Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Porchetta Recipe

Options
Does anyone have a good porchetta recipe for only BGE?

Comments

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I do. I did an all belly version and I Sous Vided it. I didn't love the texture but the flavors were spot on. I'll find it.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • SenecaTheYounger
    SenecaTheYounger Posts: 368
    edited April 2014
    Options
    Porchetta seems to be a very wide ranging thing.  There may a be a traditional porchetta recipe, but I don't have one.

I've always enjoyed it to be something very flexible.  You can use a loin cut (especially if it has a nice fat layer), a butt, or even a picnic shoulder.

My last was a skin-on shoulder.  I deboned it, because skin on it left little opportunity for seasoning (seasoning doesn't stick well to the skin).

I unrolled it, and seasoned it heavily with some herbs which had overwintered (sage, for example).  Salt and peppered, and finely minced garlic. 

Scored the skin deeply, in a diagonal pattern, and then rolled and tied it into a loin-sized roll. Season deeply into the cut marks.

Then onto the egg in an open dutch oven for a long time ate lower temperatures, 250-275.  Some wine and herbs and garlic, maybe onion, into the pot after a while.  When it reaches 145-150, you are all set.  I tend to cook them to a bit higher temperature than a regular loin roast, given their fat and texture.

The skin crisps somewhat.  Some parts better than others.

It's a very rustic cook with some smoke.

You could do this without the dutch oven and wine, but I believe it is part of the porchetta tradition. Someone more experienced will have to answer that.

I have always understood it to be a very flexible type of cook.  Some form of pork roast, garlic of course, seasoning, and herbs in a good amount, and wine.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Copia ciborum subtilitas impeditur

Seneca Falls, NY

• jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    Options
    This is absolutely fantastic. It's written for the oven but easily done in the egg. I've done it both ways.

6 to 8 pound pork butt

FOR THE PORK:

½ cup lightly packed rosemary leaves

½ cup lightly packed sage leaves

cup olive oil

3 tbsp. fennel seeds, lightly crushed (optional)

2 ½ tbsp. coarsely ground black pepper

1 tbsp. crushed red chile flakes

14 cloves garlic

Process all the ingredients except the butt into a paste.

Make 1-inch deep slits all over the roast and stuff the herbs into them. Rub remaining paste on outside. Bake in 400 degrees for an hour. Flip roast. Bake another hour.

1 large onion

2 stalks celery

To the roasting pan, add two inches of water, one onion chunked and two celery stalks chunked. Cover tightly with foil. Turn oven down to 350 and cook 3 to 4 more hours. It’s done when you can stick a fork into it and it’s so tender it chunks.

Remove roast from the pan, and skim oil from drippings.

Let roast cool until you handle it. “Pull it,” dividing into chunks somewhat bite size or a little larger.

Put in a serving pan or back in the foil pan. Moisten with reserved drippings, making sure you get some of the black pepper in there. Refrigerate if serving the next day. Cover with foil and reheat at 350 for about an hour. 

Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Here is a recipe that looks really good. 

@SenecaTheYounger- is this similar to what you do?

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• SenecaTheYounger
    Options
    That's pretty much what I do, and might have been the post that got me doing it. Thanks for linking to it. 

I do stud the outside with garlic typically, but for the last one I did a picnic with skin on (deboned).  The skin made it difficult to stud with garlic, so I minced it and rubbed it in the meat (unrolled) and again on the outside after scoring the skin.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Copia ciborum subtilitas impeditur

Seneca Falls, NY