Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What's your favorite commercial rub?

Options

Comments

• Monty77
    Monty77 Posts: 667
    Options
    A heavy user of Dizzy Pig as well, own them all except for Red Eye, just not a coffee guy!  Cow lick and Swamp Venom are my favs! 
    Large BGE 2011, XL BGE 2015, Mini Max 2015, and member of the "North of the Border Smokin Squad" Canadian Outdoor Chef from London, Ontario, Canada

https://www.flickr.com/photos/monty77/

• Tspud1
    Tspud1 Posts: 1,486
    Options
    Blues Hog
    Isn't that a sauce?

• jerryb78
    jerryb78 Posts: 215
    Options
    I just tried Bad Byron's for the first time this week. Previously I've always made my own. I enjoyed it but the pepper made it a little on the spicy side for my kids.
    LBGE
    Menasha, WI
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,030
    edited May 2014
    Options
    Favorite is Dipstix Mary's Favorite Rub

Also like Dizzy products a little :))
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • WeberWho
    edited May 2014
    Options
    Tspud1 said:

Blues Hog

Isn't that a sauce?

*They make rubs along with bbq sauce

"The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • corey24
    corey24 Posts: 386
    Options

Chicken: Ployboys Yardbird

Pork: John Henry's Pecan Rub & Ployboys Yard Bird

All Purpose: Dizzy Pig

Honorable Mention: Bad Byron's

XL Egg Owner Since Dec 2013 - Louisiana

• JerseyTex
    JerseyTex Posts: 53
    Options

Emerils Rib Rub on any Pork. Beef I make my own.

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Anyone try this?  Wonder if they have a sauce version.

Options
    WeberWho? said:
    Favorite is Dipstix Mary's Favorite Rub Also like Dizzy products a little :))
    Homie,
    Your Geotagging is turned on, FYI.
  • WeberWho
    Options

WeberWho? said:

Favorite is Dipstix Mary's Favorite Rub

Also like Dizzy products a little :))

Homie,

@Eggcelsior‌

Help a homie out. What is Geotagging and how do I turn it off?

Minnesota
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    edited May 2014
    Options
    WeberWho? said:
    WeberWho? said:
    Favorite is Dipstix Mary's Favorite Rub Also like Dizzy products a little :))
    Homie,
    @Eggcelsior‌ Help a homie out. What is Geotagging and how do I turn it off?
    On your HTC, go to the camera settings and turn "Geo-tag photos" off.

EDIT: Geo-tagging or GPS data is where the location of your picture(GPS coordinates) gets embedded in the photo data(EXIF). I have an EXIF viewer that shows this if activated, so I always recommend people turn it off if they don't want there location broadcast to the internet.
  • WeberWho
    Options
    @Eggcelsior‌
    Thanks for letting me know. Very much appreciated! I went into the camera settings and the photo tag is off. The Dizzy Pig rub shot was from my old phone. I maybe had it on with my old phone and the reason why it's giving out coordinates?

Minnesota
  • Eggcelsior
    Options
    WeberWho? said:
    @Eggcelsior‌ Thanks for letting me know. Very much appreciated! I went into the camera settings and the photo tag is off. The Dizzy Pig rub shot was from my old phone. I maybe had it on with my old phone and the reason why it's giving out coordinates?
    Yup. Once it's there, it's there. Technology!
  • beteez
    beteez Posts: 548
    Options
    Head Country, Oak Ridge Secret Weapon, Willies Hog Dust
  • WeberWho
    Options
    @Eggcelsior‌
    When posting older phone pics I'll have to take a screen shot of it and upload it that way. Shouldn't show any personal information that way I would imagine. Thanks again

Minnesota
  • KenfromMI
    KenfromMI Posts: 742
    Options
    I've been slow BBQ'ng for about 9 years now and have to say I have never purchased a store bought rub. I've been wanting to try Slap Yo Daddys regular and hot though. Now you guys have me wanting to try Dizzy Pig too. I always keep a batch of Slap Yo Daddy's All Purpose from his website that I make mixed with Karen Putnams that I make from her book 50/50 mix. Easy simple ingredients I think just about everyone has in their pantries at any given time except for Jalapena powder in Putnams. 
    Dearborn MI
  • Eggcelsior
    Options
    @weberwho?

There are phone apps that let you "scrub" data by making a copy of the photo with EXIF removed.
  • Wylecyot
    Wylecyot Posts: 203
    Options
    Special ****.  No kidding, that's the name of it.  They have different rubs for beef, chicken, BBQ sauce, dipping sauce for veggies, etc.  If I recall correctly they are located in Arizona. Check it out http://www.specialshit.com/products/index.html
    Large BGE, Medium BGE, Kamado Joe Jr, 36" Blackstone Griddle Blackstone Tailgater and Roccbox owner/operator from Los Angeles
  • jllbms
    jllbms Posts: 381
    Options
    Uncle William's from Diamondhead, MS.
    Kemah, TX
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    I like Dizzy Pig as well for a lot of things but for pork I like Fat Boys Cow Girl Ride um rub and for Chicken John Henry's Texas chicken tickler. 

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited May 2014
    Options
    None.  Anymore I'd rather use Kerrygold ghee, kosher, and cracked black post cook for grass fed beef or heritage pork.  Or APL's kosher, cracked black, chipotle instead of flavorless cayenne, and gran garlic.  Plowboys was a favorite at one time.  Most DP rubs are pretty good, heavy on the turbinado, so that is no longer an option.  
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• grEGGorys
    grEGGorys Posts: 168
    Options
    Butch's (from Dumas, Arkansas)
    Gulf Coast FL
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    grEGGorys said:

Butch's (from Dumas, Arkansas)

Formerly Dude's?

Little Rock, AR

• KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Options
    Okay, okay, okay...I'm sick of hearing about Dizzy Pig!  I just ordered myself some all purpose Dizzy Pig and some swamp venom.  :D

I'm going to do some ribs this weekend and will throw on the Dizzy Pig with a bit of brown sugar to sweeten it up.

THEN!  When the ribs come off, on goes a mess of buffalo wings with a hearty coating of Swamp Venom.

Results to be posted on Memorial Day...
    LBGE/Maryland
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    Options
    When not making my own, use some of the Dizzy products, Cluck & Squeal All Purpose and my most go to is Aw **** ( which plays well with other rubs including Mickey's) . @Wylecyot‌ The Big **** Ranch, maker of all the **** products is located here in Texas
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Don_Piero
    Don_Piero Posts: 97
    Options
    I'm a huge fan of Bad Byron's Butt Rub. It's savory, with a slight kick to it. 
    I'm a fan as well, plus its available in Toronto where the pickings are slim.
    Piero from South Etobicoke in Toronto and sometimes Pinellas Park, St.Petersburg, XL-BGE
  • LBC Dawg
    LBC Dawg Posts: 116
    Options
    Dizzy Dust and Lamberts Sweet Rub o Mine are my 2 favorites
  • GATABITES
    GATABITES Posts: 1,260
    Options
    I dont see it mentioned much here: 

Killer Hogs BBQ rub - it's great on Ribs
    XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Baltimore, MD
  • dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053
    Options
    Dizzy Pig course Dizzy Dust is fantastic on just about everything.  Great crust, great taste, never any complaints - just praise.

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• avibug
    avibug Posts: 172
    Options
    Great rub from local spice shop (the Spice House) called Milwaukee Iron Seasoning.  I've been using it a lot on steaks, and used it on my brisket this past weekend.  

For those who are avoiding salt, their website breaks out all the salt-free options.