Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Deep fry

Options
Has anyone tried to deep fry on the egg? Is it possible to get oil to temp for it to be a success? I'm thinking 350-375.

Thanks!
Chester, MD

Comments

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options

Sounds like you're asking for a grease fire.
    NOLA
  • Dave in Florida
    Options
    I saw it done at the Florida Egg fest.  Hopefully one of the cooks will chime in.  But he was frying with a cast iron skillet on his egg.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    Hmm, that's a reasonable point.
    NOLA
  • Gogogordy
    Gogogordy Posts: 460
    edited February 2014
    Options
    Frying on the egg is safer then a inside gas stove IMHO . Grease fire outside where you can shut down the egg ? Or inside where the fire has much more important stuff on fire
    Inside you have much greater control of the base heat, temp-wise and instantaneous (near instant if electric) shut down of it. Frying on the Egg....what is there to gain?
    When I'm not Eggin', I'm scootin'   Eggin' and 'cueing from Temecula Ca; an hour from San Diego, an hour and five minutes from Palm Springs, and an hour and a half from Los Angeles (yeah, right. With THAT traffic?)
  • Little Steven
    Options
    I have done it and feel the same was as @mountaindewbass. It is probably safer than on a stove but the safest way is to buy a single burner induction element and do it on that, Not enough heat on the unit for combustion.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    I've done chicken fried chicken on the egg...
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    I have done it and feel the same was as @mountaindewbass. It is probably safer than on a stove but the safest way is to buy a single burner induction element and do it on that, Not enough heat on the unit for combustion.
    Or buy a deep fryer. 
    IMO the egg can cook pretty much anything, but it is not the best or wisest tool choice for specific cooks. Although you could use an egg, deep frying is one cook that is much safer and better using another option. Stir fry (wok) is also a cook better done with a wok burner, much better temp control (hotter than an egg and can be turned down in seconds) and no need to wear welding gloves. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!