Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My new Kamado Joe is going back...

Options
I posted a thread here ( http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1163411/new-addition-to-the-komodo-family#latest ) with my new JR and started noticing a few issues but nothing major. A small chip in dome, missing accessories from factory, and the gasket was almost done after only a few cooks.. But the major was  No screen on the draft door and I had a minor mishap because of it the other night. I spoke with KJ and they said since no one else had contacted them about the screen issue, they wont do anything about it. Well they first said my issue of sparks coming out draft door was because I dont use the KJ Lump.. I just laughed about that excuse. They then said I can return it to my dealer, so i contacted Thegardengates.com and they will be sending out a freight truck (R&L Carriers) back to my house to pick up the kjj. I guess i could have sold it for cash since i have not activated the warranty yet, but its not my issue anymore... So long KJ
Beaufort, SC

Comments

• Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    Sounds like general dissatisfaction. I'd return it as well. Hold out for the minimax!
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • plumbfir01
    plumbfir01 Posts: 725
    Options

Bummer. So your returning it because it was missing the bottom draft door screen?

The fact that I kinda caught a bag of lump on fire because the draft door screen or lack of... Yeah main reason. Construction of my kjj is sub par to my egg. I have seen many kj that are very nice looking and clean with no imperfections in ceramic.... This one is not one
    Beaufort, SC
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Products are products whether it's KJ, BGE, etc. Quality of product is always important. But, most of all is excellent customer support and warranty support. BGE has that. Sounds like they (KJ) wanted to toy with you for awhile to get you frustrated in hopes you'd just give up and forget about it, put blame on lump etc. Poor customer support loses customers just as quick if not quicker than a poor product. I would send it back for FULL REFUND also.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • FearlessTheEggNoob
    Options
    Mine delivers today. If it is sub par on fit and finish I will send it back.

If it looks good to go, I can fix the no-screen deal no prob. Might even rob the side tables off my Vision Cub and customize it.
    Gittin' there...
  • plumbfir01
    Options
    It was more about the customer service. To tell me the kj lump will not spark...... They must have assumed it was my first kamado... Gasket is trash from day1 and many imperfections in the ceramic but I looked past it until the screen issue... I am pretty savy with my hands and can easily rig a screen......but it's not the point
    Beaufort, SC
  • FearlessTheEggNoob
    Options
    It was more about the customer service. To tell me the kj lump will not spark...... They must have assumed it was my first kamado... Gasket is trash from day1 and many imperfections in the ceramic but I looked past it until the screen issue... I am pretty savy with my hands and can easily rig a screen......but it's not the point
    #1 That's a dumb answer. Even if their lump has honestly always been spark free in their actual use, people will use whatever brand they can readily find. They will need to mod this Jr or the word of mouth will harm their brand.

#2 Is the one that will kill it for me. Mine better be as nice as the one on their webpage.

The Mini-max is too short IMO. A deflector looks like it would encroach on the firebox capacity too much to allow enough lump for a long smoke.

Gittin' there...
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    Gasket was done on my mini within a few cooks just the same. I never use the screen on the mini, just the door.
    Seattle, WA
  • plumbfir01
    Options
    SkinnyV said:
    Gasket was done on my mini within a few cooks just the same. I never use the screen on the mini, just the door.
    im getting tons of sparks throughout the cooks... you?
    Beaufort, SC
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    I thought I saw somewhere that it has a ash box thingy inside the bottom vent that has a screen on it. Does it have this or am I crazy?
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• SkinnyV
    Options

SkinnyV said:

im getting tons of sparks throughout the cooks... you?

Nah, not on the mini. I'm on concrete too so no worries if a spark came here or there. i dont use the screen on my large unless im going for 200 degrees.
    Seattle, WA
  • plumbfir01
    Options
    grege345 said:
    I thought I saw somewhere that it has a ash box thingy inside the bottom vent that has a screen on it. Does it have this or am I crazy?
    the bigger ones do..

Guys am i being ridiculous here asking too much? Should i just suck it up and deal with it or fix it myself?
    Beaufort, SC
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    That's totally up to you. I've been wantin one for a few months (waitin on mini max release date). Personally screen wouldn't be a deal breaker. I'd just buy an aftermarket one that they sell. I look t it like this. I have upgraded my grates, hi que grate, swing rack. Going to get a smoke ware cap and a new gasket. So I guess what I'm saying is its just another bolt on accessory. As for the chips in the ceramic, that would bother me. Did it happen during shipping? IMO I'd never get a ceramic cooker shipped but that's just me. I like to touch things before I buy
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• plumbfir01
    Options
    Yeah it was from factory like that.. the Bigger chip is a chunk of the dome on the flat part and they covered it with the gasket... i got it shipped because noone has the locally and they had one in stock. and no tax plus free shipping plus 10% off.. so saved about $100
    Beaufort, SC
  • PNWFoodie
    PNWFoodie Posts: 1,046
    edited March 2014
    Options
    Ack! Mine is in transit right now! It says there is an "appointment delivery", so I assume they are going to take it out of the box in front of me? I'll make sure to check under the gasket...
    XL, JR, and more accessories than anyone would ever need near Olympia, WA
    Sandy
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options

grege345 said:

the bigger ones do..

Guys am i being ridiculous here asking too much? Should i just suck it up and deal with it or fix it myself?

You're not. They are former eggers that decided that they could do better. Based on what I experienced and what you have, they aren't even close.
  • cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    Options
    I thought I saw a video on YouTube about the ash drawer with built in screen. The lump response is BS. All lump sparks to some degree. For me personally, without a screen, I wouldn't buy it. My home and family are too important to me to risk losing it all from a spark from a grill.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    edited March 2014
    Options
    I personally use KJ lump and their lump occasionally sparks. LOL what a ridiculous answer they gave, their lump is good lump though. Comparable to WGWW.
  • jimreed777
    jimreed777 Posts: 324
    Options
    my new KJ Jr. is great...no problems so far
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options

Yeah it was from factory like that.. the Bigger chip is a chunk of the dome on the flat part and they covered it with the gasket... i got it shipped because noone has the locally and they had one in stock. and no tax plus free shipping plus 10% off.. so saved about $100

Wow! They've got some stellar quality control at KJ. Do they sweep dirt under the rug too?
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Eggcelsior
    Options

Wow! They've got some stellar quality control at KJ. Do they sweep dirt under the rug too?
    They lie about stuff too. Smart business practice.
  • mmundy81
    mmundy81 Posts: 36
    Options
    Odd that they gave you the run around. I have a KJ (as well as an XL egg, not trolling on this site), and my two experiences with their customer service have been great. I hope their quality is not suffering as their company grows.
  • mmundy81
    mmundy81 Posts: 36
    Options
    Odd that they gave you the run around. I have a KJ (as well as an XL egg, not trolling on this site), and my two experiences with their customer service have been great. I hope their quality is not suffering as their company grows.
  • SkinnyV
    edited March 2014
    Options
    I don't think KJ should be beat up over what maybe one customer service guy tried to pull.
    The net can be damaging to a business.
    The guy told you no one else has a screen, and has complained. You have some minor complaints IMO. They said they would take it back after you cooked on it, you should pack it up and return if it makes you happy.

Seattle, WA
  • plumbfir01
    Options
    She....told me that the lump i use is what causes my sparking issue and to fix it, I need to buy KJ Lump... that was the crappy part. They seem to have good customer service and are working to fix issue but a bs line about lump was a pretty cheap shot to blow it off until they realized I wasnt a total noob. I still have no issues with KJ as long as they make it right. I think i got a bad egg if you will... it happens sometimes. 
    Beaufort, SC
  • Eggcelsior
    Options
    What was her name? I wonder if it was the same person that lied to me. Did it start with "W"?
  • PNWFoodie
    PNWFoodie Posts: 1,046
    Options
    I was wondering if there had been any more issues with anyone else. Mine is scheduled for delivery on Friday and I want to know what to look for. Sandy
    XL, JR, and more accessories than anyone would ever need near Olympia, WA
    Sandy
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    Mine is shipping today also I should have it in a day or 2. I can't wait. I am not worried the issues the OP had are no big deal. You see posts on here all the time about BGE chipping and domes not fitting etc. I do wish they had a ash door but I can go to the BGE retail store and they will give me one I'm sure. Also when I just sold my small BGE I had to search around for the ash door for it and I have never had an issue with sparks.
  • BuckeyeBob
    BuckeyeBob Posts: 673
    Options
    I'm sure I missed another thread on this topic but why the rush to go KJ versus the Egg? Is it cost based or features or both? In my view. I made the decision to buy the Egg when I bought my Large and it has been the best decision I could have ever made. If and when I decide to buy another ceramic, I won't be shopping around. I will stick with the Egg where I know what I am getting and how to use it. With their performance, customer service, lifetime warranty and accessory choices, I personally would see no need to go anywhere else. Just my .02
    Clarendon Hills, IL
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    I looked at the kj today while picking up some DP. It's a nice kamado. I do like the spring assembly better. The owner told me the mini was larger than the kj.. don't know if that's true.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Whaler
    Whaler Posts: 110
    Options
    henapple said:
     The owner told me the mini was larger than the kj.. don't know if that's true.
    Not true the KJ Jr has 13" grate the BGE Mini 9.5" grate.
    Pensacola,FL