Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chip popped off... is this a defect?

Options
Hey folks, I'm new to the forum. I've had my BGE for a little over 2 years and just recently when preheating it to turbo a couple of steaks a chip popped off the side of the dome. I've always been concerned with the cracks all in the ceramic, I guess my BGE may have a defect or something. Thoughts?

Rocky Top, TN — Large BGE • Cast Iron Grate & Platesetter • Rockwood Lump

Comments

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    All the little "cracks" are crazing, completely normal, nothing to worry about.

That big chip that popped off is not normal. You can get a replacement dome under warranty from your dealer. Just send them these photos and they should be able to get one for you. If they don't require you to return the existing damaged one, I would keep the replacement new in box until it gets so bad you can't tolerate it.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • EggHead_Bubba
    Options
    Yes, that's a good idea. Is it normal for the dome to have those spider web looking cracks all over it?

• MO_Eggin
    MO_Eggin Posts: 282
    Options
    The spider web cracks (aka crazing) is normal.  That big chip is not.
    LBGE - St. Louis, MO; MM & LBGE - around 8100' somewhere in the CO Front Range
  • EggHead_Bubba
    Options
    Okay thanks... I have no idea what caused the chip unless the glaze failed and let moisture in. The reason I ask about the "crazing" is because the dome is too hot to the touch in my opinion. I smoked a butt yesterday and dome temp was right at 250 and the exterior of the dome was really hot. I know I remember when I first got the BGE, I could touch the dome and it wouldn't be near this hot. I figured perhaps the cracks were letting in a lot of moisture which was conducting the heat from inside to out.

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    defect. That crazing looks excessive compared to my eggs that are older.

edited June 2014
    Options
    My local BGE warranty dealer has all the photos and proof of purchase. They are going to submit my claim to BGE on my behalf. They have been very helpful so we'll see what BGE offers. The base also has similar crazing but the cracks are closer together than the dome. 

Thanks for the replies, I'm glad that I finally was able to get an approved account to post. I tried two different email addresses and what finally worked was logging in with my gmail account.

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,528
    Options

@EggHead_Bubba-Welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.

In an above post you mentioned how the dome felt hotter when cooking at 250*F then what you are used to.  Check out your thermo calibration as something doesn't match.  FWIW-

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • EggHead_Bubba
    Options
    lousubcap said:

@EggHead_Bubba-Welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.

In an above post you mentioned how the dome felt hotter when cooking at 250*F then what you are used to.  Check out your thermo calibration as something doesn't match.  FWIW-

Yes, I routinely calibrate my dome thermometer so I believe it to be accurate. I just think the dome has allowed a lot of moisture in it through the micro cracks (crazing?) over the past two years. Thanks