Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Stuffed Peppers on the Mini BGE

Options
Dyal_SC
Dyal_SC Posts: 6,056

These turned out pretty good!  The peppers were parboiled for about 3 minutes before stuffing them with ground beef, onions, garlic, brown rice, tomato sauce, a spicy BBQ rub, tomatoes, corn and okra.  Finished them off with some grated mozzarella.  Grilled them indirectly on the Mini BGE at around a 350 deg f dome temp for 30 minutes.  Had to take the dome thermometer out to get them to fit.image

Comments

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Those look gooey and delicious!

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    I would tear those up. Looks great @dyal_sc

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Jaime_Doug
    Jaime_Doug Posts: 57
    Options
    Nice. Jaime loves those. Might hv to try on mine.
    Doug/Jaime in Tucker, GA   Could almost walk to BGE Mothership  LBGE
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Oh ya! Those look delish! Yet one more item to roll outta the LBGE. Very nice indeed.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Dyal_SC said:

The peppers were parboiled for about 3 minutes

Just curious my friend why the parboil? I have never tried that. Does it yield a better result for you? I know you have a reason and just wondering would you mind sharing. Looks outstanding my friend.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Dyal_SC
    Options
    Thx guys! @SGH, the recipe I was using as a guide said to do it that way. I've only cooked these once or twice before, and I don't remember parboiling the in the past either. They were good this time though with a nice texture. Can't remember how they would compare.
  • SteveWPBFL
    SteveWPBFL Posts: 1,327
    Options
    Isn't one reason that 'we' parboil peppers is to remove the 'skin'? 
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    They look good and I wish I could like them, but I abhor green peppers. maybe I should try them with orange or yellow. Those I can stand.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Good to see that mini is still in the starting lineup. Nice post!
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Love stuffed peppers!  These look awesome my friend! 
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • plumbfir01
    plumbfir01 Posts: 725
    Options
    very nice sir. We should try and setup a get together in columbia area. all the sc eggers can get together. Id like to meet you guys as i have only met 4runner. Just a thought. 
    Beaufort, SC
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Griffin said:

They look good and I wish I could like them, but I abhor green peppers. maybe I should try them with orange or yellow. Those I can stand.

Uh, they are all the same thing, yo.
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Fred19Flintstone Posts: 8,168
    Options
    A true Texan would never admit to disliking any pepper. Just sayin'
    Flint, Michigan
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    Those look very tasty!

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • Griffin
    Options

Uh, they aren't, yo. Well, sorta. Green bell peppers have not matured and ripened as much. They are bitter, where as red have matured the furthest and are the sweetest. Orange and yellow fall somewhere in between. Might not be a big difference to some, but its enough for me distinguish and I can not stand green while I actually enjoy reds.

@Fred19Flintstone I don't consider bell peppers a pepper as they land more on the "sweet" side and not on the "spicy" side. ;)

Rowlett, Texas

• Fred19Flintstone
    Fred19Flintstone Posts: 8,168
    Options
    I didn't know that about the ripeness (if that's a word). It makes sense though because I bet it's difficult for consumers to tell at the market. Green is green. Southern farmers perhaps harvest early to get the next crop in. Up here in the north, there is only one growing season so the peppers mature a little more. Total guesswork here.
    Flint, Michigan
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    Griffin said:

Uh, they aren't, yo. Well, sorta. Green bell peppers have not matured and ripened as much. They are bitter, where as red have matured the furthest and are the sweetest. Orange and yellow fall somewhere in between. Might not be a big difference to some, but its enough for me distinguish and I can not stand green while I actually enjoy reds.

@Fred19Flintstone I don't consider bell peppers a pepper as they land more on the "sweet" side and not on the "spicy" side. ;)

for me its the opposite, red peppers add color to the plate but are watery and close to flavorless where green has the flavor component and are useful to step up the taste of the dish
    :))
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • SoCal_Griller
    SoCal_Griller Posts: 516
    Options
    I have grown bell peppers and left them on long enough for them to turn red.  But I have never seen them in the yellow or orange stage.  

I like all peppers, but my wife will not eat the green ones, any other color and she is good.

Simi Valley, California
    LBGE, PBC, Annova, SMOBot
  • jfm0830
    jfm0830 Posts: 987
    Options
    Nicely done Dyal! That is positively decadent looking.

Jim
    3 LBGE & More Eggcessories than I care to think about.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Griffin said:

That's weird that they are bitter to you. Are you one of those no-cilantro miscreants?
    ;)
  • Dyal_SC
    Options
    Thanks, y'all! @Griffin, I have red ones, green ones and yellow ones planted. So I got you covered. ;)@plumbfir01‌ , that sounds like a plan. A few of us on the forum met several months back at a store cook at Jack Oliver's Pools and Spas. You should come to the Hiawassee eggfest next weekend!
  • plumbfir01
    plumbfir01 Posts: 725
    Options
    Dyal_SC said:
    Thanks, y'all! @Griffin, I have red ones, green ones and yellow ones planted. So I got you covered. ;)@plumbfir01‌ , that sounds like a plan. A few of us on the forum met several months back at a store cook at Jack Oliver's Pools and Spas. You should come to the Hiawassee eggfest next weekend!
    Im thinking about doing a day trip and coming to get a demo egg. Just not sure about L vs XL. I cant make my mind up still
    Beaufort, SC
  • dagriller
    dagriller Posts: 74
    Options
    Looks tasty, I need to try those.
    LBGE Johns Creek, GA
  • Logger
    Logger Posts: 309
    Options
    Definitely on my list to do.
    OKC area  XL - Medium Eggs
  • Griffin
    Options

@Eggcelsior Nopr. Love me some cilantro. Got some planted in the garden right now. I didn't inherit that gene.

Dyal I appreciate that. I'll be up in two shakes. ;)

Rowlett, Texas