Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Anova on Kickstarter

Options
DMW
DMW Posts: 13,832
New Anova in development. It's up on Kickstarter, expecting Oct availability.

They/Them
Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker

Comments

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Saw this as well, quite surprised. Thought they would fund internally. 
    The updates in version 2 seem impressive. The deep pot is not an issue for me as I use cheapie stock pots anyway. I do like the design allowing the circulator to "spin" in the clamp. I've set mine up a couple of times with the water flow pointed at the pot - circulation was not so good. The bluetooth is nice, but for me not a need to have. Looks like a much less costly display (LED) - probably because the bluetooth allows use of smart phones. 
    Might just need to get a second one......
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    The range of bluetooth makes it almost worthless, IMO.  Basically you have a detachable controller, and you have to have your phone in the vicinity to use it.

Wifi would be a much more useful means of connectivity, IMO. 

That said, the kickstarter price is very good.  I may have to get one.
    NOLA
  • DMW
    edited May 2014
    Options
    buzd504 said:
    The range of bluetooth makes it almost worthless, IMO.  Basically you have a detachable controller, and you have to have your phone in the vicinity to use it.

Wifi would be a much more useful means of connectivity, IMO. 

That said, the kickstarter price is very good.  I may have to get one.
    The way I understood it, Bluetooth isn't required, but a convenience to set cook temps from the iPhone. You can lookup the food type and it sends the temp to the Anova. You can manually set the temp with the scroll wheel on the front. At least I hope that's how it works, I just ordered one. :)
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,535
    Options
    @DMW - I'm new to this KS thing.  $99 pledge was gone, $129 was depleting fast, so I thought I'd jump in and asked questions later.  Now what, do I get it for the $130 I pledged, i.e. no more payment?
    canuckland
  • Canugghead
    Options
    @pantsypants, are you watching this, $129 pledge almost gone ...
    canuckland
  • DMW
    edited May 2014
    Options
    @Canugghead That's my understanding. You don't get it until Oct timeframe, and this is an estimate. They have already surpassed their $100K goal, so that means they have reached their minimum to make it happen. There are risks to the timeline, which is noted on their KS page.

Now for the wait...

Also, I don't think they charge your CC until it ships, but I could be wrong on that. I think it's just a pledge until it ships, backed by your CC.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• Canugghead
    Options
    Woohoo ... wish I got on the $99 one, @DMW did you get the $129 too?  
    Free shipping too!  If I were to order Anova 1 now, shipping alone to GWN is $40?  Don't mind the wait, already have a DIY SV rig.
    canuckland
  • pantsypants
    pantsypants Posts: 1,191
    Options
    me = 129 !!

So when do they charge me ? ?
    Toronto
  • Canugghead
    edited May 2014
    Options
    I think it says June somewhere.

edit: June 17 when the project ends?
    canuckland
  • pantsypants
    Options
    129 = over
    Toronto
  • DMW
    Options
    Yep, I got in at $129 as well.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• pantsypants
    Options
    now we wait , I guess I will be eating **** uncooked foods until then ,
    Toronto
  • Canugghead
    Options
    you can rent mine!
    canuckland
  • Angus1978
    Angus1978 Posts: 390
    Options
    I think I'll keep an eye out for some idiot to drop out of his 99 dollar slot and hope.  I love my Anova, but I kinda want that adjustable clamp.   
    LBGE and Primo XL Plano TX All right all right alllll riight
  • Grillmagic
    Grillmagic Posts: 1,600
    Options
    I just ordered a Sous vide demi today for 199.00 did I buy the wrong one?
    Charlotte, Michigan XL BGE
  • terry_b
    terry_b Posts: 68
    Options
    I'm probably over-paranoid, but aren't there nasty chemicals released from the plastic in the higher temps?
  • plumbfir01
    plumbfir01 Posts: 725
    Options
    terry_b said:
    I'm probably over-paranoid, but aren't there nasty chemicals released from the plastic in the higher temps?
    yes, buy the bpa free bags or do what i normally do for smaller cuts and get the lekue silicone bags. they rock!

Beaufort, SC
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    @Grillmagic‌, the demi has limited space whereas the Anova or similar units are limited by the vessel you use(to a certain volume of water).
  • Grillmagic
    Grillmagic Posts: 1,600
    Options
    @Grillmagic‌, the demi has limited space whereas the Anova or similar units are limited by the vessel you use(to a certain volume of water).
    Thanks, hopefully I can do 6/8 steaks  
    Charlotte, Michigan XL BGE
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    terry_b said:
    That worries me a bit as well.  Zip-loc explicitly states that you shouldn't cook in their bags but they are likely just being cautious.  As long as you are not cooking about 180 or so they are probably fine.  However, I still like to use foodsaver bags for additional margin of error.  I also feel like it is safer to submerge the entire bag.  It bugs me the way they have the top of the bag sticking out.  It seems you could have raw meat juice on the top of the bag that never got cooked.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    :-? Hmmm. Sounds like a good deal. And cheaper then the old version with updates. I might have to jump on that. I'll be keeping an eye on it and ponder it.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings