Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

boston butt competition

Options

Every time I do a butt on the Egg I cook to 205ish which always turns out great pulled pork.  That said, in a competition where I would want to give some chopped and sliced from the money muscle I assume I would need to cook a second one at the same time and pull that one off early.  What is a good internal temp to pull if I want a nice slice and chop?

Also would you wait to slice it until you got the pull from the second one?  How would you work the logistics :)

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Sir im at work but if you can give me a while i will offer you some alternitives when i get some free time.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    Options
    Let me ask a quick question. Do you know how to seperate the money muscle from a shoulder once cooked? You answer will determine my response.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    edited March 2014
    Options
    SGH said:

Let me ask a quick question. Do you know how to seperate the money muscle from a shoulder once cooked? You answer will determine my response.

You're a knowledgeable old fart...I'm ready to see some dang egg cooks from ya. :P I'd like to see your creativity on the egg cause I'm sure it will be awesome.

Patiently waiting, but not really. :-w
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    I agree with @cazzy. @SGH has enough cooking tools to cook enough food to last me 6wks or more and enough knowledge to make most of us look like NEWBS. It won't be long before he bust loose and blows all of our minds. Don't be shy @SGH.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • SGH
    Options
    cazzy said:
    You're a knowledgeable old fart...I'm ready to see some dang egg cooks from ya. :P I'd like to see your creativity on the egg cause I'm sure it will be awesome. Patiently waiting, but not really. :-w
    Im going to post some egg cooks brother.Im working a real odd shift this week. I have my egg took apart trying my luck at installing a Rutland gasket. Once installed i will post away.

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    I agree with @cazzy. @SGH has enough cooking tools to cook enough food to last me 6wks or more and enough knowledge to make most of us look like NEWBS. It won't be long before he bust loose and blows all of our minds. Don't be shy @SGH.
    Thanks for the kind words brother. I am going to post a whole hog cook real soon.

Status- Standing by.

• SMITTYtheSMOKER
    Options

To slice we stop at a 175/180 range, and give it a rest of 1 hour.

We have a great deal of success this past year with pork by not offering pulled at all.  We score better doing sliced MM, with large (thumb sized) chunks with good bark.

Good luck.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• hugewineo
    hugewineo Posts: 49
    Options
    Thank you Smitty!  SGH, I have tried to separate it but as I said, I cook to pull so if I try to slice at 200+ if falls apart.   Any word of wisdom appreciated.
  • Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    Options
    What is the money muscle (Lil Steen is excluded from commenting on this post)
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    I'm not Lil Steen so I will comment. It's the same place it was last time we were together sweetness

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options

What is the money muscle (Lil Steen is excluded from commenting on this post)

It's the striated end of the pork butt aka "tiger muscle"