Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Quest for Smoke Penetration

Options
I'm preparing my flat. It's a #6 flat with nice marbling. I rinsed it and dried it off, injected with fresh but cold black coffee, applied my rub and now she's back in the refrigerator. I've always had a decent smoke ring but, how can I get deeper penetration of smoke for an even better smoke ring??? I'll be using Wicked Good Weekend Warrior Lump (for the first time) and using Mesquite wood chunks and Cherry wood chips for smoke. What do y'all say??? I'll post more pics as it progresses. Going on in a few hours.
LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL

Comments

• Chris_Wang
    Chris_Wang Posts: 1,254
    Options
    Keep it in the fridge until it's time to put in the egg. That'll be one way to improve your smoke ring.

Ball Ground, GA

ATL Sports Homer

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Smoke rings form up to about 140º, I've heard of folks putting meat in the freezer for 15 minutes or so before a cook to keep the outside temp lower, never done it. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited March 2014
    Options
    @Chris_Wang‌ & @Skiddymarker‌...I've heard conflicting opinion this. Ie. Some say allow to sit out 30minutes to an hour to allow muscle to relax & others put straight from frig to egg. I've done both. With beef its not a huge problem to let it come up in temp (not like poultry or pork). But, seems like my better smoke has been on the relaxed muscle. Have you had better success frig to egg??
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • Chris_Wang
    Options
    I believe Cen-Tex was the one who mentioned this about 8-9 months ago.

I like to let mine sit on the counter for about 30 minutes also. However, if you want an easy trick to get a more prominent smoke ring, going straight from fridge to egg is the answer. I don't remember the temp, but meat will only absorb smoke up to a certain temperature. So if you start smoking the meat and it's at a colder temp, that means it will absorb smoke for a longer period of time.

Ball Ground, GA

ATL Sports Homer

• Chris_Wang
    Options
    Just saw skiddy's answer. Looks like 140° is that temp.

Ball Ground, GA

ATL Sports Homer

• NPHuskerFL
    Options
    Ok. Cen-Tex thread seems logical. I'll stay with frig to smokin' egg.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • yogi84
    yogi84 Posts: 189
    Options
    although a smoke ring doens't really add flavor if you must have one then try pink salt nitrate=smokering
  • BckPorchGriln
    BckPorchGriln Posts: 99
    edited March 2014
    Options

I believe this link http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/comment/1472798#Comment_1472798   is where you can find how to add that beautiful smoke ring. Keeping in mind it really is all about appearance here. LOL! NOT!

Demorest, Ga.    1MBGE
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    edited March 2014
    Options
    I asked this before and got no answers so let me run this up the flag pole again. Note the smoke ring on these spare ribs from last Sunday. Pretty good penetration, huh?
    imageNow will someone tell me how that smoke ring happened as there was absolutely NO wood chips, nor chunks in that egg? Thanks! And the lump was RO.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Chris_Wang
    edited March 2014
    Options
    Doesn't the lump produce smoke by itself? RO is a mixture of hickory and oak, right?

@stlcharcoal‌ can chime in on this one

Ball Ground, GA

ATL Sports Homer

• BckPorchGriln
    Options

+1 on the smoke coming from the lump, also a possiblility is that you have smoke seeping from the egg itself. It being seasoned and all.

Demorest, Ga.    1MBGE
  • Chris_Wang
    Options
    @RRP those ribs look lip smakin' good, sir!

Ball Ground, GA

ATL Sports Homer

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Fact: Smoke does not cause smoke rings......discuss
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Chris_Wang
    Options
    Hashtag Gamechanger

Ball Ground, GA

ATL Sports Homer

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I actually disproved that (cold meat) 6 months ago. It has nothing to do with temp. It has to do with moisture or nitrates. It's not a smoke ring at all, it's really a chemical reaction ring but that doesn't have the same.....wait for it........ring to it. Boom!
  • Chris_Wang
    Options
    CT... If I miss one post of yours, it's detrimental to my learning curve.

Ball Ground, GA

ATL Sports Homer

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    CT... If I miss one post of yours, it's detrimental to my learning curve.

You need to get out more :))
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    RRP said:
    I asked this before and got no answers so let me run this up the flag pole again. Note the smoke ring on these spare ribs from last Sunday. Pretty good penetration, huh?
    imageNow will someone tell me how that smoke ring happened as there was absolutely NO wood chips, nor chunks in that egg? Thanks! And the lump was RO.

You either had nitrates/nitrites in your rub (celery salt is a like culprit in many rubs) or it was very humid or raining out. Or both. Smoke rings are not caused by smoke
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    @RRP‌...very nice on the spare ribs. @The Cen-Tex Smoker‌ ok so does the smoke only serve as flavor? Perhaps my homemade rub has the nitrates needed for a smoke ring then. This flat will help me in that quest. I love a beautiful bark and smoke ring. This one was just put on my Large. Brisket was at 33F, dome at 235F, indirect with p.s. legs up, raised grid, using WGWW and mesquite wood and cherrywood mixture. We will see the progress. Thank you everybody for all your tips. The chemistry lesson was also interesting :-). I'm a simple HVAC/R guy so I'm not trying to reinvent the wheel just trying to get a near perfect brisket. ;-). Will post update pics. Thank you y'all.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    ...Ah crap this is a first. Woke up to dome temp at 170F. Quickly opened bottom vent and back on track sitting at 250F dome and remarkably the mesquite and cherry are both still smoking strong. I'm not sure how long it had been like this low temp. Brisket temp at 140F and looks like pic below at this stage. Hoping this dip in temp didn't dry it out...it still physically looks moist but, I also have an estimated 4 hrs left (thankfully this didn't happen during a 12#-20# packer or I'd be completely SOL time wise). This almost makes me want a digi, maverick or something of that nature but, thatb being said I've seen this happen to folks even with automated blowers. So am I screwed ie dry brisket? And do the majority of you use automated blowers for airflow control etc (and if so which one seems to be the most reliable? Do they also take meat temp etc)?
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    You are fine. Fire it up and power through. Hope you weren't wanting to eat it for lunch. If you were, time to crutch. Otherwise, you have many, many hours to go.
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    Woah Nelly! I was at 140F less than an hour ago and now at 200F in the thickest part of flat. Pull it? Dang usually it will plateau at 170 or so.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    No. That is impossible unless you are cooking at 400 degrees.
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    Damn it! I need a thermapen! I'll try my calibrated fluke meter probe this is freaking way off. Dagumnit!
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Your probe is wrong. You either weren't at 140 or you aren't at 200. No way you are at 200 if you cooked at 170 all night.
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    @The Cen-Tex Smoker‌ +3 yep...showing 160F i.t.on my Fluke food probe which at this point is the only probe I have that I can trust. Thankfully the dome thermometer is correct (proved it with my Fluke clamp on air thermistor). Now to wait for the plateau. ?is there a good, better, best when purchasing a thermapen?
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    You have a long day ahead of you so if you get close to dinner and it's not coming out of the stall, let me know and I'll show you how to push it through. I have the regular thermapen. Would buy the back lit if it were buying one today. The cheaper therma pop should be fine too. I think it's like $29 or something like that. Do you have a maverick or anything like that? Those are useful as well. I have a cyber q but only use it if I am gone
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    @The Cen-Tex Smoker‌ nope nothing just flying by the seat of my pants. Ok will look at cyber q or maverick but, up till now haven't had this issue. But, can easily see its BENEFITS. Perhaps this is a dumb question but, doesn't the cyber q, digi and maverick all have a food probe and grid thermistor probe? That would most definitely be sweet to have on an overnight like this one. So at that point do you still use your thermapen? I'll be buying the thermapen before I get anything else because I check temp on everything I cook.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    They all have food and temp probes. I use my thermapen on almost every cook and I use it on briskets as a probe to test for tenderness