Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Remedial Fire Starting Question

Options
Hi everyone,

I've been using my egg for about a year. I've had some great successes with things like ribs but my two long and slow cooks (pork butts) have not really gone as planned. Not complete disasters, but they didn't meet my expectations.  

With that said, I started thinking about how I start a fire and add my wood hunks. What do y'all do to get the egg to 225 or 230 with good clean smoke?

Here is my routine: For a long and slow cook I clean the egg out pretty good and fill lump to the fire ring. I don't dump the lump in  there. I try to place good pieces in. I bury 1 or 2 smaller pieces of wood in with the lump.

When I start my fire, I use two Weber parrafin cubes and let it burn lid open for 10-15 minutes. That normally gets a good fire going. At that point, I will close my bottom damper to about 1" and my daisy wheel will be be dialed in so the holes are half closed. I put in the rest of my wood hunks (unsoaked), my plate setter, and grid. I will let that burn for 30 minutes or so until my dome temp reads 250 (or whatever I want) and then put my meat on.

Here is what happens next: White smoke generally continues to pour out of the top for about 2 more hours from what I can tell. Also, my dome temp crawls up to 300 and stays there for who knows how long. I can't hardly get it down from there. Over time it will go back down to 250 but I am not sure how long that takes. 

I'm asking because I kind of botched a pork butt this weekend. It was way to smokey with plenty of unedible bark. Also, the thing cooked in half the time I was expecting and was basically a little dry.It basically looked like a meteor.

Any pointers from the group?
Lubbock, TX
Large BGE

Comments

• TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Options
    1/2 hour is probably not long enough to get everything heated up and stabalized to your desired temp.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    "Too smokey" is something that needs to be broken down.

If it is too much of a good thing, that is simple.  Less smoke.

If it is bad smoke, unpalatable, chemical tasting, then it is your starter cubes not being fully burnt off.  This would also explain the billowing whit smoke.

For small fires, use only one starter cube.  You don't need to gt a big fire going, because then you'll have to choke it back.  Get a good 250-degree fire going, that's all.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Copia ciborum subtilitas impeditur

Seneca Falls, NY

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,827
    Options
    you want to stabilize temps before putting all that cold stuff in and then dont touch it after the meat is on for several hours. what your doing is chasing a false reading off your gage thats too close to cold objects like the butt and setter
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    What @SenecaTheYounger said.  Also, I would add your wood chunks at the same time as your lump.  That way you can spread the wood throughout the lump (instead of only on top), and if there are any VoCs or moisture or anything else on the wood, it will have a chance to burn off as the fire comes to temperature.
    NOLA
  • Caymanite
    Caymanite Posts: 57
    Options
    I am curious to see responses on this as I experienced the exact same thing as the OP. Only difference was that I had to take out some applewood chunks before I started cooking as it looked like my neighborhood was burning down with the amount of white smoke 5 chunks were producing.
    Large BGE - Jupiter, FL
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Also, if you are using raw wood chunks you are going to get white smoke. It isn't charcoal. Smell the smoke coming off and if it smells good it will generally taste good. I find that one or two decent sized chunks is plenty.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• wpendlegg
    wpendlegg Posts: 141
    Options
    How long do you let it stabilize before putting your equipment in? Or do you do it all at once? And then after that, how long until you put the meat on?
    Lubbock, TX
    Large BGE
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    I rarely use more than 2 wood chunks.  It might be that we don't like our food as smokey as others.  I clean out the ash every third or fourth cook. When I add lump, I just dump it in and do not spend any time stacking it.  I light with alcohol because it is quick and doesn't add any smell to the charcoal. I used to use the wax starter cubes but hated their odor.

I rarely have to wait more than a half hour for the smoke to clear up.  The temperature is usually fairly well stabilized by then and a few tweaks usually gets it to where I want it.

A 250 dome temperature is about as low as you can go and still keep the charcoal lit. At 250, the vents are only open 1/4 inch.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,827
    Options
    when it smells like a clean burning fire your good to go, dont try and time it
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Searat
    Searat Posts: 80
    Options
    wpendlegg I do it slightly differently. First, I use a wad of new paper. Second, once I get a little fire going, I close the lid with NO daisy wheel and bottom vent wide open. The temperature climb starts slow which is ugly smelly smoke. I'll let it go up to about 400 before closing the bottom vent to 1 to 3/4 in and put the daisy wheel on. Next I open and put in the plate setter, raised pan with apple juice, and CI in and close the lid. With all the cold items going in, this usually drops the temp to 240 give or take 10 deg. Once down to about 240, I'll put the butts on for that slow journey. Give it and try and let me know what you thing. (Note I'm in SoCal so I'm not having to heat my BGE as much as some of the colder weather folks so results may vary.)
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,869
    Options

"If it is bad smoke, unpalatable, chemical tasting, then it is your starter cubes not being fully burnt off. This would also explain the billowing whit smoke."

The starter cube lasts over 2.5 hours?

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• SenecaTheYounger
    SenecaTheYounger Posts: 368
    edited May 2014
    Options
    If a starter cube loses the flame, and is only smoldering, it can smoke a very long time.  If it is burning well, it does not send off billowing smoke.

Often, a starter cube is lit and burning cleanly, but then the dome is dropped shut and vents choked. Then the starter cube will go out, and smolder.

Additionally, he said puts in a full load of new charcoal, but only allows it to burn clean for a half hour.  The draft at 250 is not enough to get rid of the VOCs from a fresh load of lump.

If you have old lump, it can smoke cleanly after a short time, sure, because it has already burnt off previously.

His combination of snuffed starter cubes and a full load of fresh charcoal are likely the reason for the white billowing smoke so soon into the cook, and especially since it occurs the moment he hits 250 and drops the lid shut.  If not that, then what?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Copia ciborum subtilitas impeditur

Seneca Falls, NY

• alynd
    alynd Posts: 130
    Options
    does anyone have that picture someone drew a few years ago showing the proper way to mix the chunks in with the lump?
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
  • stevesails
    stevesails Posts: 990
    Options

I would just use paper towel with olive oil,  or I like the weed burner to start it.   let it come to temp with all the stuff in it you are going to use,   you are probably using too many chucks of wood,  you really don't need to soak them ( that may be your white smoke.)  and don't put any food on until the smoke is clean and is just heat coming out the top. 

XL   Walled Lake, MI

• canman
    canman Posts: 52
    Options
    I normally use an electric starter, but I got distracted one time and fried it. I used a chimney qiuck charcoal starter with a handful of smaller chunks and it worked very well. I always get my temp dialed in before putting the platesetter and wood on. Once my temp is at 200-250 maintained, then I add wood chunks, platesetter and Pork Butt. The temp drops a little, but comes back within 10-15 minutes. I also pan and foil it after about 5 hours and finish it covered because I like the drippings for reheating.
    Tullahoma, Tennessee.
  • SenorHuevo
    SenorHuevo Posts: 40
    Options
    I don't get the appeal of starter cubes -- sure, for a fireplace, but not for food! 

I'm an electric starter guy (100% of the time it works every time).  Some seem jazzed about the Looft lighter (although those are rather spendy).  Haven't tried it, but oil and paper towel seem like a popular solution and one that would likely be devoid of too many chemicals. 
    I will never cook inside again.
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    What kind of lump? When I used Cowboy lump, everything I cooked had a rancid smoke taste no matter how long I let the VOC's burn off. It was my second and third bag of lump and I started regretting my purchase of the egg. Switched lump and all was great.
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • Foghorn
    Options

"His combination of snuffed starter cubes and a full load of fresh charcoal are likely the reason for the white billowing smoke so soon into the cook, and especially since it occurs the moment he hits 250 and drops the lid shut. If not that, then what?"

I was thinking the full load of fresh charcoal that didn't get a chance to burn off VOCs was probably the culprit.  Your explanation about the snuffed starter cube has some merit as well - depending on how long the fire burns before the lid is shut.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• wpendlegg
    wpendlegg Posts: 141
    Options
    I'm using Royal Oak. And for my smoking wood, I am using post oak. I think I put in too much, though.

After looking at everyone's comments I probably have a few things I could change.
    1. Try one starter cube
    2. Use less wood; maybe 2 hunks, not 4 like I did.
    3. Give fire more time to stabilize and for VOCs to burn off
    4. Try putting equipment in earlier
    5. Control the fire earlier. Hot fire + cold equipment makes the dome read 250 even though that may not be true. It just may be what the two equal out to be.at that time
    I can tell everyone has their own way of doing things, but about how long does it take you to get an egg with fresh lump stabilized at 250 with a good clean fire? Surely this isn't like a 2 hour process, right?
    Lubbock, TX
    Large BGE
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    buzd504 said:

This one?

That is so awesome.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Foghorn
    Options

"I can tell everyone has their own way of doing things, but about how long does it take you to get an egg with fresh lump stabilized at 250 with a good clean fire? Surely this isn't like a 2 hour process, right?"

The fastest I can do it is about an hour if I use multiple starter cubes.  I'll describe that process but I usually use one cube and it takes about 90 minutes.  I just add lump to whatever is already there.  I use Rutland starter cubes and if I'm in a hurry I'll use up to 4.  I close the lid shortly after lighting but leave the vents wide open and set the alarm on my phone for 30 minutes.  In 30 minutes the egg is usually somewhere in the 400 - 600 degree range and the starter cubes have long burned away.  Keep in mind that this temperature is from the direct heat but the ceramic has not necessarily warmed up that much.  Then I add the platesetter, drip pan, and grate and shut the top and bottom vents to about 1/4" and go back to prepping the food.  30 minutes later the egg is somewhere between 225 and 275 and I declare victory and put the meat on.

San Antonio, TX

• gpsegg
    gpsegg Posts: 427
    Options
    On low and slows , I use one Rutland starter cube. Mix my wood with the lump and light. Once cube has no more flame (about 10 minutes) I put in indirect set up and close the lid leaving the daisy wheel off and the bottom vent wide open. As it gets to about 200, I add daisy wheel open  and close vent some. I gradually get wheel closed (petals open) and bottom about 1/2 inch. Then,  petals 1/2 open. get 250 for about 15 minutes and put on meat (at about 45 minute mark from lighting) . Smoke is now clean, wispy and good smelling.
    George
    Palm Beach Gardens, Fl and Blairsville, Ga.
  • jllbms
    jllbms Posts: 381
    Options
    Seems that I'm the only one on this forum to do so, but I use the Minion method. http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/a/minion-method-explained-with-tutorial This works well for me. Anyone else? John
    Kemah, TX
  • stevesails
    stevesails Posts: 990
    Options
    I use a weed burner and have an XL. 250 is about a half hours. I use royal oak. I like using leftover Lump. Tonight I was at 500 dome. In 15 minutes with lump left over from last pizza cook.
    XL   Walled Lake, MI

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    When I used to stuff a starter cube in the lump, leaving the dome open for 15 minutes until the cube completely burned seemed to help speed things up.  Close dome and catch temp on the way up to target.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Auburntgr
    Auburntgr Posts: 78
    Options
    I am always confused and I guess feel a little lucky on my results with starting the egg compared to some of the challenges I read about with starting the egg. Full disclosure here as I do have a medium but I wouldn't believe it would be a huge difference. I usually just dump the lump in and light a small paper towel with some oil on it to start the egg. I lay a couple pieces over the towel like a bridge and will be cooking in a half hour or no more than an hour for clear smoke. I have jump the gun before letting the smoke to clear leaving a lingering chemical taste but mostly I have had good luck with BGE lump.
    Franklin, TN Medium and large Green Egg
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    jllbms said:
    Seems that I'm the only one on this forum to do so, but I use the Minion method. http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/a/minion-method-explained-with-tutorial This works well for me. Anyone else? John
    A great technique stressing the importance of catching the joules on the way up.  Have used his method faithfully for over a decade. Every kettle and WSM setup is started this way.  Add more lit charcoal in windy or cold conditions.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• jfm0830
    jfm0830 Posts: 987
    edited May 2014
    Options
    My initial thoughts when I read this post were:

First: It could be a problem with the charcoal being used. I happen to use Wicked Good Weekend Warrior lump and one of the things I like about it is it quite smoke neutral. I have a clean burning fire in 30 minutes or less. If I am baking. I use no smoke wood and the WGWW doesn't really impart a smoke flavor on the baked goods. It also sounds like way too much wood. I have found one or two chunks or a couple palm fulls of woodchips is more than enough. If I am doing low and slow, then I add several wood chunks or several handfuls of woodchips every couple hours. With the tight seal and insulating qualities of the BGE you don't need a lot of wood to get a good smoke flavor.

Second: I discovered the hard way couple months ago you really don't want to measure the temperature of anything at the dome level. I started having trouble where baked items that I'd made a year ago, which came out great, we're suddenly coming out with burned bottoms and undercooked tops. Same set up, same gear, same recipe, same dome temperature… Everything was the same and suddenly I was having a problem. To say I was mystified was an understatement. What I finally discovered is there can be a huge variation between the dome temperature and the grate level temperature. The outside air temperature affects this so it is not a constant variation either. Actually I already knew this because it was a rule of thumb with any other grill or smoker I'd owned. I never understood when I got my Big Green Egg, why people seemed to rely on the dome thermometer, because unless you're cooking at the dome level that temp is totally irrelevant. But I went with the flow-new type grill new way to think. Actually no as it turned out. I finally did a cook where I put the grate probe for my Maverick ET-733 at my cooking level and I soon found out what my issue was. There was a huge variation between the grate level temperature and the dome. The year before I was cooking in air temperatures that were 30 to 40° warmer than this year. With the extreme cold this year I was facing a situation where the ceramics up in the dome area were not warming up as fast as the year before. So while I thought I was cooking at 350° I was cooking at 450 or more. As soon as I started measuring all of my cooking temperatures at the grate level (where I was cooking at), everything started coming out perfect again. So I would suggest for your low and slows that you put a grate level probe or an oven thermometer right on the grill grate where you're putting your food. Go by this and it really doesn't matter what the dome thermometer says.

Third: When I'm shooting for a temperature of 225 for something cooking at the felt line such as you get using the platesetter, you need to be very careful not to overshoot your temperatures. At that level I find my daisywheel is cracked open just a hair and the lower draft door only needs to be open about an eighth of an inch. You simply don't want to overshoot your temperatures, because it is next to impossible to drive them back down to that level. Plus you'll be fighting with them the rest of the cook. Don't ask me how I know this. So what I do, is when I am within about 50° of 225 I put the metal cap on and shut it and the lower draft door down to about double the settings I will end using to hold 225. Then when I am within about 10° or 225 I shut them down to the final settings I use. After that I keep a very close eye on the temps to make sure they're not drifting up. For me I find this takes about 30 minutes. I find it is beneficial to let the Egg and all the ceramics and platesetter etc. stabilize at that temperature. I keep a close eye on things to make sure it's not drifting up. The extra half hour or so I take to make sure my Egg is stable pays off long-term with a more stable cook.

Two other thoughts: First: When I am doing a low and slow, I don't do a thorough cleaning out of my Egg. I clean out the ash drop area and I do swirl the charcoal around, but that is it. If things are a little clogged, that is not the end of the world when you are cooking at about the lowest temperature the Egg can do. When I'm doing a cook over 400° I do a thorough cleaning.

Second: Be very mindful of how long you're keeping the lid open. Minimize the amount of time the lid is open. In cold weather most people just think: "Oh no I'm letting cold air in and I'm driving my temperatures down". While this is true in the short run, in the long run you've just let in a ton of combustion air. Think of the tiny amount of air you're letting him via your dampers, versus the volume of air you just let in opening the lid. When your Egg recovers back to 225 it may just keep right on going to higher temperatures. And since your dampers are almost closed to begin with, you will have a hard time getting high temps back down. One of the things I like about my Adjustable Rig is you are able to remove the whole Rig from the Egg, together with the one, two, or three shelves of food you are cooking. You're able to open the lid quickly, removed the AR and get the lid closed. Then you can focus on basting, turning or whatever it is you need to do to your food. Then you open the lid and get everything back on in one quick operation. But just be real careful when doing low and slow to minimize the time the lid is open.

My 2 cents worth, learned at the school of hard knocks. Good luck!
    Jim
    3 LBGE & More Eggcessories than I care to think about.
  • dstearn
    dstearn Posts: 1,702
    Options
    I use one starter cube, let it burn for 5 minutes and then close the egg up, attachec the pit viper in the bottom vent and let the Digi Q ramp up the temp. That seems to keep the egg stable. After reaching the desired temp I add the wood and placesetter and let it sit for 30 mins before adding the meat,