Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

REPOST - NCAA Bracket SIGNUP HERE!!

Options

Comments

• EggSpinner
    Options
    Just tell me which bracketology god I need to praise in my tag line...
    Michael 

Winston Salem, NC

• MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,148
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    @YEMTrey‌ is looking good. I'm curious to see how tonight's games go.

He IS a Jedi. ;)
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• itsmce
    itsmce Posts: 410
    Options
    Wichita State's loss was so sad.  Love my Shockers! It's been a fun ride this year.
    Large (sometimes wish it were an XL) in KS
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,860
    Options
    It's coming down to the final weekend for most of us.  The 8 of us who picked UF can be free and clear if they keep rolling.  And it looks like 6 people are guaranteed a spot in the bottom half.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• MaskedMarvel
    Options
    This tournament has been a disaster.
    Large BGE and Medium BGE

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Glad I didn't play. This has been one of the best tournaments in a long time. 8 overtimes?
  • Foghorn
    edited March 2014
    Options

Yes it has.  As a basketball fan I have to commend the UK kids for finally putting it together and learning to play team ball.  As a cynic I have to think that it is easier to pull your kids together when there is no expecation that they actually go to class after the fall semester because they are planning on going pro after the freshman year.  I realize that no competitive college coach would turn down talent just on the basis that the player won't actually stay in school (i.e. "he's too good") so Kentucky is only doing what most programs wish they could. 

I have actually spoken with some of the higher ups in the Duke Alumni Association and suggested that we pressure Coach K to not recruit players that plan to be "one and done" as I would rather see the team lose basketball games than have players at Duke that aren't truly students.  The feedback I get suggests that about 90% of alums agree with me, but that's not enough to overcome the small percentage who make major contributions for athletics. 

But with that said, I'll get off my soapbox and just say "congrats" to any fans of the teams that survived this far.  The games have been very exciting and largely well-played.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Eggcelsior
    Options
    Foghorn said:

Yes it has.  As a basketball fan I have to commend the UK kids for finally putting it together and learning to play team ball.  As a cynic I have to think that it is easier to pull your kids together when there is no expecation that they actually go to class after the fall semester because they are planning on going pro after the freshman year.  I realize that no competitive college coach would turn down talent just on the basis that the player won't actually stay in school (i.e. "he's too good") so Kentucky is only doing what most programs wish they could. 

I have actually spoken with some of the higher ups in the Duke Alumni Association and suggested that we pressure Coach K to not recruit players that plan to be "one and done" as I would rather see the team lose basketball games than have players at Duke that aren't truly students.  The feedback I get suggests that about 90% of alums agree with me, but that's not enough to overcome the small percentage who make major contributions for athletics. 

But with that said, I'll get off my soapbox and just say "congrats" to any fans of the teams that survived this far.  The games have been very exciting and largely well-played.

It's hopefully just a matter of time before Calipari's Faustian deal catches up with him and he gets a show-cause penalty. After all, this is only his 2nd Final Four. Kudos to him by gaming the system into being able to recruit blue chips that turn into lottery picks every year because he can guarantee they will play pro.

The NBA should eliminate the Freshman rule to prevent this crap. While the NCAA is a joke as an enforcement entity, that rule allows the most egregious rule breaking to happen. Only a fool would think that the men's basketball coach doesn't know about what his players are doing. I even find that hard to believe with football teams and their 120+ players.
  • Foghorn
    Options
    I'd be a lot more bothered by Kentucky if I were confident that Jabari Parker is doing well in school - or that Corey Maggette did.
    We could do like the entire rest of the world and separate professional athletics from education. I'm just not sure which system is better. It would be interesting to see what happens to the average group of 16 year old European soccer players who sign to train with a big club - and compare that to a similar cohort of US football and basketball players.

San Antonio, TX

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    NCAA athletes are cash cows for American universities.  Only a small percent (unless you look at programs like KY BB, which is in a very exclusive minority) of those athletes have professional careers outside of coaching.  These guys and gals are giving up their bodies, many with life long damage and pain.  Plenty of super smart, successful pro athletes that never got a degree.  What's a degree?  A way for a regular person to "prove" they can muster up enough fortitude to be a good employee.  And you become enlightened.  If you can survive the instant fame at the elite level of college athletes without waking up dead in a hotel room or with a crack addiction, that helps prove you can do the job you'll be hired for.

I'd love for everyone to be college educated.  If for nothing else, so they aren't ignorant voters.

That said, I support giving some of that money back into a system that takes care of injuries sustained playing the game.  Seems fair.
    Options
    I really hope that the unionization/anti-trust movement succeeds with the "big 5" conferences. The NCAA needs fundamental change. It's only going to happen if the athletes stand up for themselves. The schools/conferences/NCAA only care about money. They couldn't care less about the player's education or they wouldn't do the BS with "handlers" making sure players are passing. They cater to a few "superstars" at the expense of the rest of the team. Let those players go pro out of the gate. They can cut their teeth in the NBDL if they aren't cut out from prime time like so few are.
  • Eggcelsior
    Options
    Foghorn said:

I'd be a lot more bothered by Kentucky if I were confident that Jabari Parker is doing well in school - or that Corey Maggette did.
    We could do like the entire rest of the world and separate professional athletics from education. I'm just not sure which system is better. It would be interesting to see what happens to the average group of 16 year old European soccer players who sign to train with a big club - and compare that to a similar cohort of US football and basketball players.

I'm much more confident that Coach K does not purely recruit to win at all costs. Maybe he's changed in the last few years. I can just about count his one and dones on one hand - Rivers, Deng, Magette, Irving, probably Parker. Avery and Brand were sophomores, no?

Gary Williams was heavily criticized for "losing" local talent (Durant, Anthony, Beasley) but never recruited the players due to the BS that is local AAU.
  • rolltidesmoker
    Options
    3 games to go, If Wisconsin wins 1 and Florida wins 2 I'll be at the top!!!  Too bad we didn't have any money on this thing.  Last time I won I spent it on a Scotty Cameron putter.  Should be great games.
    Suwanee Georgia - suburb north of Atlanta
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    I don't know why you crybabies are throwing off on Kentucky. They are an 8 seed. Everybody else is favored ahead of them right?! I see no Kentucky cheerleading on this site. Yet when you google the most hated team in NCAA basketball...it isn't UK that come up...is it...Duke?
    I'm a Kentucky fan.  Went to the sweet 16 and final 4 here in New Orleans to watch them.
    Options

I don't know why you crybabies are throwing off on Kentucky. They are an 8 seed. Everybody else is favored ahead of them right?! I see no Kentucky cheerleading on this site. Yet when you google the most hated team in NCAA basketball...it isn't UK that come up...is it...Duke?

When did anyone "throw off" on Kentucky? I criticized the coach, not the team. As long as Ashley Judd is happy, we are all better for it.
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    This is all fixed for the most part if the kids could go straight to the NBA or the D-League.  That way they're not forced to attend a university for the one year.

The student will decide whether or not he wants to get an education, or if he is going to try and prove his talent is worthy of being paid.

College athletics have become the "minor leagues" for the major sports. Something they were never intended to do.  If I'm the NCAA, I wholeheartedly stand behind not paying student athletes.  They are there to get an education.  If a professional sports career is what they're after, then go talk to the NFL.

And let's not cry for these major college football players.  MOST ARE GETTING PAID.  It's just now some of the lesser talent wants a cut of the pie as well and this is their way of going about it.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• Foghorn
    Options

Kentucky has the most talent in the country and based on that they were the consensus #1 team in the country at the start of the season.  They are not an underdog.  They are a bunch of players who will be first round NBA draft picks this summer.  Their talent is essentially all freshmen who are making no pretense of planning on staying in college after this year.  My understanding (based on talking to UK alumni) is that they are all told that they have to get a "C" average for the fall semester and register for spring classes.  There is no expectation that they will actually go to any class after December. 

They are a #8 seed because they lost a bunch of games throughout the regular season - largely because they were playing like 5 individuals rather than a team.  As I said, it is nice to see them coming together and playing team basketball.  However, I also think they represent why we need some improvements to our current system. 

San Antonio, TX

• Eggcelsior
    Options
    YEMTrey said:
    This is all fixed for the most part if the kids could go straight to the NBA or the D-League.  That way they're not forced to attend a university for the one year.

The student will decide whether or not he wants to get an education, or if he is going to try and prove his talent is worthy of being paid.

College athletics have become the "minor leagues" for the major sports. Something they were never intended to do.  If I'm the NCAA, I wholeheartedly stand behind not paying student athletes.  They are there to get an education.  If a professional sports career is what they're after, then go talk to the NFL.

And let's not cry for these major college football players.  MOST ARE GETTING PAID.  It's just now some of the lesser talent wants a cut of the pie as well and this is their way of going about it.
    If the NCAA is dissolved as a money making entity, I wholeheartedly agree. However, if they remain a multi-billion dollar industry all athletes deserve a cut. The money is earned on their backs. The scholarship and promise of a free education is no longer enough to justify the monster that this industry has become. 
  • Foghorn
    Options

"Avery and Brand were sophomores, no?"

Yes.  Avery was told by Coach K that he wasn't ready but left anyway. 

San Antonio, TX

• Eggcelsior
    Options
    @foghorn

Coach K was right, if I recall correctly. Didn't Avery flame out in Europe or something?
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    I'm not saying they need to be paid by the system, rather let them have the freedom to make money outside of school and get the system to give them medical insurance.
    Options
    Wojo to Marquette!!
    Large BGE and Medium BGE

• Eggcelsior
    Options
    nolaegghead said: I'm not saying they need to be paid by the system, rather let them have the freedom to make money outside of school and get the system to give them medical insurance.
    This is what is fascinating with the Northwestern unionization fight and
    O'Bannon vs. NCAA. They want the medical care and ability to earn royalties, as opposed to getting paid straight-up.
  • nolaegghead
    edited April 2014
    Options
    I'm not saying they need to be paid by the system, rather let them have the freedom to make money outside of school and get the system to give them medical insurance.
    This is what is fascinating with the Northwestern unionization fight and O'Bannon vs. NCAA. They want the medical care and ability to earn royalties, as opposed to getting paid straight-up.

Yeah, I'm totally on their side.  F the man and all that.
    Options
    Wojo to Marquette!!
    There is gonna be A LOT of floor slapping in Milwaukee come November. DEFENSE!!!!
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    edited April 2014
    Options
    Just do away with college athletics.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• Foghorn
    Options
    @foghorn

Coach K was right, if I recall correctly. Didn't Avery flame out in Europe or something?

Yes.

As for Wojo, I'm curious to see how that works out.  He is one of the big reasons that Duke is hated.  However, he is competitive as hell and seems to be a real student of the game.

San Antonio, TX

• MaskedMarvel
    Options
    Foghorn said:

@foghorn

Yes.

As for Wojo, I'm curious to see how that works out.  He is one of the big reasons that Duke is hated.  However, he is competitive as hell and seems to be a real student of the game.

Hated? By people who hate duke? The students and alums here (nc) love the old player/coaches and actively cheer old players when they coach teams that play at Cameron.

Maybe I'm
    Misreading that.

My guess is he'll do about the same as the other players that go coach - fail at the first school and then have reasonable success at the next. I'm not including Snyder in that.
    Large BGE and Medium BGE

• Eggcelsior
    Options
    I never hated Wojo. It was the 00's guards mostly, Paulas, Redick, Williams... When they transitioned to a "live by the 3, die by the 3" team and stopped relying on a dominant big man. 90's ACC basketball was the best!
  • Foghorn
    Options

The Duke haters I know list Wojo at the top, largely because of the floor slapping. And none of them hated Jason Williams.

You may not be old enough to remember the early 80's in the ACC.  Maryland's team of Albert King, Buck Williams, Ernest Graham, etc was as much fun to watch as UNC's team with Jordan, Worthy, Perkins, etc.  It was a good time to have free seats at Cameron.

San Antonio, TX