Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dome not properly seated

Options
Hey all,

I noticed the other day that my lid is not seated completely flat against the base.  There's an 1/8" gap at the hinge and I was going to re-attach the plastic "shipping retainer bars", loosen the carriage bolts, and readjust the upper and lower bands in hopes of getting the dome to seat flat.  Here's the rub...I cant get the retainer bars to fit over the bolts as they did when it was unpacked, they're close but just off.  I was thinking either A: ream the holes out until they fit over the bolts or B: use plastic zip ties pulled tight to lock it all in place.

I'd appreciate any advise on getting my dome to fit properly as I plan to smoke my first racks of ribs tomorrow and hate to think of all that heat loss due to the gap.

Comments

• td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,822
    Options
    Grillnugget I would just loosen the band bolts and try to line everything up and not screw around with the hinge.
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Close the dome, loosen the bolts until you can drop the dome to meet the base, try tightening them up. If you want, zap straps/zip ties will work fine if you feel you need them. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!