Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rib rack or flat cooked baby backs

Options
Never used a rib rack yet( one of my first accessories I got when I bought my BGE).
I usually cook three racks of baby back ribs, and I cut them in half so the six half racks of baby back ribs pretty much take up the entire grid of the BGE.
My past ribs have been very good but I notice that some of the ribs not over the place setter get cooked more.
What way do you think is best?

Comments

• TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Options
    Just curious... why do you cut them in half.

To prevent over cooking put some foil under the areas of the ribs that overhang you plate setter.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options

Just curious... why do you cut them in half.

To prevent over cooking put some foil under the areas of the ribs that overhang you plate setter.
    Habit I guess now. Seemed like 3 racks of ribs uncut would not fit inside my BGE? Cutting them in half allowed me to work all on the grill barely.
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Options
    Another option would be to create a second cooking level.

Nothing wrong with cutting them... I was just curious as to why.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    they look better cooked flat but if im cooking more than 2 racks i cook them vertical in a rack. they seem to cook better standing since i can flip them and rotate them but the appearance is not the same. i cook ribs mostly raised direct
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited May 2014
    Options
    For two or more racks of ribs, I use rib rack and I always flip my ribs. The dome reflects the heat and the sides close to the dome cook faster than the side next to the grid. 
    Most of the time I cut my racks in half as well, just easier to handle and for many cooks, just SWMBO and myself, 1/2 rack is just fine. 
    Lately, have started to take a couple of ribs off each end of the three racks in the Costco St Louis package. I use those for Asian ribs, cooked individually. The result is a shorter 9 rib rack which fits my MBGE, no overhang. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!