Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Doing my first Turbo Butt this Sunday

Options
Hey guys- I'm planning to cook a turbo butt for this Sunday's Master's party.  

It's an 8 lb butt.  Do you recommend I brine it?

Comments

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    No need to brine. Some inject but I never have.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    No brine for butts. Rub only. Some use only s&p. Others have more ingredients in a homemade rub. Or use a store bought mix like Dizzy Pig. Some inject too, though I never have.

I've never heard of anyone brining a butt. Doesn't mean no one ever HAS, just that I don't recall it.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    No brine for butts. Rub only. Some use only s&p. Others have more ingredients in a homemade rub. Or use a store bought mix like Dizzy Pig. Some inject too, though I never have.

I've never heard of anyone brining a butt. Doesn't mean no one ever HAS, just that I don't recall it.

I'm not positive butt I think I saw alton brown do it when he slow cooked one in a clay planters pot
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• Carolina Q
    Options
    grege345 said:
    I'm not positive butt I think I saw alton brown do it when he slow cooked one in a clay planters pot
    Could be I guess. I have a flower pot smoker too. Cooks a mean butt. With no brine. :)image

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    Years and years ago I brined a butt and I will never do that again! The meat had a weird semi-ham like taste that even heavy BBQ sauce couldn't mask! 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • ColAngus
    ColAngus Posts: 123
    Options
    Good to hear!  Less work for me.

Thanks!!!

• ColAngus
    Options
    How long should I wait to prep the meat?  I'm going to rub yellow mustard all over it, then use Dizzy Pig for the rub. 

Does it help to rub the butt the night before (can't help to giggle like a school girl when I say that)?
  • Chris_Wang
    Chris_Wang Posts: 1,254
    Options
    Do it whenever you want. I typically rub and go. I've let it sit in the fridge overnight all rubbed down, but I don't think it makes a difference. I think I did it the night before just because I was excited...

Ball Ground, GA

ATL Sports Homer

• Carolina Q
    Options
    I usually apply the rub right before I throw the butt on the egg. Using mustard is just a waste of a good hot dog condiment. :)

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• SenecaTheYounger
    Options
    Add rub whenever it is convenient for you.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Copia ciborum subtilitas impeditur

Seneca Falls, NY

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    edited April 2014
    Options
    ColAngus said:

Does it help to rub the butt the night before (can't help to giggle like a school girl when I say that)?
    Typically I never rub butts nor ribs until right before they go on the egg. Depending on the salt content  - for instance Bad Bryon which I find extremely salty - will draw the moisture out of the pork, especially if rubbed the night before - at least that's my opinion!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • SenecaTheYounger
    SenecaTheYounger Posts: 368
    edited April 2014
    Options
    @RRP

This is true. You are correct.  But keep in mind though that sugar is more hygroscopic than salt.

Most of the liquid left behind after rub has been left to sit on a pork butt or ribs is actually due to the sugar.  Rubs (for flavor, not curing) use much more sugar than salt, even though salt content can be high.

In a cure, where salt rules the day, or it may at least equal the amount of sugar, it is a fair fight.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Seneca Falls, NY

• FearlessTheEggNoob
    Options
    Ive read that a light coat of oil before the rub allows the oil soluble ingredients in the rub to seep in to the meat. Im going to cook up my first boston butt tonight and take it to the motorcycle race tomorrow.
    Gittin' there...
  • SenecaTheYounger
    Options
    re: "a light coat of oil before the rub allows the oil soluble ingredients in the rub to seep in to the meat"

The moisture of the meat is a barrier to the oil.  It will not wick or weep into the meat. 

If you have fat soluble components in the rub, any fat from the meat in contact with the dry rub (w/o oil) would be enough to do what you are hoping the oil would do.

Seneca Falls, NY

• Acorn
    Acorn Posts: 163
    Options
    Let it get room temp. I let mine sit out for at least and hour, mustard and dizzy pig. I have learned from everyone on this forum, this works great.
    Atlanta, GA  - LBGE -
  • puddinhead
    Options
    I have read about brining a pork butt and ribs as well, but have never done it.  I do inject my pork butts and use olive oil coating before applying my rub.I have done overnight prep and immediate prep.  I am not certain it makes a difference.  How deep can rub go.  It makes sense that brining would cause a "hammy" taste due to the high salt concentration and prolonged exposure. If I use a higher salt rub overnight it does sometimes cause a more ham flavor to my ribs, but not so with a pork butt.  There is plenty of interior meat to dilute any salt when mixed in with the bark. My product has been well received by friends, neighbors, and co-workers.
  • SenecaTheYounger
    Options
    Leaving meat out for an hour won't warm it to any great extent. And when it is done, as for steaks or roasts (which need afew hours), the purpose is to even out temperature gradient across the meat so that when it reaches medium or medium-rare (for example), there's no great depth of well done exterior.

For a butt or ribs, there is no advantage to warmingthe meat. Just throw it on and get cooking.

Colder meat can also attain a greater depth of smoke ring (cosmetic) because condensation on the surface helps with smoke adsorption.

Seneca Falls, NY

• Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    Options
    I have never brined a butt.  I have always put the rub on while the egg is warming up and stabilizing.  I have done them low and slow and turbo, and every one has been Eggcellent - it is a hard cook to screw up.  The only thing to watch is that a rub with a lot of sugar can get pretty black when cooking turbo, but for my taste it is not a problem.  Enjoy the cook!
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    Brining to me is for hams. I may do one next weekend and inject it.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • golfandgrill
    Options
    Col Angus. Great name
    Fighting Sioux Hockey
  • ColAngus
    Options
    I've searched trying to find the original Mickey'sTurbo Butt thread with the instructions, but I can't find it.

To summarize- 
    • cook at 350 until internal is at 160
    • then take it off and wrap in foil
    • put it back on the BGE until internal is 195
    When do I put the wood chunks?  Do I keep the BGE at 350 when I wrap in foil?

PS- I think there should be an official Mickey's Turbo Butt recipe.  It's really confusing trying to find the exact thread.  I've search Google and the BGE forums.

• Chris_Wang
    edited April 2014
    Options
    Mix your chunks in your lump then light the egg.

There are as many turbo methods now as there are creation/evolution theories.

I do 325 straight through, no foil.

Some do 350 straight through, no foil.

Some do 325 for 2 hours, then finish at 350 till the IT is where it needs to be.

And yes, some still foil in turbo/nitro mode just to speed it up even more.

Ball Ground, GA

ATL Sports Homer

• Chris_Wang
    edited April 2014
    Options
    Not even sure how @Mickey‌ does it these days. I believe the egg stays at 350° when he wraps the butt.

Ball Ground, GA

ATL Sports Homer

• ColAngus
    Options
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    TURBO BUTTS. · Hot'n fast, 350 for 5 hours to internal to 200 and then let it rest for an hour or so wrapped in towels in a ice chest. Falls apart and oh so good! Have fun! · Be sure you only get a 7lb butt or so for the time (or a couple or more for more protein ) . Note: The butt box is not required. I use mustard & Bad Byron's Butt Rub (both not required). I put on the rub, then mustard, then rub once more.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• yumdinger
    yumdinger Posts: 255
    Options
    I did my second Turbo Butt yesterday for a NCAA National Championship Hockey Party.  I foiled due to time crunch.  Boneless from Costco, 2 butts, one about 8 lbs and one 7lbs.  I applied Mustard, Jack Henry Pecan Rub (man that stuff is good) combined with DP Dizzy too add a bite to the sweet pecan just prior to slapping them on the Egg.  
    Fire made with Royal Oak Red Bag (USA), with Apple and Cherry Wood 2" chunks throughout lump all the way down to my Largest coal at the bottom of my lump. 
    Butts on egg at 11:30 am, 350 DOME used my Maverick remote temp probe.   
    Meat was 45 when it went on the grill. 
    One hour - Butt was 106, grate temp 336 Dome spiked to 360.  Let it ride.  
    2 hours - Meat was 147, grate 322 and Dome still 350-360.  
    3 hours - Meat 160 Grate and Dome same.  I did not tie the boneless butts up this time, some smaller parts were sticking out, their temp had jumped to 180 and up.  Of course this is the time I get to sample some of the burnt ends!  they were very good.....love that part of the cook, first taste.
    I pulled both Butts and put them in Foil pans with just a bit of apple cider in the bottom and covered the pans with foil, back in the egg.
    4 hours - meat 195, I pulled and put in the cooler for travel.
    Pulled at the Hockey Party 1 hour 25 minutes later.  
    It was very good.  The bark had softened slightly but there was still good bark to be had due to the flaps that had flipped out of the butt.  It was moist and tender.  I had one area of the larger butt that was just a touch harder to pull but it did and it was tender.  
    I served the pork with Bone Suckin' Sauce and a local Organic BBQ sauce that was also exceptional.
    Congrats to Union College.  Our Golden Gophers will be back for years to come! 
  • ColAngus
    Options
    I put it on at 8am.  It's 3 hrs into it and the internal temp is 150.

We're not having guests over for another 4 hours.  Can I just keep it on the BGE w/out foil?  

Do you recommend foil only when in a time crunch?  

I don't want to dry out the meat.  Should I pull off and foil or not?

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    If you are going for pulled pork you still have a ways to go, somewhere around an IT of 200 or when it probes with no resistance. If you finish early you can FTC for several hours.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    When it's done, wrap in foil (the whole butt), then bath towel, then into the cooler. Will be fine for 4-6 hours. Then pull it for pulled pork. If you are ready to eat when the butt is done. no foil needed, just pull and enjoy.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Carolina Q
    Options
    And do NOT leave it on the egg once it's done.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut