Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ever try adding wood in ash area???

Options
Just curious if anyone has tried adding wood chunks in the ash area of their Eggs? Didn't know if it would even burn enough to create a smoke. Seems like it would maybe work well if it would smoke. I might try it sometime.
My PitMaster IQ120 FREAKIN ROCKS!!!!!!! Current BGE arsenal: XL & MiniMax

Comments

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I have done it with chips and was able to get them to burn once the fire was going long enough for some hot coals to drop through. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• RickyBobby
    RickyBobby Posts: 744
    Options
    Yep, that's kinda what I was thinking. I keep my ash area cleaned out, almost always before every cook. If you let fire burn long enough that some hot ash falls through, I'd think a person could easily push some smaller wood chunks up underneath into ash area. Can't wait to try this!
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited April 2014
    Options
    I have done it with chips and was able to get them to burn once the fire was going long enough for some hot coals to drop through. 
    I did try the same thing, However, IMO the smoke wood burned, that is it flamed it did not smoulder, so the smoke was not right. I think it may be because the airflow is concentrated in the ash pit. Best method is to mix the wood throughout the lump. 
    When cleaning out the firebox or just changing the lump brand based on the cook, I do cover the bottom of the ash pit with those small unburned pieces of lump. They seem to burn off. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    +3 on low and slow I mix the wood chunks into the lump to get smoke throughout the cook.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • RickyBobby
    RickyBobby Posts: 744
    Options
    Thanks fellas! I mix with Lump too. I just like exploring new ideas when Egging.