Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

anyone grill without the fire ring??

Options
I was wondering if anyone has done this, or if it would be harmful to the egg itself. My idea was that the grill would rest on the firebox ring, lowering it down and then being able to place another grill on top of the one on the firebox. Does the fire ring help as an insulator against the ceramics of the egg itself. Was thinking that if this was do-able , you could put more butts or brisket on and still use the PS.
Large, small, and a mini

Comments

• Fred19Flintstone
    Options

I don't, but I made an exception here.  Here's a thread from last year about doing a chicken vertically in my mini.  The fire ring must be removed to make space for it.

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1148441/mini-chicken-a-la-the-smoking-guitar-player-a-spatched-chickie-on-the-small-plenty-o-pix#latest

Flint, Michigan
  • smokesniffer
    smokesniffer Posts: 2,016
    edited February 2014
    Options
    @Fred, cool that is what I was thinking, getting the grill down lower, no ill affects on the egg without the upper ring??
    Large, small, and a mini
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,794
    Options
    smokesniffer Im no eggspert but im going to chime in any way. Something I have noticed about different year eggs is that the taper on the body is different. That being said you can get away with it on some eggs but not others. Look and see how close your grate is to the walls with the fire ring out. If there is not a pretty good gap i would not chance it. I have a friend who was doing the very thing that you are considering and the cast iron grate expanded and busted the wall of his egg. I am speaking of large eggs only as they are the only ones im familar with. Maybe others can give you more info but my advice is to look very close at the distance from your grate to you wall before you chance it. You have been warned my friend. Proceed at your own risk my friend.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    Options
    This is just my opinion but if you are trying to get closer to the lump for searing i would recommend a spider over removing the fire ring. Always better to be safe than sorry. Hope this helps.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    @Fred, cool that is what I was thinking, getting the grill down lower, no ill affects on the egg without the upper ring??
    No ill effects on the mini.  That is the only time I've cooked without the fire ring in any of my eggs so I'm no expert.  If your goal is to get the grill lower, check into the spider from www.ceramicgrillstore.com.  If you want your grid closer to the lump, the simple solution would be to load more lump (bringing the lump closer to the grid).  Just a thought.  Good luck!
    Flint, Michigan
  • smokesniffer
    Options
    Thanks for the info and caution in considering this. Sounds like this could be a dangerous idea. Think I will reconsider my options and take a look at the spider.
    Large, small, and a mini
  • JEC23
    JEC23 Posts: 131
    Options
    I'm fairly certain that will void your warranty if something went wrong, not sure how they would tell but not worth the risk for me, go for the spider or maybe the reduced height fire ring if you have a large (judging by the regret thread you should be able to pick one up cheap from another member
  • cookingdude555
    Options
    Yes, I've done it on the mini and the small.
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    I have done it on the small to gain height to cook a ham with no issues

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • bettysnephew
    Options
    It would not work on my XL when the Great Turkey Fiasco happened last Thanksgiving.  The grid is too large to fit down upon the lower rim and I figured expansion might break the wall of the Egg so did not proceed.  Your Egg depending on when it was made may fit differently, but make sure there is room for the grid to expand as noted above.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • smokesniffer
    Options
    Thanks everyone.
    Large, small, and a mini
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,675
    Options
    Lots do for hot and fast steak.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• MaskedMarvel
    Options
    JEC23 said:
    I'm fairly certain that will void your warranty if something went wrong, not sure how they would tell but not worth the risk for me, go for the spider or maybe the reduced height fire ring if you have a large (judging by the regret thread you should be able to pick one up cheap from another member

Voids the warranty? I don't think so. Are you putting lump above the firebox against the wall of the egg?
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• smokesniffer
    Options
    JEC23 said:

Voids the warranty? I don't think so. Are you putting lump above the firebox against the wall of the egg?
    I would not be putting lump above the fire box, just taking out the fire ring so that I would end up with more depth in the egg, due to the fire ring being taken out. My rational was gaining some depth for say more pork butts or briskets. Layers if you will. Was thinking about taking the ring out of either my small or large egg and then using a second grill. Biggest concern is: am I taking to much of a risk of cracking my egg.
    Large, small, and a mini
  • smokesniffer
    Options
    Mickey said:
    Lots do for hot and fast steak.
    with this being said, I really shouldn't have any trouble with a low and slow cook huh. Just not as much capacity for lump. I don't that would be an issue with the large, not sure with the small on a longer cook.
    Large, small, and a mini
  • SGH
    Options
    smokesniffer  Dont chance it brother. I will send you my spider if you are desperate but please dont risk busting your egg.

Status- Standing by.

• smokesniffer
    Options
    SGH said:
    smokesniffer  Dont chance it brother. I will send you my spider if you are desperate but please dont risk busting your egg.

@SGH, Ok you win ;).  I won't do it. I promise.. Let this thread die :D
    Large, small, and a mini
  • MaskedMarvel
    Options
    Nah - go for it.  If the lump isn't up against the wall of the Egg you're not pressing anything up against it, you're fine.  Honestly, I don't even think having lump over the firebox against the wall would hurt it, either.  It's kiln ceramic.  High heat is what it does... You're under warranty right?

I just don't know if I could get enough lump in the firebox for a low and slow..
    Large BGE and Medium BGE

• MaskedMarvel
    Options
    You should get a spider, regardless.  One of what I consider the essentials for good Egging.
    Large BGE and Medium BGE

• SGH
    Options
    rip-tombstone.jpgIts dead brother!

Status- Standing by.

• smokesniffer
    Options
    @SGH  Amen Brother!
    Large, small, and a mini
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options

I don't, but I made an exception here.  Here's a thread from last year about doing a chicken vertically in my mini.  The fire ring must be removed to make space for it.

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1148441/mini-chicken-a-la-the-smoking-guitar-player-a-spatched-chickie-on-the-small-plenty-o-pix#latest

Very good post, @Fred, thanks.  I couldn't tell, did you use thek old beer can trick to sit the bird up in the mini?
    I'd llke to try that.
    TIA
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • laserdoc85
    Options
    I allways remove my fire ring and drop my grate down on top of the fire box when I'm cooking steaks. No bad effects on my 14 year old medium egg.
    Jefferson .GA.  
    Been egging since 1985 on a medium egg
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    jaydub58 said:

Very good post, @Fred, thanks.  I couldn't tell, did you use thek old beer can trick to sit the bird up in the mini?
    I'd llke to try that.
    TIA
    When I did that, I used a beer butt chicken holder, but no beer.  I cooked that at my Mom's house and she likes her beverages from a bottle.  Not a beer can in sight.  I wasn't bright enough to pick up a six pack when I went there, but I was bright enough to drink her free beer while I was cooking.
    Flint, Michigan