Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Buttermilk/Hot Sauce Chicken for Dinner!! (Pic Heavy)

Options
We just got finished churning our own butter which means I had some buttermilk left over! I made a buttermilk/hat sauce bath and soaked some chicken breasts in it. I seasoned it with Urban Grill's Plethora of Pepper seasoning and grilled it up with some taters and asparagus. The family was HAPPY!!! It was an experiment that turned out great! The chicken was tender and super moist. EGGcellent!! 

imageimageimageimageimageimage

Comments

• TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    Looks good Craig, Do you churn your butter by hand? Where do you get the milk for making butter?
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Looks good Craig, Do you churn your butter by hand? Where do you get the milk for making butter?
    Ugh, yes unfortunately. My father has an antique butter churn with a hand crank. It takes about 15 minutes of churning to get the butter to separate. Next time I will use the Kitchenaid. 

There is a local farm that sells fresh cream. They don't have a lot of it so sometimes it is hard to find. A gallon of cream will generally yield about 2 qts of butter. There is NOTHING better that fresh butter! 
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    Ugh, yes unfortunately. My father has an antique butter churn with a hand crank. It takes about 15 minutes of churning to get the butter to separate. Next time I will use the Kitchenaid. 

There is a local farm that sells fresh cream. They don't have a lot of it so sometimes it is hard to find. A gallon of cream will generally yield about 2 qts of butter. There is NOTHING better that fresh butter! 
    I'm sure that homemade butter is fantastic but I was as much curious about the buttermilk as well. When I checked with a local farmer here in my area (Southern Ontario) he told me that you can't really get milk for making butter due to the health regulations. Maybe I need to do some more investigating.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    I an no expert, but we make our butter from fresh cream. Once the solid butter is removed, the liquid is buttermilk. Right?  My local grocer keeps buttermilk regularly. I think you can make your own buttermilk by adding some white vinegar to regular milk?
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    Yes, buttermilk is what's left over from making butter. The buttermilk you buy in the store is not "real" buttermilk. It is my understanding that "real" buttermilk is on a whole different level from what's available at the grocery store.
    It was damn good!
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Haven't made butter in a long time. On the list!
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX