Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

America's Ten Best Cities for BBQ

Would love to hit up many of these places to experience their Q.  Being from Lexington, NC I can check that off as well as Memphis, but I really want to head to Texas sometime to experience their offering! 

Do you guys agree/disagree with the list?  Is there a city you feel was left off? 

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/hoppercom/americas-ten-best-cities-_b_5106511.html
Thanks,

Matthew
---------------------------------------------------------------------
"Be kind; as everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about"
Thomasville, NC - Large BGE - Medium BGE - Plate Setter - Maverick ET-733 - BBQ Guru Party-Q (new design ) Pizza Stone - BGE V-Rack - Weed Torch (to light egg) - Grid Extender - Bayou Classic 14" CI griddle
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Facebook
My Photography Site
·

Comments

• SmokinpigSmokinpig Posts: 615
    I would remove Atlanta from the list. Moving here from NC 16 years ago I will say the BBQ scene is pretty lacking.

LBGE Atlanta, GA

·
  • SmokeyPittSmokeyPitt Posts: 6,557
    I was just about to say the same thing...I have lived in the Atlanta area my entire life and I have never really thought about it as a BBQ destination.  If you look at the size of Atlanta, and the number or Q joints, the Q-per-capita is very low ;)

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

·
  • henapplehenapple Posts: 14,424
    Why the hell is Nashville on the list? Rendezvous is over rated imho. Didn't mention Franklin or @cazzy and his beau John.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
    ·
     Brooklyn, New York???
    Get a rope.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

·
  • Add Flint Michigan. We barbeque tube steak to perfection. We add a zesty chili (without beans to keep rowdy Texans happy) and top it simply with minced onion and yellow mustard. Come on up and try our tube steaks!

........................................................................................

Flint, Michigan.  Named the most dangerous city in America by the F.B.I. three years running.

We invented the U.A.W. and carjacking!

·
  • tarheelmatttarheelmatt Posts: 3,577
    @henapple - Franklin is on the list in Austin, Texas.  I didn't see La Barbecue though. 
    Thanks,

Matthew
    Thomasville, NC - Large BGE - Medium BGE - Plate Setter - Maverick ET-733 - BBQ Guru Party-Q (new design ) Pizza Stone - BGE V-Rack - Weed Torch (to light egg) - Grid Extender - Bayou Classic 14" CI griddle

Facebook
    My Photography Site
    ·
    Sorry.. I'm drinking.
    ·
    I think tube steak means something entirely different in these here parts.
    ·
    Don't drink to much and start barbequing "tube steak", @henapple. ;
    Thanks,

Matthew

Facebook
    My Photography Site
    ·
  • JRWhiteeJRWhitee Posts: 2,619
    I agree Atlanta should come off the list I have lived in Atlanta over 20 years and I prefer my BBQ.

Large BGE 2006, Mini Max 2014 
    Founding Member of the Green Man Group cooking team.
    Johns Creek, Georgia

·
  • JohnInCarolinaJohnInCarolina Posts: 2,455
     Brooklyn, New York???
    Get a rope.
    I agree that viewing it as a BBQ destination is kind of silly, but on a recent trip I went to Briskettown in Brooklyn - it was phenomenal.  

If the world is something you accept rather than interpret, then you're susceptible to the influence of charismatic idiots.

Currently in Albuquerque, where I'm kicking ass every day, even without a basket.  
    ·
  • cazzycazzy Posts: 7,934

Brooklyn, New York???
    Get a rope.

I agree that viewing it as a BBQ destination is kind of silly, but on a recent trip I went to Briskettown in Brooklyn - it was phenomenal.  

Briskettown, that's pretty cool!
    Join the 2015 Rub & Sauce Exchange!  Find out more information here:
    http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1182005/2015-egghead-rub-sauce-exchange/p1

Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ...
    ·
    Lockhart #1....meh....maybe 5-10 years ago

·
    I feel like Lexington, NC, in a way has lost its feel, in my opinion.  They do not want to evolve and are "stuck" in their ways so-to-speak.  I must be in the minority because when a newbie tries to come in and start they never last. 
    Thanks,

Matthew

Facebook
    My Photography Site
    ·
    @johnincarolina That looks amazing! 
    Thanks,

Matthew

Facebook
    My Photography Site
    ·
  • I think dr. BBQ was/is the executive chef for Justin Timberlakes bbq joint in Brooklyn.

Lockhart sucks. All made for tv.

·
    I agree that does look incredible. 

·
    Dammit Huffington
    ·
    The ribs and brisket were awesome.  Very peppery, very moist.

No BBQ sauce to be seen in the joint.  Lots of hipsters though.  

The story of the place is a pretty good read:

They basically camped out in TX to learn the trade, then moved everything up to NY.
    If the world is something you accept rather than interpret, then you're susceptible to the influence of charismatic idiots.

Currently in Albuquerque, where I'm kicking ass every day, even without a basket.  
    ·
  • saluki2007saluki2007 Posts: 1,080
    Agree with henapple that Rendezvous is over rated.  Central is my favorite memphis joint, followed by interstate.
    Large BGE
    Morton, IL

·

@tarheelmatt that is what I love about Lexington, it is the same as I remember it from the 80s and on. The food is always good, they have their off days but it is essentially the same. I think it is part good Q and part memories of the patrons. I imagine this holds true elsewhere.

LBGE Atlanta, GA

·

The ribs and brisket were awesome.  Very peppery, very moist.

No BBQ sauce to be seen in the joint.  Lots of hipsters though.  

The story of the place is a pretty good read:

They basically camped out in TX to learn the trade, then moved everything up to NY.

Thanks for posting! I've never heard of this place...I can't wait to try it during my next NYC trip. :-\"

Did you eat anything else that was awesome? :-?

·
  • ElCapitanElCapitan Posts: 154
    edited April 2014
    I think dr. BBQ was/is the executive chef for Justin Timberlakes bbq joint in Brooklyn. Lockhart sucks. All made for tv.
    Lockhart sucks?  Going to have to agree to disagree on that one.  I think all three rank high in Texas Monthly and the fact that you have small town with such a high density of quality joints is pretty amazing.  I've only been to one but it was damn good.  Made for TV, lol, I'm pretty sure those joints were around before TV existed.

I was surprised that Stubbs was mentioned as all of the Stubbs stuff seems like a marketing rebirth since it's not authentic Stubbs.  Is Stubbs actually good?  Buying a famous name doesn't make you famous in my opinion but hey, maybe it's chic in Austin and that carries weight with Huffington.
    XL Owner
    ·
    @smokinpig, In a way, yes I like that too.  I remember as a kid going to grab BBQ and having curb service, which is nice.  It might be my generation, but I would like to see some new style BBQ come to town.  I will still love the staples, but I do love other BBQ too.  My comment can be taken as if I was negative, it wasn't supposed to come off that way.  I still love the BBQ in Lexington and still very proud of it too, I just wished we had other options sometimes. 

My favorite though isn't Honeymonk's though.  I personally like Speedy's and probably go there a couple times a month. 

Did you have a favorite @smokinpig? ; Did you live in the area?
    Thanks,

Matthew

Facebook
    My Photography Site
    ·
  • sumoconnellsumoconnell Posts: 995
    I'd swap Austin and Lockhart no question.  Dry ass beef shoulder?  No thanks.
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
    ·
    I wouldn't know good Texas bbq. Every time I'm there Centex or cazzy takes me to some non rated restaurant. ...and takes my ozark. I did get a shirt though. Better than a t-shirt.
    IMG951896.jpg 392.1K
    ·

@tarheelmatt born in Greensboro, grew up in Winston and Raleigh and then back to High Point for college. Honey Monks is probably my favorite follow by stamey's in Greensboro and then bbq center. I have not been to speedy's  in a long time or smileys ever actually. Posted this last week in my attempt to recreate home Q.

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/comment/1484239#Comment_1484239

LBGE Atlanta, GA

·
    @Smokinpig that is awesome.  I missed your post, but will take a look at it now.  Love the skins they serve too! 

My favorite at Honey Monk is chopped sandwich with a skin on it!  Damn it is awesome. 
    Thanks,

Matthew

Facebook
    My Photography Site
    ·
    @Smokingpig that looks great...bookmarked.  

FYI, for some reason when you link to a specific comment it hides the pictures (at least I couldn't see them).  Here is another link:

·
    @cazzy's giving me the business because he's the one who suggested Briskettown when I told him I was going to be in NY for a week.  

He also put me on to the Shake Shack, where the burgers are off-the-chain.  As I've said many times, he's a righteous dude.  

·