Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Now I understand why you have multiple eggs

I threw on a 6lb butt at 6:30 this morning, I will toss 3 racks of baby backs on at 2pm, and beans will go on at 4:30 for a 6pm dinner tonight. I will be able to squeeze it all on my large egg thanks to my adjustable rig, but it would be a lot easier with 2 eggs.

Comments

• SkiddymarkerSkiddymarker Posts: 8,045
    Sounds like you have found the excuse, so what size are you getting next?
    Delta B.C. - Move over coffee, this is job for alcohol!

You have learned well, Grasshopper.

.......................................................................................

Flint, MI

• smokesniffersmokesniffer Posts: 2,016
    You're going to love that second egg, Get er done ;) ;)
    Large, small, and a mini
  • I have been on the fence about what to get as a second. I had been leaning towards small because I want it to be big enough I can still do a low temp slow cook but now that the Mini-Max is coming, I may have to rethink it.
    LBGE 2013, SBGE 2014, Mini 2015
    Columbus IN
  • Doc_EggertonDoc_Eggerton Posts: 5,060
    I use my medium quite a bit, but anything smaller would be much more difficult.  If you take cost out of the picture, you can do anything from a small cook to a large cook on an XL.  Just because it has a big fire box does not mean you have to load it up every time.

XLBGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to my daughter), MBGE and lots of toys

• nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 22,331
    I'm with Doc on this.....I think a medium is a perfect compliment to a large or XL.  I use the large for all indirects and the medium is always ready for directs.

• GeorgeSGeorgeS Posts: 949
    edited March 2014
    Doc_Eggerton you are my hero! My wife would send me to see one of those special doctors if I even thought about storing one egg let alone three in my house!! @-)
    Bristow Virginia XLBGE One of the best feelings in life is watching other people enjoy the food I cooked!
    Well, they aren't in the house exactly, they are on the covered deck by the pool.

• I would agree that the medium makes the best compliment but I would love to have something that is somewhat portable for family gatherings and camping trips. Oh and I would love to have that covered deck!
    LBGE 2013, SBGE 2014, Mini 2015
    Columbus IN
  • ATLJackATLJack Posts: 15
    I am thinking about another large simply because my adjustable rig and grates would fit both eggs.
  • Just priced a second Egg this weekend, I'm considering adding a Medium to my arsenal. 

• ATLJackATLJack Posts: 15
    I don't think I allowed enough time for the butt. It stalled at 165 for longer than I anticipated, then it seems to have stalled again at 174 and I need to put food on the table in 1 hour. I am going to run the dome temp up to 300 and hope it finishes.
    I have a Large because that is what I first bought.  I have an XL because it did not take me long to realize that is what I needed.  I have a Medium because I sort of inherited it.

Portability is not an issue for me.  If I could start all over again I would have two or maybe three XLs.

• FATC1TYFATC1TY Posts: 766
    Wow, didn't see about the Mini-Max.

I've been prodding the wife about maybe getting another egg. I love my Large, and I simply can't see my needs to expand to need an XL..

But a medium, or a small would be great to have for small quick direct cooks during the week. As is, I use my egg no less than 3 times a week, and thats in the winter!

The mini-max would be awesome to use here at the house for small cook, yet, pack it up and take it to our place in the NC mtns for the spring-fall.
    -FATC1TY
    Grillin' and Brewing in Atlanta
    LBGE
    MiniMax
  • flynnbobflynnbob Posts: 647
    Well, they aren't in the house exactly, they are on the covered deck by the pool.
    Sorry, Doc - I hit the Disagree button by mistake - Was just looking at who disagreed with you.  My Bad. Love your posts!
    Milton, GA.
    flynnbob said:
    Sorry, Doc - I hit the Disagree button by mistake - Was just looking at who disagreed with you.  My Bad. Love your posts!
    I don't even look at those things.  Hope I share some interesting cooks with you.

This is my line-up.  The XL is the workhorse here at home.  We go on picnics and cook at my Mom's as well.  I bought the small for this purpose and it works well.  We added the mini when my back was acting up and it's easier to carry.  I find that they compliment each other and take them both routinely.

.......................................................................................

Flint, MI

This is my line-up.  The XL is the workhorse here at home.  We go on picnics and cook at my Mom's as well.  I bought the small for this purpose and it works well.  We added the mini when my back was acting up and it's easier to carry.  I find that they compliment each other and take them both routinely.

+

• I take my small to my camp during deer season. I cook low and slows on it all the time. I love that its somewhat portable. I'm thinking I'm gonna buy another large to
    Leave down there and then have my small as an extra here at home. I think my wife would have a stroke if I bought a mini or minimax.

Little Rock, AR

• MickeyMickey Posts: 18,260
    Think of kitchen. Mine has a double oven. So I have two Larges for the work but use my Mini 75% of the time for my wife and I. image
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

• Mattman3969Mattman3969 Posts: 7,214
    @mickey - looks like you have a double oven and a warming drawer JK - no mini bashing here!!

-----------------------------------------

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Ladeback69Ladeback69 Posts: 4,278
    I get my XLBGE tomorrow, I currently have a WSM 22.5 and will be keeping it to help in smoking more meat. The XL will be great for the long cooks, but the WSM has two tiers already and it makes it easy to put the beans in a dutch oven on the bottom with a brisket and ribs on the top. I couldn't justify another one unless i got rid of the WSM. It took me 8 years to convince my better half to get the XLBGE. Good luck on getting your next one. I chose the XL so i can do 20 plus burgers or 10 or 12 steaks at one time on those special times like the 4th of July.
    XL, WSM, Little Kahuna, Coleman RoadTrip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • I love my XL and Medium combo! I use the medium most of the time now. The medium is portable enough. Mine made its first road trip this weekend.
    XL & Medium BGE Keller, TX