Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chuck Roast Advice

Options
grussem
grussem Posts: 120
Hello,

I'm thinking of doing a smoked chuck roast here this weekend.  If anyone has done this before how similar to a brisket is it and do you prepare it similarly (injections, rubs etc...)?  Also, I've been thinking, I wonder if you can make burnt ends out of it at all.  Just a few thoughts.  Not sure if I want it for shredded beef or if I want to slice it yet.  Anyway, any thoughts would be great!

Comments

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    Google clay q's pulled beef. Comes out good. I have never sliced the beef but its very similar to pulled pork I would bet. Cook to 200-205 to pull and 185ish to slice.
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Options
    A few folks here were on a Pepper Stout Beef kick for a while. Check out: http://wolfepit.blogspot.com/2009/10/pepper-stout-beef.html?m=1

It's a very good cook with chuck roast IMO. Here's my last batch:http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1160769/pepper-stout-beef#latest
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • grussem
    grussem Posts: 120
    Options
    Thanks for the tips fellas, I'm looking forward to it.
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    grussem said:
    Hello,

I'm thinking of doing a smoked chuck roast here this weekend.  If anyone has done this before how similar to a brisket is it and do you prepare it similarly (injections, rubs etc...)?  Also, I've been thinking, I wonder if you can make burnt ends out of it at all.  Just a few thoughts.  Not sure if I want it for shredded beef or if I want to slice it yet.  Anyway, any thoughts would be great!
    Howdy Grussem. I have done several of them around 20 pounds. It is much like a brisket, but takes longer and it's  harder to kill. For me they get a coating of kosher salt, and a heavy dose of cowlick. I like to put them on about 10pm-midnight, 225-230, and let them go until I wake up. It's usually sitting about 160-165 in the morning. Double wrap in foil and return to cooker. Usually about 1 or 2pm it has reached 295-200, and what point I pull it off, cover and rest for a few hours until it's time to eat. Slicing the thing doesn't really make sense….there are so many different muscles. However, while you are pulling it, you might find a large muscle or two inside that you want to slice for your presentation.

I do Shoulder Clods (very similar) for our snow camping trip every year, and we're headed out next week! Happy cookin
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    I have had very good luck with chuckies using the method Chris just described. They generally at the pulling point around 195-205. Can't wait to see how yours do.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • EggSpinner
    Options
    I just did a chuck roast using the recipe/marinade from Mr & Mrs Potatohead in this post
    last weekend and we thought it turned out great. Depending on the temp you pull it at, anywhere from 185 to 205, you can slice or pull. I cooked at 225 then pulled the roast at 190 IT and sliced.  Added a few things to the reserved marinade and it made a great sauce.

Michael 

Winston Salem, NC