Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Do you egg in cycles?

Options
Just wondering who else goes in cycles in terms of egg use. I can go crazy egging every day for a month or so then for some reason I  may loose interest and egg only once every week or two. Now mind you this horrible winter has prevented me from egging very much recently but even in the summer I find I loose interest in egging from time to time.Maybe I just need to try some new recipes as you can only eat ribs and chicken so often.

Maybe I should dig out the old gasser??? .....NOT!!!

Jamie.
Hows ya gettin' on, me ol ****

Kippens.Newfoundland and Labrador. (Canada).

Comments

• onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Options
    I find it to difficult to grill on the egg while cycling.
  • CANMAN1976
    CANMAN1976 Posts: 1,593
    Options
    onedbguru said:
    I find it to difficult to grill on the egg while cycling.
    Not if you drink meteamucil...lol

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    My average is way down from previous years. Was going do egged meatballs tonight but it's snowing like a bear.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited March 2014
    Options
    I've found, living where the seasons and ingredients change helps with regaining interest.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• berndcrisp
    berndcrisp Posts: 1,166
    Options
    Bears snow? 

Really though, I go through cycles. Being single I often just cook something quick on the big kitchen clock in a wok. Weekends are egg time when I slow down and 'que' a lot of stuff for the week.
    Hood Stars, Wrist Crowns and Obsession Dobs!

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I bought my egg about 4 1/2 years ago. For the first 3 1/2-4 years, I used it probably 4 days a week, sometimes more. Got tired of messing with it, especially in the winter. Since Christmas, I have probably used it only 6-8 times. 

That said, the other day, I spatched a chicken on the large. Coffee rub. Drop dead AWESOME chicken!! There is no doubt the food is better. But lately, I have been willing to settle for less cuz I just got tired of the charcoal/cold weather hassle. Maybe when it gets warmer?

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• gmac
    gmac Posts: 1,814
    edited March 2014
    Options
    My Egg stays out all winter but I do find I do more on weekends than during the week.  For me it's more about the kids schedule and when people are around to enjoy the fruits of my labours.  I've been doing more almonds and bacon and the like (not for dinner cooks) and less for dinner cooks recently.  I would say I do two big low and slow cooks per month and maybe 5 fast cooks (chops, sausage, steaks) per month right now.

And bears snow like crazy

Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.
  • Greeno55
    Greeno55 Posts: 635
    Options
    I was just thinking the same thing. This winter has been so long and cold that my use went embarrassingly low. I have been making a bit more of a conscious effort with my meals. All part of a healthier eating lifestyle. And what better way to be eating healthier, than with delicious, get healthy foods.
    LBGE (2012), MiniMax (2014), and too many Eggcessories to list.  - Sudbury, Ontario
  • CANMAN1976
    CANMAN1976 Posts: 1,593
    Options
    Guess climate change and egging go hand in hand. Doesn't she look lonely?

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,846
    Options

My average is way down from previous years. Was going do egged meatballs tonight but it's snowing like a bear.

Wimp.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Eggs are released in cycles... I know someone else was thinking it. Or maybe not... :P
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    At least the light's on. Mine's always in the dark!  :D

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Little Steven
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    Wimp.
    C'mon up here and say that. Y'all were whining when the temps hit 32 as I remember. "Oh my God...It's snowing"

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Foghorn
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    Wimp.
    C'mon up here and say that. Y'all were whining when the temps hit 32 as I remember. "Oh my God...It's snowing"

It appears that you at least learned a little Texan while you were here, but your use of "Y'all" is still not entirely correct. 

In order for it to be correct, I would have to be one of those who whined.  I'm not.  It doesn't get that cold here very often, but before Christmas when it got down to about 20 (F) here - with sleet - I spent the weekend camping out and cooking over a campfire.  I like cooking in cold weather.  I haven't cooked in  "Canada cold" but I'm stubborn and abhor whining/excuses so much that I'd do it.

P.S. For those who don't know, "Y'all" can be singular so that could be addressed to just me.  "All y'all" is defintely plural.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Little Steven
    Options
    I'm very confused

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,393
    Options
    My BGE routine is fairly predictable and routine-big cook(s) on the weekend for entertainment and eats during the week.  Out of routine cooks when called for by the occasion, need or desire.  And the major audible ramp-up when either of my two 20+ year-old sons pass thru the neighborhood eggspecting a major food load upon departure.  Now when both in at the same time that can be an adult beverage consuming marathon.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Foghorn
    Options
    I'm very confused

Sorry.  I'm too wordy and your brain is frozen.  It's a bad combination.

San Antonio, TX

• Little Steven
    Options
    I read it 142 times...got it now...I'm not a smart man

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Philly35
    Philly35 Posts: 858
    Options
    It's been about a week since I have egged, but now I really want some spatched chicken!
    NW IOWA
  • tcampbell
    tcampbell Posts: 771
    Options
    3-4 days a week year around but our winters are not as bad here as up north
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    I egg 1-2 times a week, and only on my days off, my work schedule make egging at night not worth it. I get home at 830, but I'm switching to a 4 10s shift soon which will give me more time to egg.
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Every weekend once or twice. A couple times during the week if I am home, but I travel a lot for work. Spent the past couple of days in Newark, then on to Camden, NJ next week. Garden spots of the East. Air is dirtier than when I'm burning off VOC's.
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    I use the BGE in cycles, but it has more to do with scheduling than with anything else. If I used weather as an excuse, I'd never get to cook outdoors. Even when the weather is warm, the wind often blows. For me the wind is worse than the cold, but when it's cold and windy I just suck it up and grill. I'd rather shovel snow to get to my egg than cook a steak in the house.
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,194
    Options
    Egging right now, its been a few days since the last.  Since January I have been teaching a class right after my day job, so I don't get home until 730.  That leaves me little time, which goes towards my wife and kids.  During the summer I go back to "normal" hours.  So the frequency will go up.  It was sad to fire up the small tonight and the cast iron grate had rust and mold everywhere.
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,581
    Options
    I got my Egg for Christmas. I have cooked every weekend and pretty much every night. My wife is enjoying all the food, but we haven't been out much. I spend most of my day thinking what I can cook next and watching my weather app....I am also inspired by the Forum and all the great cooks/chefs!!!! My gasser is looking a bit forlorn..
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I find this to be true, and I suppose it depends largely on work demands and kids schedule.  Some weeks I will cook 1-3 meals during the week and then one or two on the weekends. If I have a busy work week and I am working late I don't get in the mid-week meals.  My son also plays travel baseball so we have tournaments most weekends, and sometimes it kills any time to egg during the weekend.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options

I would say I definitely go in cycles. Sometimes even just cooking in general. I haven't felt like cooking in awhile now. When it happens, I just step back and let the wife do the cooking for awhileIf I try to force myself, it takes longer to get through the down periods.

@Foghorn I find "all y'all" to be a bit redundant. Y'all is "you all" so saying "all you all" doesn't make sense. Plus, us Texans are lazy. Why would we say an extra word if we could just eliminate it? ;)

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• lakewade
    lakewade Posts: 385
    Options
    Hi y'all.

I've cooked on the egg at least twice a week since I got it (5+ years), unless I am out of town.  Many weeks we cook on it 4+ times.  There is no hassle at all to get it going and ready, easier than a gasser when you get the hang of it, but I'm not dealing with the polar vortex cold stuff you guys up North do. 

-----------
    I feel a whole lot more like I do now than I did when I got here.
  • ambrodsky
    ambrodsky Posts: 19
    Options
    This winter has kept me from wanting to be outside and use the egg.  Once it warms up I will be back at it several times a week....at least I hope I will be.
  • BigGreenCraigdotcom
    Options
    This is almost grounds for Egghead nullification!!!!