Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Anyone have a good home remedy for poison oak?

Options
67 years youg never been effected by poison oak or Ivey. Can't say that any more.
Mr. Harley Winchester, TN

Comments

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Calamine lotion and whiskey.   

Calamine- apply to the affected area to help with itching.  
    Whiskey- ingest orally until you no longer care about the itching. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    ive only had extremely mild cases of sumac and i just dabbed it with acetone or rubbing alcohol, my siblings needed the pink stuff from cvs, thats probably better than acetone. dumping half a box of baking soda in a bath helped too
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Time. ..the only thing that works for me.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • mrharley
    mrharley Posts: 5
    Options
    Calamine lotion and whiskey.   

Calamine- apply to the affected area to help with itching.  
    Whiskey- ingest orally until you no longer care about the itching. 
    I'll drink to that, course the wife says I will drink to anything.
  • Rusty Rooster
    Rusty Rooster Posts: 1,239
    Options

I think you have to get a RX for it but Clobetasol Cream works quicker than anything else we have ever tried.  Our whole family gets it.

• mrharley
    mrharley Posts: 5
    Options

I think you have to get a RX for it but Clobetasol Cream works quicker than anything else we have ever tried.  Our whole family gets it.

I will check with my Dr. @ this point I am ready to try anything.

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Home remedy - plenty of booze.   Hydrocortisone lotion on the affected area and diphenhydramine (benadryl) orally.

If you are exposed to it, wash it off immediately using soap (it's an oil) and wash all your clothes, be aware of cross contamination (cell phone, wallet, etc.).  Clean all that stuff.
    Options
    Old song "gonna need an ocean of calamine lotion."
    Been there done that many times in my life.
    Bob
    Cookin' on the coast
    Shellman Bluff, GA
    Medium BGE

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Clean garden tools too. Urushiol (the plant oil that causes the problem) essentially lasts forever.

I had a severe case of it when I was about 9 years old so I am paranoid when it comes to this stuff. Swelling, crusted oozing skin, not pleasant! I have a few patches of it in my yard that are starting to spread. Been putting off doing anything about it because frankly, it scares me! May have to break down and hire someone. Apparently, white vinegar can be applied with a sprayer without getting near it. Supposed to kill it in a week or so, but may require repeated applications. And unlike Roundup, vinegar won't hurt my dog.   

Istr reading somewhere that white vinegar would also relieve the itching, but I've never tried it. Haven't had it in years. as I know well what it looks like and stay far far away! 

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    Clean garden tools too. Urushiol (the plant oil that causes the problem) essentially lasts forever.

I had a severe case of it when I was about 9 years old so I am paranoid when it comes to this stuff. Swelling, crusted oozing skin, not pleasant! I have a few patches of it in my yard that are starting to spread. Been putting off doing anything about it because frankly, it scares me! May have to break down and hire someone. Apparently, white vinegar can be applied with a sprayer without getting near it. Supposed to kill it in a week or so, but may require repeated applications. And unlike Roundup, vinegar won't hurt my dog.   

Istr reading somewhere that white vinegar would also relieve the itching, but I've never tried it. Haven't had it in years. as I know well what it looks like and stay far far away! 
    just be careful of getting it from the dog after he runs in it
    :)) someone pushed me into a big pile of poison ivy once, i came out with a clump in both hands to get even and rubbed it into him really good. i dont get a rash from poison ivy
    :)) he laughed for about a minute but i got to laugh for weeks
    :D
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Ivy Dry works pretty good too and you won't be all pink from the lotion

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • GaBGE
    GaBGE Posts: 556
    Options
    Go to the doctor and get a shot. It will start to dry it up overnight.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    I know you are asking about after the rash has broken out, but in the future if you think you have been exposed here is a crude solution that works. As a kid I would see my grandfather rip PI and PO out along the fence rows of his cottage on a lake using just his bare hands. As soon as he was done he would wash his hands and arms in plain old gasoline! Over the years I have done the same and I know many guys who swear by that method as well!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    From wiki:

Before urushiol has been absorbed by the skin it can be removed with soap and water. However, time is of great importance as 50% of urushiol can be absorbed within 10 minutes. Once urushiol has penetrated into the skin, attempting to remove with water is inefficient.

Also, no small percentage of the population is immune to urushiol.  Poison ivy grows all over our neighborhood and some people have horrific reactions, others never have one.
    Options
    Along a similar thought as @RRP
    I have found rubbing the affected area with lacquer thinner takes the PI oils out.
    Arlington, TX  1 large, 1 medium, 1 Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone
  • billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    Options
    Check amazon for tecnu.
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • TUTTLE871
    TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316
    edited May 2014
    Options
    Mineral Spirts worked for me for a while. Then a steroid shot and a cortisone as well.

I had it bad.

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.