Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bachelor Night

Options
The wife is at the hospital all night so figured I would have a bachelor night. What a better night than adult beverages, stogies, and the egg. Have done lots of BBs but first time doing spare ribs. Didn't do very much trimming. Mostly the "skirt" and removed the membrane. The ribs with the (I think) back bone attach where slit down to the rib part of the meat. Not sure if that's normal or not. Did a basic rub of pepper, salt, onion powder, garlic powder, chili powder, cayenne pepper, paprika, and brown sugar. Put the on with PS legs up, drip pan (no liquids), and a raised gris at 300. Guess it's not totally a bachelor as I have the two kids. ;). imageimageimageimageimageimage
Large and Small BGE
Central, IL

Comments

• grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    Enjoy!
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    You should surprise your wife with dinner. Like my dad used to say ...  'Happy Wife, Happy Life".
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • tksmoke
    tksmoke Posts: 776
    Options

Looks great - hounds guarding the Egg...

I feel the need for ribs this very weekend - thanks for the inspiration.

Santa Paula, CA
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @saluki2007‌
    Nice looking ribs you got there. I like your dogs as well.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    @grege345 I often do that. Usually pays off the next night. B-)
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Nicely done on the ribs. Any after shots?
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • KenfromMI
    KenfromMI Posts: 742
    Options
    My dog likes the smell of smoking meats so much I have to keep my smoker in the driveway on the other side of the fence. One time in February the wind was blowing hard and the smoke was going horizontaly through the fence. He was standing there with his nose directly in the smoke smelling my pork butt and cherry wood. He got so excited he started gyrating faster and faster and finally lost his footing on the ice and fell on his butt LOL
    Dearborn MI
  • saluki2007
    edited June 2014
    Options
    Wow. Thats all I can say. Not sure when the next time I will do BBs will be.  The Egg settled in at 310.  Had some cherry chunks mixed in through out the lump.  No foil, drip pan (no liquids), and no foiling.  Went for about 3.5 hours.  I usually serve sauce on the side, but in my opinion these did not need any sauce.  They were not fall of the bone, but still very tender.  As noted earlier and now can be seen clearly, not sure why the butcher created "fingers" with the back bone.  Maybe it helps the meat cook if left on?  The third picture is the bottom portion of the first picture.  What exactly is that cut called?  Was tender, but also had lots of fat and gristle.

imageimageimage
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• saluki2007
    Options
    KenfromMI said:
    My dog likes the smell of smoking meats so much I have to keep my smoker in the driveway on the other side of the fence. One time in February the wind was blowing hard and the smoke was going horizontaly through the fence. He was standing there with his nose directly in the smoke smelling my pork butt and cherry wood. He got so excited he started gyrating faster and faster and finally lost his footing on the ice and fell on his butt LOL
    That's funny.  The weimaraner doesn't really care, but the boxer is only 7 months old and now starting to enjoy it.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• tulocay
    tulocay Posts: 1,737
    Options
    Great looking ribs. Not sure what that section is called, but if you cut it off, you have St. Louis style ribs (my personal favorite).
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • saluki2007
    edited June 2014
    Options
    Thanks tulocay.  I am aware of the St. Louis style.  I have a second rack that I am going to do that to.  As it being my first rack I wanted to try them in there natural state.  
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• tulocay
    tulocay Posts: 1,737
    Options
    Also, all of the spares I have ever bought have the same "fingers". Not sure what that is?
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Looks great from here. ;-)
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    The spares look great- nice work!   I like the homemade rub.  Do you do equal parts of all the ingredients shown or what is the ratio? 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• saluki2007
    Options
    @SmokeyPitt  Thanks!

I just kind of threw the ingrediants together for the rub, but it was something like this:
    3 tablespoons pepper
    2 tablespoons kosher salt
    1.5 tablespoons turbinado brown sugar
    1 tablespoon paprika
    .75 tablespoon onion powder
    .75 tablespoon garlic powder
    .75 tablespoon chilli powder
    .75 tablespoon cayenne pepper
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• KenfromMI
    Options
    I always called them the chine bone and rib tips. With those removed you have the St. Louis cut.
    Dearborn MI
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Looks great. Never seen the "fingers" before. new to me.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• KenfromMI
    Options
    I worked in a rib joint for 4 years of high school. They cut the fingers but that was only because they left the rib tips attached. They would cut through the cartilage with a chefs knife so the customer didn't struggle with it at the table.
    Dearborn MI
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Great looking cook man!  I did some spares for Memorial Day and LOVED them.  I liked them a lot better than BB's. 
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • saluki2007
    Options
    Does any one know the name of portion of meat next to the rib tips?  This is the part they say to throw in with beans or chilli correct?
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• KenfromMI
    Options
    I always just called it the flap meat.
    Dearborn MI
  • tksmoke
    tksmoke Posts: 776
    Options

Nice looking cook!!  Typically you would trim that down to make St. Louis style ribs.  The issue with doing the whole thing is that you have vastly different thickness/densities.  Consequently, when the ribs are done, the yummy meat portion is toast.  There are lots of videos and trimming guides - here's a straight forward one: http://www.oakridgebbq.com/how-to-trim-competition-st-louis-spare-ribs/#axzz33gFP0PqH .  I always do the trimmings alongside the ribs, but they go for much less time.

Unfortunately, I start eating the trimmings, and I fill up before the ribs are ready.

Santa Paula, CA
  • saluki2007
    edited June 2014
    Options
    Thanks tk!  I watched a Aaron Franklin video on YouTube yesterday about trimming them STL style.  Going to do that on the next rack.

I did trim off the skirt part and smoked it along side the rack and ate it as an appy.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• KenfromMI
    Options
    I always have the butcher trim them and then I make Kapusniak with the rib tips and flap meat and BBQ the Spares.
    Dearborn MI