Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Maverick Out Of Whack

Options
I did a pulled beef a few weeks ago and my Maverick was reading way low in comparison to my thermopen. Usually they are pretty close. I'm assuming my maverick is crapping out, or could it be the probe? I like my Maverick for low and slows. If I can get it fixed with a new probe, that would be great. Any thoughts?
Mark Annville, PA

Comments

• grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    First thought is boil some water and check all your thermometers and probes. This would also be a good time to calibrate your dome thermo. This will tell you all you need to know.
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• cortguitarman
    Options
    @grge345 good thoughts on the water. The dome thermometer was my first thought as I usually calibrate it for every low and slow and I didn't this time. I did check it the other day and it was on within 10 degrees. Cross checked with my thermopen and the thermopen was right on the money.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
    Options
    Might try changing the batteries. ;;)
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited February 2014
    Options
    GrannyX4 said:
    Might try changing the batteries. ;;)
    Try this unless you know they are good. My Mav went crazy everything from false alarms to LLL HHH then accurate (or at least close to the dome thermo accurate). I changed the batteries and back to normal. I also took the down time to change the foil wrap on the probe cable junction. 

EDIT - If you suspect one probe, reverse them and see if the issue is still there. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Options
    Curious as to how your water check goes. Mine reads too high and I sent it back to Maverick for a warranty replacement and they sent it back saying it checked out fine and suggested I make sure the probes are fully plugged in. :-L They also sent me a new hybrid probe so I can accurately misread my temps. X( If can probably find and send you a probe if you find that is your issue.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • cortguitarman
    Options
    It may be the batteries. It lives in my storage bin under my egg. Batteries are 2 years old and haven't been changed. They have withstood the winter blast but perhaps they are ready to crap out.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    My maverick has done that sort of thing since I bought it. I don't trust it further than I can throw it so I just use it for "gross estimation" of temp.
  • cortguitarman
    Options
    @eggcelsior, this was a first. Mine has worked great for 2 years.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    I think they have QC issues. That's why most work well for people and a few don't like it. I did a bunch of tests and it read consistently off, so I know it's not user error. I made a post last year where the temp was reading 108 when it was 25 outside during a cook(I let it sit out for 30 minutes). I got a good deal on it so I'm not going to invest anymore money into it.
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options

I have a [almost] new receiver unit and probes for a 732 that were only used twice if you need them.  A customer cooked his transmitter and elected to just buy a new 733 from me rather than order a 732 transmitter.  I gave him the 733 at cost, and he gave me the 732 for parts.

• Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Options
    Mine has never worked right. New probes, new batteries, no bueno. I quit using it a year ago.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    Options
    My 732 works very well ( only 2 months old and have used it 9 times counting my ongoing slow and low as we speak. I bought a couple of extra probes and I clip one onto the Dome probe for redundancy.

Better safe than sorry !!

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !!