Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

A big thanks to Mr. Tom Chamberlain (RustyRooster on the "other" forum)

Options
Chris_Wang
Chris_Wang Posts: 1,254
edited May 2014 in EggHead Forum
I had the privilege of meeting Mr. Chamberlain today. He saw my earlier post about stopping by my office and saying hi and he took me up on it.

He sat in my office for about 10 minutes or so and shared some really funny stories...

How he wound up on Bobby Q's comp team, how his lemon meringue made a lady jealous, and talked about some cobblers that were to die for (particularity one that had cherries, devils pound cake, chocolate chips, etc).

Rusty Rooster, thanks for stopping by. Glad to not only meet a legendary egger from the North GA Eggers, but also a fellow insurance agent.

I will see you at Eggtoberfest and at Hiawassee in the future.

Ball Ground, GA

ATL Sports Homer

Comments

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Tom never got an approval on this site so he is not going to respond here.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Spring Hen
    Spring Hen Posts: 1,578
    Options
    It was your lucky day, Chris.  Tom is one of the nicest guys around and his wife, Karen, is just as nice.  His cobbler may be good but don't miss tasting their hash brown cups in Hiawassee if they make them. Look forward to seeing you again in Georgia.
    Judy
    Covington, Louisiana USA
  • Durangler
    Durangler Posts: 1,122
    Options
    Why would someone never get an approval?
    Very curious.  :-?  :-/
    XL BGE, 22" Weber Red Head, Fiesta Gasser .... Peoria,AZ
  • nolan8v
    nolan8v Posts: 400
    Options
    Durangler Posts: 88
    Very curious.    

I'm curious as well as to why there are two different sites... only if it does not open Pandora's box.
    "You can live in any city in America, but New Orleans is the only city that lives in you."
    Chris Rose 

• Little Steven
    edited May 2014
    Options
    The other forum was not associated directly with BGE Corp although they did contribute the operating costs (I am told). When the new ownership came in they decided to open this forum. They were supposed to have retained the wife of the original forum as a moderator, don't know if that happened. A lot of people got upset that they were essentially shutting down the old forum and since that time it has been funded by donations from members and eggfest hosts. There are several folks who simply will not come on this forum. Tom told me that he was never able to get approved on this forum. Many of us were "Grandfathered" in here and did not have to create accounts. There is a great deal of bad blood concerning this and some are very passionate about it. RRP could probably fill in some blanks if he reads this.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Durangler
    Durangler Posts: 1,122
    Options
    Hmmm..... interesting.
    XL BGE, 22" Weber Red Head, Fiesta Gasser .... Peoria,AZ
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    This Internet is serious business.
  • Little Steven
    Options
    I tried to make that as factual as possible and expressed no opinions of my own just to be clear

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• nolan8v
    nolan8v Posts: 400
    Options
    Little Steven:

Understood and greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    "You can live in any city in America, but New Orleans is the only city that lives in you."
    Chris Rose 

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    edited May 2014
    Options
    Wait. I thought THIS was "the other forum".  :D

If you look at Steven's profile, and mine for that matter, you will see no "joined" date. We are among many who were part of the original forum.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Chris_Wang
    Chris_Wang Posts: 1,254
    Options
    Yeah, Mr. Chamberlain said he never got approved. Very friendly man like @Spring Hen‌ mentioned.

Ball Ground, GA

ATL Sports Homer

• Little Steven
    Options
    Tom is the best!

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• GeorgeS
    GeorgeS Posts: 955
    Options
    Sometimes it would appear that this forum doesn't give approval to new members. It took a lot of doing on my part to get on this forum. I tried numerous times over a 2 month period to get approval to post. I got the original email but it said that it needed to be approved to post. So I was able to sign in but not post to topics or creat new ones. I basically just created a few screen names until one got through. I guess that is the frustrating thing about not having a moderator because there was no one to email about the issue. Maybe he had the same problem and gave up. Maybe if there is some bad blood and he had the same issue, maybe he thought it was done on purpose. That's a shame!
    Bristow Virginia XL&Mini One of the best feelings in life is watching other people enjoy the food I cooked!
  • egret
    egret Posts: 4,170
    Options
    The other forum was not associated directly with BGE Corp although they did contribute the operating costs (I am told). When the new ownership came in they decided to open this forum. They were supposed to have retained the wife of the original forum as a moderator, don't know if that happened. A lot of people got upset that they were essentially shutting down the old forum and since that time it has been funded by donations from members and eggfest hosts. There are several folks who simply will not come on this forum. Tom told me that he was never able to get approved on this forum. Many of us were "Grandfathered" in here and did not have to create accounts. There is a great deal of bad blood concerning this and some are very passionate about it. RRP could probably fill in some blanks if he reads this.
    The "wife of the original forum"!!??? :))
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Sorry about that. It was supposed to be the "wife of the originator"

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    edited May 2014
    Options
    A little history about the glitchy switch.  When the vanilla forum was fired up all the members of the original forum (info and forum name) were supposed to have been ported over......Well that transition didn't happen smoothly for some of us, me being one.  
    When I tried to log into the vanilla forum I would be told the name was invalid, and, when I tried to start from scratch i was told my name was already assigned.  After several months of no response from the new moderator and lots of frustration I asked Wayne for help. He found out what happened and told me how to regain my name and log into the company forum.  I lost all my post counts and I have a convoluted log in, but at least I can log into this site and post.
    The lack of response and help from company site moderator was no bueno and had Wayne not figured out what happen I would not be posting here today.  
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Double Bogey
    Double Bogey Posts: 635
    Options
    I wonder how that "Egret" fellow got approved with his track record
    Larry
    Aiken, SC. and
    Fancy Gap, Va.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Not to mention Steven.  :))

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    Options
    Tom is a great guy, has little IT savy, Brenda was one of the original moderators after the switch, when the old moderators were asked to make some modifications they wouldn't and this forum was created, tried to stay factual......peace out
  • Crimsongator
    Options
    nolan8v said:
    Durangler Posts: 88
    Very curious.    

I'm curious as well as to why there are two different sites... only if it does not open Pandora's box.
    The other forum moderators were asked to make some changes and wouldn't so BGE created a new forum. This came directly from BGE
  • egret
    egret Posts: 4,170
    Options
    I wonder how that "Egret" fellow got approved with his track record
    I wonder, too, Larry!! :)) It's a good thing they're not too particular or we'd both be elsewhere!
  • Little Steven
    Options
    You are so on the "inside" Gino

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Crimsongator
    Options
    Wait. I thought THIS was "the other forum".  :D

If you look at Steven's profile, and mine for that matter, you will see no "joined" date. We are among many who were part of the original forum.
    I never noticed that.
  • PNWFoodie
    PNWFoodie Posts: 1,046
    Options
    They must have gotten much better at running things...it took less than 24 hours from creating my membership to being able to post. But now I'm wondering if I need to join another forum, too. :)
    XL, JR, and more accessories than anyone would ever need near Olympia, WA
    Sandy
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Options
    Yes without a doubt join the other forum as well. Lot's of great people and cooks that are on both, Lot's of great people and cooks that are on one or the other. A wealth of information on both spots. 
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Fred19Flintstone Posts: 8,168
    Options

I wouldn't want to belong to a club that would have me for a member.

- Groucho Marx

Flint, Michigan