&b combo. Just ordered one....
    GWN
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    edited June 2014
    Options
    I put 6 racks on my large for Memorial Day weekend.  Pics below.   I put tinfoil on the 3 edges of the grate that overhang the plate setter.  Didn't seem like anything dried out or burnt, everything was edible.

As I commented earlier, I did think the places the ribs touched caused those parts to cook a little longer.  So if I do it again I'll try to keep them all apart but I use the word "try" loosely, as everything cooked just fine in the end.  After 4ish hours I just checked them every 30 until done and I'd rotate them if exposure was needed.

Kept two racks dry and sauced 4.

After doing this, I think I'll keep the racks whole even when doing just 3 racks (that's what comes in a Costco pack!)  Seperating them by a blank space will keep them apart and there are less "ends."
    LBGE/Maryland
  • Nanook
    Nanook Posts: 846
    Options
    Those look amazing! Making me hungry!!
    GWN
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    @KilterTodd that is one full egg and the ribs look great.  

Of  course course we must throw in this obligatory pic:

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• KiterTodd
    Options
    @KilterTodd that is one full egg and the ribs look great.  

Of  course course we must throw in this obligatory pic:

Thanks.

Wow...that's impressive.  I'm not sure how there was even room for airflow, but it clearly got past somehow!  Makes my 6 full racks of babies seem like nothing!  :)
    LBGE/Maryland
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    edited June 2014
    Options
    Nanook said:

+1 AR with r&b combo. Just ordered one....

Last night it looked like the stone was OOS , I just looked after your post and finally pulled the trigger. Before its out of stock again.
    Extender, extra grid...wok...spider.

Sheesh :-?

Now what to do with woo3
    Seattle, WA
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Now that's hanging over
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • jhl192
    jhl192 Posts: 1,006
    Options
    Thanks everybody! Great ideas, great perspective and a few laughs! I spent some time talking to Tom at The CeramicGrillStore and he suggested the AR Ribs and Brisket combo. I've got lots of solutions to pick from. There are two videos on their website worth watching. The BGE is a great thing,but it is the community of aftermarket products, cooking websites , charcoal vendors, spice vendors and most importantly passionate cooks at all levels willing to help make the experience better. Thanks again.
    XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 
  • KiterTodd
    Options
    Miked125 said:
    AR with r&b combo?
    What does that mean? 
    (still not up on all the BGEAs ...Big Green Egg Acronyms)
    LBGE/Maryland
  • cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,194
    Options