Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

some states must have no eggers

Options
RRP
RRP Posts: 25,897
As some of you know I have been the Rutland guy for over 12 years now. During this time I have kept a record of the buyers name, city, state and what size gasket and when I sold it, but never their street address. This has just been a service and hobby of mine all these years. As I quickly approach 1,200 gaskets I see I have sent multiple gaskets to 11 foreign countries and 42 states. I have to wonder if there are no eggers in the remaining 8 states. There are some commonalities to the missing states, but just the same I would think over 12 years the odds would have diminished. BTW the missing states are: AK, HI, ID, ME, ND, RI, VT, WV
Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    Very interesting
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Low population states (ID, ME, ND, RI, VT, WV) or outside the 48 (AK, HI). Just a rather random hypothesis.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • golfandgrill
    golfandgrill Posts: 198
    Options
    I am in ND. I have 2 eggs. Maybe the cold helps our gaskets ?
    Fighting Sioux Hockey
  • Griff2w2
    Griff2w2 Posts: 53
    Options
    Im im ND as well. I will look you up if/when mine starts to go
  • RRP
    Options
    DMW said:
    Low population states (ID, ME, ND, RI, VT, WV) or outside the 48 (AK, HI). Just a rather random hypothesis.
    I agree, but if a sufficient number of eggs have shipped across the ponds both ways that I have sold to multiple foreign countries then I'd think those NE states would have had a few by now and seeing the number of Canadian eggers then the Northern US states would have been exposed and WV...well I don't know enough about that state. 
  • fence0407
    fence0407 Posts: 2,237
    Options
    Wow - very interesting. You'll have another order for a Rutland gasket here in GA when mine craps out.
    Large - Mini - Blackstone 17", 28", 36"
    Cumming, GA  

• bigguy136
    bigguy136 Posts: 1,362
    Options
    Sorry, I got mine from centex99 as a 1 time order. Two other co-workers now have eggs and I will let them know about your product.

Big Lake, Minnesota

2X Large BGE, 1 Mini Max, Stokers, Adjustable Rig

• KennyLee
    KennyLee Posts: 806
    edited June 2014
    Options

I'd agree that it's more a product of population than anything, and of course some pure happenstance also since WY I believe is still the least populated state and you've sent one or more there. 

On a side note @RRP, I've had my Egg for almost two years and the gasket still seems to be intact and strong though lots of cooks, many of which have been high heat.  Is that normal or is there a lifespan I should look out for?  I'll certainly buy one of yours when mine craps out.

LBGE

Cedar table w/granite top

Ceramic Grillworks two-tier swing rack

Perpetual cooler of ice-cold beer

• SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    You can take Idaho off your list. My buddy lives there and has one.
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    JuliE is in Maine. JuliA is in Vermont. No idea what they use for gaskets, but being in the northeast, maybe they can buy Rutland for 79¢ a foot like I can.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    pretty sure WV people have them.....they are not using computers yet though  :))

They use eggs to make shine
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• chainsaw19
    chainsaw19 Posts: 257
    Options
    The guy who got me into egging lives in WV, so count them amongst the group.
    Large BGE Middletown, MD
  • RRP
    Options

SoCalTim said:
    Thanks - but I meant the states where I have personally sold gaskets. Guess I wasn't clear. I know MANY others have applied Rutlands not sold by me and that was not my point - it was just my laid back observation tonight. 

@CarolinaQ posted a valid observation. Due to the cost of postage then if you have a source to buy the gasket in bulk like I do then more power to you! Over the years I have perfected hints and tips on how to apply it properly which I send along on how to make it last for years...Not sure that ACE or Amazon will do that nor sell you the length you need for your size egg.
  • RRP
    Options
    The guy who got me into egging lives in WV, so count them amongst the group.
    NO offense, man, please see my reply above.
  • FanOfFanboys
    FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
    Options
    pretty sure WV people have them.....they are not using computers yet though  :))
    too distracted with cute cousins :-)
    Boom
  • Brddog
    Brddog Posts: 18
    Options
    RRP said:

SoCalTim said:

Thanks - but I meant the states where I have personally sold gaskets. Guess I wasn't clear. I know MANY others have applied Rutlands not sold by me and that was not my point - it was just my laid back observation tonight. 

@CarolinaQ posted a valid observation. Due to the cost of postage then if you have a source to buy the gasket in bulk like I do then more power to you! Over the years I have perfected hints and tips on how to apply it properly which I send along on how to make it last for years...Not sure that ACE or Amazon will do that nor sell you the length you need for your size egg.

This looks like an advertisement? Just wondering.
  • bud812
    bud812 Posts: 1,869
    Options
    He makes 0 $ on this.

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Yep, an advertisement for a good guy doing a no profit service to fellow eggheads.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • jhl192
    jhl192 Posts: 1,006
    Options
    Hey, on Friday I posted about the NewEgglandFest in NH in June. I got 0 comments. The northeast has a few active forum folks like @Carolina Q and @fishlessman but not too many more. The northeast is not the hot coal bed of BBQ, that's for sure.
    XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @RRP‌
    In my opinion you are the best Rutland source period. The instructions and help that you include with the gasket are priceless. The few dollars in postage is more than offset by your detailed instructions and vast knowledge of the product that you sale. I had never applied a gasket on a Kamado type cooker before. I was able to open your package and read your instructions that you included and install my gasket correctly the first time around. No one else offers such service. Not only that you are a accomplished cook and a very active member of this forum as well as a honest and helpful person. That is the kind of person I would rather give my money to rather than a large retail outlet. Just my thoughts and opinions Sir.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    @RRP‌...you make nothing? @Carolina Q‌ Where Are You Getting it?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    edited June 2014
    Options
    henapple said:
    @RRP‌...you make nothing? @Carolina Q‌ Where Are You Getting it?
    Local hardware store always has a spool of it. 79¢ a foot. Been that price for years. Prolly a New England thing. I doubt you'll find it in Lauderdale. :)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• SGH
    Options
    You can find reels of it in most Tractor Supply stores in the south during what little winter that we have. Not year around that I noticed.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• RRP
    Options
    Sorry guys...my post tonight was just an observation that has gone bad. If you can buy it in bulk then go for it!
  • golfandgrill
    golfandgrill Posts: 198
    Options
    I'm almost willing to buy one just to be first on the books from ND
    Fighting Sioux Hockey
  • Holepuncher
    Holepuncher Posts: 388
    Options
    RRP you sound like me. Sometimes I ponder, the things I ponder. Most of my ponderings don't amount to anything,but, I still ponder them!
    Hendersonville, TN.
  • SGH
    Options
    @RRP‌
    As I said above, my money will keep going to you for all my gasket needs.

Status- Standing by.

• Smokinpig
    Smokinpig Posts: 739
    Options
    Low population states is probably an accurate reason.

LBGE Atlanta, GA

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    RRP said:
    As some of you know I have been the Rutland guy for over 12 years now. During this time I have kept a record of the buyers name, city, state and what size gasket and when I sold it, but never their street address. This has just been a service and hobby of mine all these years. As I quickly approach 1,200 gaskets I see I have sent multiple gaskets to 11 foreign countries and 42 states. I have to wonder if there are no eggers in the remaining 8 states. There are some commonalities to the missing states, but just the same I would think over 12 years the odds would have diminished. BTW the missing states are: AK, HI, ID, ME, ND, RI, VT, WV
    i would bet you have gaskets in maine, the majority of eggers in maine are massholes like myself heading to camp. 2 years ago they started selling eggs on a big tourist route in southern maine
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it