Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Now I understand why you have multiple eggs

Options
I threw on a 6lb butt at 6:30 this morning, I will toss 3 racks of baby backs on at 2pm, and beans will go on at 4:30 for a 6pm dinner tonight. I will be able to squeeze it all on my large egg thanks to my adjustable rig, but it would be a lot easier with 2 eggs.

Comments

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Sounds like you have found the excuse, so what size are you getting next?
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options

You have learned well, Grasshopper.

Flint, Michigan
  • smokesniffer
    smokesniffer Posts: 2,016
    Options
    You're going to love that second egg, Get er done ;);)
    Large, small, and a mini
  • Egghead_Daron
    Options
    I have been on the fence about what to get as a second. I had been leaning towards small because I want it to be big enough I can still do a low temp slow cook but now that the Mini-Max is coming, I may have to rethink it.
    LBGE 2013, SBGE 2014, Mini 2015
    Columbus IN
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Options
    I use my medium quite a bit, but anything smaller would be much more difficult.  If you take cost out of the picture, you can do anything from a small cook to a large cook on an XL.  Just because it has a big fire box does not mean you have to load it up every time.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I'm with Doc on this.....I think a medium is a perfect compliment to a large or XL.  I use the large for all indirects and the medium is always ready for directs.
    edited March 2014
    Options
    Doc_Eggerton you are my hero! My wife would send me to see one of those special doctors if I even thought about storing one egg let alone three in my house!! @-)
    Bristow Virginia XL&Mini One of the best feelings in life is watching other people enjoy the food I cooked!
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Options
    Well, they aren't in the house exactly, they are on the covered deck by the pool.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Egghead_Daron
    Options
    I would agree that the medium makes the best compliment but I would love to have something that is somewhat portable for family gatherings and camping trips. Oh and I would love to have that covered deck!
    LBGE 2013, SBGE 2014, Mini 2015
    Columbus IN
  • ATLJack
    ATLJack Posts: 16
    Options
    I am thinking about another large simply because my adjustable rig and grates would fit both eggs.
  • BigGreenCraigdotcom
    Options
    Just priced a second Egg this weekend, I'm considering adding a Medium to my arsenal. 
  • ATLJack
    ATLJack Posts: 16
    Options
    I don't think I allowed enough time for the butt. It stalled at 165 for longer than I anticipated, then it seems to have stalled again at 174 and I need to put food on the table in 1 hour. I am going to run the dome temp up to 300 and hope it finishes.
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Options
    I have a Large because that is what I first bought.  I have an XL because it did not take me long to realize that is what I needed.  I have a Medium because I sort of inherited it.

Portability is not an issue for me.  If I could start all over again I would have two or maybe three XLs.

• FATC1TY
    FATC1TY Posts: 888
    Options
    Wow, didn't see about the Mini-Max.

I've been prodding the wife about maybe getting another egg. I love my Large, and I simply can't see my needs to expand to need an XL..

But a medium, or a small would be great to have for small quick direct cooks during the week. As is, I use my egg no less than 3 times a week, and thats in the winter!

The mini-max would be awesome to use here at the house for small cook, yet, pack it up and take it to our place in the NC mtns for the spring-fall.
    -FATC1TY
    Grillin' and Brewing in Atlanta
    LBGE
    MiniMax
  • flynnbob
    flynnbob Posts: 665
    Options
    Well, they aren't in the house exactly, they are on the covered deck by the pool.
    Sorry, Doc - I hit the Disagree button by mistake - Was just looking at who disagreed with you.  My Bad. Love your posts!
    Milton, GA.
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Options
    flynnbob said:
    Sorry, Doc - I hit the Disagree button by mistake - Was just looking at who disagreed with you.  My Bad. Love your posts!
    I don't even look at those things.  Hope I share some interesting cooks with you.

• Fred19Flintstone
    Options

This is my line-up.  The XL is the workhorse here at home.  We go on picnics and cook at my Mom's as well.  I bought the small for this purpose and it works well.  We added the mini when my back was acting up and it's easier to carry.  I find that they compliment each other and take them both routinely.

Flint, Michigan
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Options

This is my line-up.  The XL is the workhorse here at home.  We go on picnics and cook at my Mom's as well.  I bought the small for this purpose and it works well.  We added the mini when my back was acting up and it's easier to carry.  I find that they compliment each other and take them both routinely.

+

• Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    I take my small to my camp during deer season. I cook low and slows on it all the time. I love that its somewhat portable. I'm thinking I'm gonna buy another large to
    Leave down there and then have my small as an extra here at home. I think my wife would have a stroke if I bought a mini or minimax.

Little Rock, AR

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Think of kitchen. Mine has a double oven. So I have two Larges for the work but use my Mini 75% of the time for my wife and I. image
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    @mickey - looks like you have a double oven and a warming drawer JK - no mini bashing here!!

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    I get my XLBGE tomorrow, I currently have a WSM 22.5 and will be keeping it to help in smoking more meat. The XL will be great for the long cooks, but the WSM has two tiers already and it makes it easy to put the beans in a dutch oven on the bottom with a brisket and ribs on the top. I couldn't justify another one unless i got rid of the WSM. It took me 8 years to convince my better half to get the XLBGE. Good luck on getting your next one. I chose the XL so i can do 20 plus burgers or 10 or 12 steaks at one time on those special times like the 4th of July.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Smokin_Good
    Options
    I love my XL and Medium combo! I use the medium most of the time now. The medium is portable enough. Mine made its first road trip this weekend.
    XL BGE, Medium BGE, 36" Blackstone, UDS, Red Weber Kettle & LSG Large IVS
    Keller, TX