Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket, take two!

Options

Ok, this time we...
  • got a 5.26 lb brisket flat (previously tried a 2.65 lb)
  • did not fill the drip tray with water
  • arranged the chunks of hickory better
  • grid at 250 F (previously at 225 F)
  • pulled at 200 F at nearly 10.5 hours (hungry!) Was shooting for 205 F
  • and the results were amazing!

Horray!

Thanks for your suggestions everyone!
Northern Virginia
LBGE, Plate Setter, Pizza Stone, Cast Iron Grid, BBQ Guru DX2, CyberQ WiFi, ThermoWorks Thermapen / Infrared Thermometer.

Comments

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Beautiful. Slice the flat a little thinner (pencil width) and you will have mastered. Point can be sliced thicker but the flat is traditionally a little thinner.

Nice work. You are very close to perfection now.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • BKRonline
    BKRonline Posts: 22
    edited May 2014
    Options
    The Cen-Tex Smoker

Nice, thank you so much! This is TASTEY!
    Northern Virginia
    LBGE, Plate Setter, Pizza Stone, Cast Iron Grid, BBQ Guru DX2, CyberQ WiFi, ThermoWorks Thermapen / Infrared Thermometer.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Now you know :). Great job.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Look great! +1 on thinner slices but, I cannot talk as my slicing needs work also. I bought a new knife to help with that as the ole chef knife was way to thick to get brisky sliced the way it should be. Nice job man!
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • BKRonline
    Options
    @NPHuskerFL

Great thanks!
    Northern Virginia
  • KenfromMI
    KenfromMI Posts: 742
    Options
    Sweet looking flat. No injection or foil? How much of a fat cap was left on it?
    Dearborn MI
  • radamo
    radamo Posts: 373
    Options
    Looks like you had great success there. I am itching to try another Briskie...
    Long Island, NY
  • BKRonline
    Options
    @KenfromMI
    Thanks! No injection or foil on this one. I wanted to get the basics down before I try anything fancy so at least I'd have a good base of knowledge moving forward. I'm not sure how much of the fat cap SHOULD be left, but there was plenty for us! I'd say 1/4" on most of the flat. I have a photo but will not upload...

Thanks!
    Northern Virginia
  • KenfromMI
    KenfromMI Posts: 742
    Options
    Sounds like just a regular old Flat ........Great Job.

Dearborn MI
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,393
    Options

@BKRonline-most eggcellent cook.  Any time you hit a home-run with a flat you are waaay ahead.  Sounds like you went with the simple cook process and look what you got.  Hard to move off a winning brisket adventure!! 

BTW-welcome aboard and enjoy the journey!

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • BKRonline
    Options
    @KenfromMI
    Thanks again!

Thanks! This was certainly a great EGGxperience, maybe we just got lucky but I'm definitely looking forward to the next brisket! The simple cook process is what we have time for right now, my hours are long and unpredictable.
    Northern Virginia
  • msloan
    msloan Posts: 399
    Options
    amazing!!!!!
    gettin lucky in kentucky!   2 XL eggs!