Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Question about bacon wrapped shrimp in jalapeño....

Options
How do you cook these delectable little bites of heaven. I have wrapped the shrimp in a jalapeño half and dusted them with DP Down and Dizzy with the intent of a light brushing with some peach barbecue sauce at the end. The question is temp, direct, indirect and time? Help a brother out please!
Bristow Virginia XL&Mini One of the best feelings in life is watching other people enjoy the food I cooked!

Comments

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Never done it with shrimp but reg ABT's I go indirect at 375 for 2/3 of the cook then raised direct to crisp up the bacon. Pull when crisp level is where you like it.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • DIAD
    DIAD Posts: 187
    Options
    I have no idea, but I am waiting patiently to see. Sounds delicious!
    Chester, MD
  • Danny Noonan
    Options
    Indirect at 375 for 45 minutes should do the trick. I always cook with the shrimp raw and spread cream cheese on the jalapeño. 
  • GeorgeS
    GeorgeS Posts: 955
    Options
    Thanks folks! I was try to time them ahead of burgers and wasn't sure on time. I'll let ya know how they turn out. Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    Bristow Virginia XL&Mini One of the best feelings in life is watching other people enjoy the food I cooked!
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    They look delicious
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• GeorgeS
    Options
    Man they turned out awesome! So glad I got the before shot because they disappeared so fast I didn't get any finished shots!!
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    Too late to answer now, but for sake of others was your shrimp raw or already cooked? When I make my ABTs with shrimp I always use precooked. Also since shrimp tend stone rather bland tasting I dust mine with DP Raging River before inserting in the pepper.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Mattman3969
    Options
    @RRP - what is the thoughts behind the precooked shrimp versus raw??

analyze adapt overcome

• RRP
    Options
    @RRP - what is the thoughts behind the precooked shrimp versus raw??
    In my feeble mind the shrimp is well buried and therefore protected by the Philly Cheese, the pepper itself and then the bacon. I suppose raw shrimp in that position may cook, but I'd rather not take the chance. BTW it's also personal but the only time I got food poisoning it was from under cooked shrimp from a restaurant in "Sparkle City" SC.
  • Mattman3969
    Options
    Good explanation. Curiosity just got me cause I would have figured that precooked would be very chewy after 45 min at 375 or so.

analyze adapt overcome

• GeorgeS
    Options
    I did mine without the cheese. My shrimp were raw. I cooked indirect at about 375-400 for about 45 minutes then removed the plate setter and cooked direct for about 15 minutes after putting some peach bbq sauce on them.
  • RRP
    Options
    Good explanation. Curiosity just got me cause I would have figured that precooked would be very chewy after 45 min at 375 or so.

True, but I normally egg my ABTs at a lower temp and shorter time than that - especially when I zap my bacon before wrapping to shorten the cooking time.
  • Mattman3969
    Options
    Gotcha @RRP . All kinds of ways to get to excellent result!

analyze adapt overcome

• Mattman3969
    Options
    GeorgeS said:
    I did mine without the cheese. My shrimp were raw. I cooked indirect at about 375-400 for about 45 minutes then removed the plate setter and cooked direct for about 15 minutes after putting some peach bbq sauce on them.

Glad they were good for you.

analyze adapt overcome

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,846
    Options
    Did you use a storebought Peach BBQ sauce or did you make it?  HEB grocery stores used to have their own and it was awesome but I can't find it any more.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• GeorgeS
    Options
    I used a sauce from a guy down in Florida called the Sauce Boss. He makes awesome hot sauces and this one is more like a bbq sauce than a hot sauce so I tried it and it was great.
  • NecessaryIndulg
    NecessaryIndulg Posts: 1,298
    edited April 2014
    Options
    Sorry I am so late, but it sounds like they were a huge success! 

I cook mine indirect at ~250-275F for about 45 min. I do not precook the shrimp or the bacon.

Jalapeño Shrimp Poppers
    I'm Kristi ~ Live in FL ~ BGE since 2003.
    I write about food & travel on Necessary Indulgences.  
    You can also find me on FacebookInstagram, and Twitter.
  • Gator_Man
    Gator_Man Posts: 138
    Options
    GeorgeS do you have a link to the Sauce Boss? Thanks G M

I'm from North Carolina summer and Okeechobee Florida winter.

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,846
    Options
    Google

http://www.sauceboss.com/

Thanks. I'll probably get some.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Gator_Man
    Gator_Man Posts: 138
    Options
    Thanks! =D>

I'm from North Carolina summer and Okeechobee Florida winter.

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

• GeorgeS
    edited April 2014
    Options
    I was waiting tables in college 23 years ago and the guy who makes the sauce was up here with his band. He came into the restaurant to eat and asked what kind of hot sauce we had. We only had Texas Pete and that was not satisfactory for him. He brought two bottles of hot sauce in, one to use and one as part of my tip. I have been ordering it every since. The habanero and the Datil sauces are both good. Nice flavor, good heat but won't drastically alter food flavor.
  • GeorgeS
    Options
    @NecessaryIndulg‌ that is a very nice photo! Wish I had gotten some pics while cooking and when done! I was too busy eating them to remember!
  • TMay
    TMay Posts: 87
    edited April 2014
    Options
    Use thin bacon and raw shrimp, wrap the jalapeno with the shrimp, dust on your favorite seasoning, cook @ 350 degrees ish, when the bacon is done so is the shrimp.  
    Rowlett, Texas
  • GeorgeS
    Options
    @TMay‌ You got it, plus a pull, change to direct for burgers, brush with BBQ sauce and back on the grill for 10 minutes. I didn't use any cheese in mine. I wanted a sweet and spivey bacon flavor. Turned out great. I will be cooking these again soon.